none
IMAPIv2.0 for Windows 2003 or Windows XP

Question

• Exist a version the IMAPIv2.0 for Windows 2003 SP2 and a version for Windows XP....

According with the text:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932716

If I download the Windows 2003 version and building my aplication in a Windows 2003 machine and install my program in a Windows XP machine is it not will work ?

Is not exist a version of the IMAPIv2.0 for two Windows versions ?

Thank you,

Rogério

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 2:29 PM

Answers

• It will work as long as you specify as OS target for the compilation Windows XP. In a DDK build environment, this could be done with:

set _NT_TARGET_VERSION=$(_NT_TARGET_VERSION_WINXP)

Because of sustained engineering system, the binaries for different Windows versions are currently different. The COM interfaces however are identical so that your binary can be the same.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 4:49 PM

All replies

• It will work as long as you specify as OS target for the compilation Windows XP. In a DDK build environment, this could be done with:

Because of sustained engineering system, the binaries for different Windows versions are currently different. The COM interfaces however are identical so that your binary can be the same.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 4:49 PM
  • Excuse-me but how or where I will put the code:

My project is in C# Visual Studio 2005....

Thank you again,

Rogério 

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 5:20 PM
  • Hi Rogério,

You should be able to specify the os target in the project settings, e.g. as a compilation parameter. Unfortunately I am not using the project UI of Visual Studio and cannot give you the specifics. However this is not an optical specific development question and you should be able to get help on project settings in the closeby Visual Studio MSDN forum.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 7:19 PM
  • But "project settings" will be not for the building the imapi2.dll or imapi2fs.dll and not for my project in c# who using the dlls....Is not ?

I noticed if I install the package IMAPI for Windows XP my project work without changes...My project was compiled in a Windows 2003 server machine....

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B5F726F1-4ACE-455D-BAD7-ABC4DD2F147B&displaylang=en

Thank you again,

Rogério

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 8:23 PM
  • There seems to be some confusion here. imapi dlls are built and provided by Microsoft. Vista comes with imapi2 inbox, and download packages are available for both XP and Server 2003. A third party developper (i.e. you) do not have to compile imapi dlls (and actually cannot compile them as one need the source code to do that!). A third party developper may use imapi in his application. For that he will need the appropriate imapi headers in his development system (available from the platform SDK). Also, if he wants to build an application that works also on Windows XP, he has to be careful that the target os for his build environment matches his intend. It could be that the default target os for the development environment you are using is already windows XP, then this is a no-op.

And yes, you do need to install the imapi package on your test systems if using XP and Server 2003, otherwise the dependency you have taken on the component which is not available inbox will fail.

OS of your development system does not matter, as long as it is compatible with your build environment and the platform SDK.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 7:27 PM