none
Vista Windows DVD Maker - Dies Indeo Codec is blamed "how to uninstall"

Question

• Indications are that this worked! Vista Windows DVD Maker behaved properly except for one issue.

As in the begging, my Vista would not play an AVI file. My XP would play the same AVI file.

Shameless plug: my AVI is on WWW.BattleTech.com 

So, I had another post and got advice to run a codec installation that did in fact allow me to view and edit AVI files.

But, when I tried to use my Windows DVD Maker - the message about the Intel Indeo Codec came on during the crash of that application.

When I try to copy my son's old Lego Studio with the Steven Speilberg Movie Maker videos - they were in AVI format (darn you Steven for being so cheap and low resolution with kid's stop motion Lego Studios!). A message came on that informed me that DVD Maker can not accept the AVI files - and they were removed from the DVD buring list.

At the time of this writing, my 1 hr 20 minute movies are 56% through the DVD creation using a Intel E2140 Dual Core Acer Aspire with 2 GB RAM - no grapnics card - just the graphics card built on the motherboard.

While trying to find and install seveal Intel Codec for Movie maker - I lost track.

Now the Vista Windows DVD Maker crashes and (doesn't burn a CD) blames the Intel Indeo codec.

How does one find or locate and remove a codec?

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH   Application Name: DVDMaker.exe   Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Application Timestamp: 4549b5b0   Fault Module Name: iac25_32.ax    Fault Module Version: 2.0.5.53

Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bcd1   Exception Code: c0000005   Exception Offset: 00003548

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3   Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 8d13   Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Additional Information 3: 8d13   Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

WARNING Will Robinson WARNING - The Registry is not a place for beginners to play!

Consult your local geek or tech - buy them beer (afterwards of course) The Registry edits can really hose up your computer!

Found this on the Web: Trying it now

go into REGEDIT  search for the INDEO keyword, and delete every entry that refers to  INDEO AUDIO.

Suggest using lower case indeo - remove both left column and right column entries.

I searched for "indeo", deleted them all and used the F3 key to find next. Did not delete anything with out Indeo.
    This take some times, becouse you will need to use the F3 key so many times... but... it's working for me now...

I was with my new laptop for 6 months with this problem... and until now I didnt used yet the Windows Vista Recording softwares, but now everything seems to work so fine...

if anyone has another way to do that  please let me know...

Monday, November 19, 2007 11:47 PM

All replies

• So for those of us that are not so advanced at computers.....

I have kid videos that are .avi files that were done on a logitech computer on XP. Now that I have Vista I can't play the videos because of the Indeo issue.  How can I convert these files from .avi to some other format so I can save these videos?

Monday, December 24, 2007 2:35 AM
  • You can't convert the files without first installing the Indeo codec which you can't do on Vista without buying it.  Ligos saw an oportunity to make money by essentially black mailing into purchasing the codec that was once free.  They pressured Microsoft into removing it from XP in SP1 but the outcry was so severe that Microsoft put it back in (in crippled form) in SP2.

There is a free trial available here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-Codecs/Ligos-Indeo-Codec.shtml

I haven't tested it on Vista.

There is also a Vista Codec Pack that supposedly includes it.  Generally I steer people away from Codec packs as they can install buggy components.  If you want to try it out do so at your own risk.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Vista_Codec_Package.htm

Monday, December 24, 2007 4:57 PM
  • Uninstalling windows movie maker and the companion DVD maker in VISTA is very easy.

You will not find it in control panel, and for that matter anywhere else.

You can uninstall both following this easy procedure.

Go to start, click on all programs, right click on windows movie maker, and choose delete. Goodbye movie maker.

Repeat the same in DVD maker and goodbye DVD maker. Just simply as that. (Normally this procedure will delete

only the icon), but in this two cases will uninstall the program.

Now, go to your software provider and buy a decent program like Vegas8 pro (certified for vista) and have fun

making beautiful movies. If the price is to steep for you, buy Nero 8.

Emilio

elotroyo@sbcglobal.net

Monday, April 21, 2008 3:32 AM