none
Outlook 2007 how to search mail in all personal folders

Question

• I have seen several threads with search problem in outlook 2007, but still do not know how to fix this simple thing:

I am in Outlook 2007 Personal Folders. I have a folder called others, it has lots of e-mails. I simply want to search mails in which Subject contains Dreamweaver. I click on other folder, go to tools->Instant Search->Advanced Find…

Search does not how me any results even though there are several mails with Subject Dreamweaver.

I looked into indexing options on Control Panel and it simply show me Microsoft Office Outlook (an\my username), so one would think it is indexing in all outlook folders including personal folders, but it seems indexing is not working in outlook 2007.

Is there a way to bypass indexing and search the same way as in outlook 2000

Sunday, March 01, 2009 2:21 PM

All replies

• I am having the exact same problem. I have many folders inside of my personal folders top level folder. My search results seem to contain only items in subfolders with in Mailbox (stuff on the exchange server). The personal folders stuff is in a local archive file and I can verify existing emails from sender X, but searching for sender X yeilds no results within a subfolder of personal folders. The same emails, if moved to a subfolder of Mailbox, are included in the search results. If I know which folder to search in in advance, I can go to that subfolder within personal folders and search, and I get the expected search results. Why can't I get those results when searchine all personal folders without knowing which folder the results will be in? This seems like extremely basic search capability to expect from such a widely used and expensive software product. Can someone please fix this bug (if it is one) or tell me the secret of how to search across all personal folders?
    • Proposed as answer by theliquidray Wednesday, July 17, 2013 4:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by theliquidray Wednesday, July 17, 2013 4:54 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 8:01 PM
  • The directions for searching multiple personal folders can be found here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/manage-your-mailbox-v-retrieve-back-up-or-share-messages-RZ010238809.aspx?section=11

You have to use the  "All Mail option" to get the results you want...

Too bad the same cant be done from "Related items" search option

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 4:55 PM