none
manifest authoring warning 81010002: Unrecognized Element "requestedPrivileges"

    Question

  • I am getting this warning after adding trustInfo for TEST CASE #1

    manifest authoring warning 81010002: Unrecognized Element "requestedPrivileges" in namespace "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3".

    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
    <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
        <security>
          <requestedPrivileges>
            <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"/>
          </requestedPrivileges>
        </security>
    </trustInfo>
    </assembly>

     

    Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:11 AM

Answers

  • I have found that the only mt.exe that works properly is version 5.2.3790.2075 dated 10/19/2006. There are actually other copies of mt.exe with the same version number but with a different date. The mt.exe that works came with the Vista SDK. You will find many copies of mt.exe. I replaced all with the 10/19/2006 version and now I get no manifest embedding error messages and end up with an EXE that builds on XP and works on XP and Vista.
    Wednesday, March 07, 2007 4:26 PM

All replies

  • How are you putting the manifest info into the exe?

    This might be related to your problem:

    http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=258108

    I've also heard another workaround solution is to explicitly add version tags into the trustinfo section of the manifest.

    You can also put the manifest directly into the EXE at compile time with Visual Studio.  C++ it's really easy to add the manifest, C# requires quite a few steps to get it in there.

     

     

     

    Thursday, February 22, 2007 7:39 PM
  • Thanks Bruce.

    I am simply using the "Manifest Tool->Additional Manifest Files" from Visual Studio 2005.

    BTW, I have the SP1 installed.

    I am not sure I understand the information from the link.

    Are we supposed to use the mt.exe from Vista SDK??

    Friday, February 23, 2007 1:29 AM
  • Hi Bruce / Rex,

     Using mt.exe is preffered. Becuase it gives you more control over manifest. There is a problem of duplicate namespaces, when you create manidest from within Visual Studio 2005. You can read more about manifest issues on Chris's blog.

    the link is here:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/cjacks/search.aspx?q=manifest&p=1 

     

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Sandeep Joshi

     

    Friday, February 23, 2007 3:45 AM
  • The mt.exe mosted voted most likel to not have this problem is

    "..version 5.2.3790.2075 dated 10/19/2006..."

    I haven't personally verified this.

    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:39 PM
  • I am still getting the same error with version 6.0.4071.0

    I verified MT.exe is version 6.0.4071.0 in the following directories:

    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Bin
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\Tools\Bin

    Tuesday, March 06, 2007 8:41 AM
  • I think I was getting some errors like that at one point because of some funny whitespace characters. Also I didn't have much luck applying a manifest on an XP machine. But I think my XP problems were a result of not having the correct MT.exe On my Vista install I made sure I had the right MT.exe
    Tuesday, March 06, 2007 4:07 PM
  • I have found that the only mt.exe that works properly is version 5.2.3790.2075 dated 10/19/2006. There are actually other copies of mt.exe with the same version number but with a different date. The mt.exe that works came with the Vista SDK. You will find many copies of mt.exe. I replaced all with the 10/19/2006 version and now I get no manifest embedding error messages and end up with an EXE that builds on XP and works on XP and Vista.
    Wednesday, March 07, 2007 4:26 PM
  • Thanks donelder! that fixes the problem.

    Thursday, March 08, 2007 2:15 AM