none
Windows 7 SDK cl.exe Compilers

Question

• What is the date and version of the cl.exe compilers that would be installed by Windows 7 SDK on a 32 bit XP Pro Sp3 machine?  Where is the default installation location for these compilers?

I have installed the 32 bit Windows 7 SDK RTM but can not find any cl.exe compilers other than those previously installed with a Windows Server 2008 SDK installation dated July 30, 2008.

During the installation, my second, from an iso CD I made sure that the Components to Install Compilers check box was checked during the installation. The first time I ran the install the Compilers check box was checked but greyed out. On the second reinstall the check box was checked and not greyed out.

Robert Wishlaw

Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:53 AM

Answers

• I have checked the contents of the Windows 7 SDK setup .cab file containing the compilers and the date of the compilers is the same as the compilers for the Windows Server 2008 SDK. I guess that because there is no change there is no reason to install hence the greyed out check box.
    • Marked as answer by Robert Wishlaw Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:14 AM
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:14 AM

All replies

• I have checked the contents of the Windows 7 SDK setup .cab file containing the compilers and the date of the compilers is the same as the compilers for the Windows Server 2008 SDK. I guess that because there is no change there is no reason to install hence the greyed out check box.
    • Marked as answer by Robert Wishlaw Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:14 AM
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:14 AM
  • Hi -

I am a PM on the Windows SDK team.  I just wanted to confirm your answer - we did not ship a new set of compilers in the Windows 7 SDK because the next set of compilers is still in development as part of the Visual Studio 2010 release.  After the new version of Visual Studio ships I would expect the next release of the Windows SDK to include a new set of compilers.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Mike Robinson
    Program Manager
    Windows SDK Team
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:47 PM