none
Forum for Vista Windows Search APIs?

Question

• Hi

Which forum or newsgroup is best for asking development questions about the 'Windows Search' APIs in Windows Vista?

So far looking at the posts in this forum they seem to be specifically about WDS on XP/2k3.

One possible forum I came across was the "Search, Organize and Visualize in Windows Vista", but I don't see much activity in the forum and not really many developer related queries and hardly any responses from MS developers.

Thanks

Thursday, June 08, 2006 5:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Sean,

You've come to the right place.  Please feel free to ask your Windows Vista Search questions here.  I'll do the best I can to help find the answers for you.  I only ask that you post your questions in a separate thread for "searchability" reasons.

As for why most of the questions in this forum are about WDS 2.6.5 and earlier, it's due to the fact that 2.6.5 and before are "production" releases and are in use far more widely than is Vista Search (at the moment).

Paul Nystrom - MSFT

Thursday, June 08, 2006 7:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Sean,

You've come to the right place.  Please feel free to ask your Windows Vista Search questions here.  I'll do the best I can to help find the answers for you.  I only ask that you post your questions in a separate thread for "searchability" reasons.

As for why most of the questions in this forum are about WDS 2.6.5 and earlier, it's due to the fact that 2.6.5 and before are "production" releases and are in use far more widely than is Vista Search (at the moment).

Paul Nystrom - MSFT

Thursday, June 08, 2006 7:07 PM
  • Hi!

I have instald Windows Vista but ... i like mor my old Sistem Windows XP
    The only thing i like about Vista is that the Search angen is superior that from the XP

Can Somewhan tel me the sorce code from the Search angen in Vista .. so that i can implement it in XP ?
    Monday, June 04, 2007 10:06 PM
  • Windows Desktop Search (WDS) seems to take term of Windows Search into consideration. From product references which have been published at MSDN, Microsoft Search technology takes into effect in following (marketing) segments. After release of WDS3.x, MSDN library started common technology term of Windows Search (WS) independently from products development areas. Now I understand that MSDN forum uses MAY ask about WS over here

As a matter of fact, Windows Search capability is enabled by Windows Vista and Windows Desktop Search 3.01 for Windows XP. Windows Search looks independent technology term from above two areas. In order to collect MSDN issues effectively for unveiling releases of Microsoft Search technologies, term of Windows Search must be described to become clrear for MSDN forum users

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 5:28 AM
  • You can download Windows Desktop Search for Windows XP. This is built using the same search engine that Vista uses.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917013

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 6:27 AM