none
I can't type in the IE address bar

Question

• I can't type in the address bar of IE 6 anymore. I can access any site by using my favorites. Is there anybody can help me with this?
    Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Tulio,

Is this a problem that came up after installing desktop search?  If so, could you please provide some additional information?

What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

Did you install any other software just before this happened?

What does the address bar look like?  Does it look normal or is it "disabled" (grayed out and locked).

Thanks for the additional information.

Paul Nystrom - MSFT

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:36 PM
  • Paul,

I did not installed desktop search.

IE is 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2.gdr.050301-1519

I'm not sure. The last install was an update from MS last thursday. After that i think i did not tried to type in anything. As additiional information, i notice the problem this afternoon, after "clicking" in a link in a Lotus Sametime message text, provided me by a workmate pointing to a page in our intranet.

It looks normal, i just cannot type in. I can paste on it (type in the url in notepad and copying it) but not type in directly.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:50 PM
  • Hi Tulio,

This forum is for questions specifically related to Windows Desktop Search, however, you may be able to find more information in regard to your issue here: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/showpost.aspx?postid=374701&siteid=1

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 12:02 AM
  • I have read all of that before and tried to remove the updates, even not being exactly what i'm facing. Anyway, it did not work. I still cannot type in the address bar.

Any other suggestion? I tried to open a forum for IE but could not find where......

Tried to repair IE, no luck. Should I install IE7 beta?

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 1:14 AM
  • Tulio,

I'm sorry to hear that the suggestion above did not fix your problem.  Unfortunately, I think you may need to find an IE expert to help with the problem.  You can find a great IE newsgroup here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser&lang=en&cr=US

Paul Nystrom - MSFT

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 7:38 PM
  • Careful, I have IE 7 beta with the same problem! I cannot type "at " anywhere, only in the google search bar.
    Friday, June 09, 2006 11:01 PM
  • I have the same problem with a machine I just bought, shipped with a fully updated Windows XP SP 2 with all security features on. I ran Windows Defender and it found nothing. I installed IE 7 Release candidate in a desperate attempt to fix this, but it continues. Mozila browser works. Any suggestion but reinstall all the system will be VERY appreciatted.
    Thursday, September 14, 2006 5:49 PM
  • I spoke with my cablecompany.  They had me unplug the keyboard and then plug it back in and it worked.  I was able to type in the address bar.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:02 PM
  • Take at look at your browser add ons. My colleague had this problem and I disabled all Yahoo and Google add-ons and it resolved it.

In IE, go to tools, manage add ons and disable an add on, close IE and start a new web page. keep repeating until you have found the one that was blockiing the address.

Hope this helps

Pink
    Monday, October 20, 2008 9:50 AM