none
DONE - Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Question

• I installed Daemon Tools on Windows Vista Business.  The result was that my CDrom went dead.  System Restore hasn't helped.

Then CDrom properties reveals this:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

If you update driver, you get " Windows has determined that the driver software is up to date"

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 2:26 PM

Answers

• Have you tried the following solutions?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060

Please give us feedback on how these worked for you.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 3:14 PM
  • The "lower" and "upper" filters can be problematic. If the registry isn't cleaned up after a driver is removed, or done incorrectly, or etc...it can create a failed device problem. Very annoying. Not MS fault and is usually a incorrectly removed driver or a driver installed as a filter that has problems.  In general, if your device (like CD or DVD) suddenly stops working, examine what software you have removed or added recently and it's probably the culprit. Registry editing is often necessary to get the system back to normal, or sometimes a restore can be a viable solutions if it's from the right restore point, like before the problem driver was installed.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 9:13 PM

All replies

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 3:14 PM
  • I have the same exact  problem and i've tried all steps you mentioned, still the problem remains.

I have 64-bit Vista with Tsstcorp CD/DVDW TS-L532M ATA. Any ideas?
    Tuesday, December 26, 2006 12:43 AM
  • Hey Sekamu,

The post above yours should work.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 

The key for me was to "delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values that can cause CD access problems" in Vista X86.  If I recall it was the upperfilter that caused the issue.

Follow the steps and then reboot before doing anything else.  Remember the registry is created from an algorithm on boot.

• Proposed as answer by Peter9446113 Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:41 AM
    Wednesday, December 27, 2006 11:50 AM
  • I've tried that, no joy, i still can't use my DVD-Drive.
    Tuesday, January 02, 2007 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

Exactly the same problem here too.  I un-installed a program, freeview DVB- USB TV software and now CD drives in general do not work.   This is true for virtual CD drives as well. 

I'm running vista RTM.

I've tried everything, from uninstalling devices, re-installing software, deleting the mentioned registry keys (in which case windows no longer boots). 

What is odd is that it effects virtual CD drives as well!

Cheers

A

Saturday, January 06, 2007 7:49 AM
  •  Oliver Lundt - MSFT wrote:

Have you tried the following solutions?

i did this and it rectified the problem straight away.

Monday, February 12, 2007 11:04 PM
  • DIDO!

This works.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 3:13 PM
  • I've tried them all, it says "can not delete: Error while deleteing". Now what?

btw, Vista 32-bit Home Premium and I have installed NO 3rd party CD software. Only software on my machine so far(since it is 3 days old) is 2 video games, Avast AV, and the drivers for my keyboard.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 1:57 PM
  • ok i have the same prob but unlike everyone else that posted i have win xp....any idea how to fix with win xp
    Thursday, March 01, 2007 12:13 AM
  • I had same problem on xp. I followed the steps in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060 and that fixed it.

I didn't have an UpperFilters registry entry, but I did have a LowerFilters entry. After I deleted that key and rebooted, all was well.

The problem happened right after I inserted a Sony movie in my DVD drive. It popup up some kind of autorun splash page. I escaped out of that and the next time I rebooted, no more DVD drive. But I'm sure that was just a coincidence.

Cheers and good luck.

Saturday, March 03, 2007 4:03 AM
  • What an easy way to fix this frustrating problem! Thanks so much!
    Monday, March 12, 2007 7:25 PM
  • The "lower" and "upper" filters can be problematic. If the registry isn't cleaned up after a driver is removed, or done incorrectly, or etc...it can create a failed device problem. Very annoying. Not MS fault and is usually a incorrectly removed driver or a driver installed as a filter that has problems.  In general, if your device (like CD or DVD) suddenly stops working, examine what software you have removed or added recently and it's probably the culprit. Registry editing is often necessary to get the system back to normal, or sometimes a restore can be a viable solutions if it's from the right restore point, like before the problem driver was installed.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 9:13 PM
  • I've tried to connect my Sony Handycam to my laptop and get the error

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

I'm using Windows XP and I've downloaded the drivers from the sony site for this camera and still no luck

Also the other annoying this is that it seems to work in all other computers and no other cameras work in mine

Please any suggestions would be great becuase I have to get my footage on my laptop for editing for my Media Studies A level coursework

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 11:39 PM
  • Hi Bruce

Is there any risk in trying to remove upper/lower filters? If so, what should I do to minimise these risk. I am not too confident trying this, and am worried that my system may not work properly afterwards if something goes wrong.

Any guidance would be highly appreciated. If it helps i have a compaq presario v6000, with Vista Business, the drive details are:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T1ON ATA DEVICE.

Thanks

Thursday, March 22, 2007 3:12 AM

Oliver's MS solutions will work.  I do add one recomendation that some may want to try.

Instead of deleting the entire LowerFilters as the KB says, you can delete the filteers one at a time to find the culprit.  You also do not have to rebote after deleting in in Vista to see if it worked.  Just rescan the Devices at the top level.

Also, in Vista under Device Manager.  Click your drive --> Properties --> Driver --> Driver Details.  You can then see all the filters named there and if it is a respectable company, you can figure out what software it is tagged to.  Then export the key so you have the original filters stored.  Then as I stated above, remove them one at a time and rescan until your drives come back. Once you find it, import the key and remove the bad filter.  --Of course you may have multiple filters that cause this issue so this may have to be done a couple times.

For me I noticed the latest Intervideo "Iviaspi" was my problem on Vista x64Ult

Good luck

-JMVL

Thursday, March 22, 2007 4:37 PM
  • Well, when I went in, there were no upperfilters, so I deleted the lowerfilters as instructed.  I"m currently waiting for windows to load to see if it worked.  I'm currently on my own computer.  It's a client's computer that's having this problem.  I fixed everything else with it, but the cd-rom(s) just won't work.  I'll follow this up if it works.
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 7:06 PM
  • Now, Add Hardware Wizard can't even detect this Phillips PCRW404 CDRW drive in my computer....lemme try changing the drive setup to see if that'll help or fix the problem.
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 7:12 PM
  • After installing and uninstalling Easy CD Creator I started getting this error.

I deleted LowerFilters from the registry, rebooted and still got the error.

I then continued deleting UpperFilters from the registry, and when I reboot the computer keeps rebooting before login screen comes up and I have to revert to "last known good configuration".

I've tried everything I can think of and I'm starting to get pretty frustrated, as I really need to burn some DVD's, so any help would be greatly appriciated.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 6:29 PM
  • Two words - System Restore
    Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:32 PM
  • I also installed and unistalled Easy Media Creator 9 and am getting the error for my CD & DVD drives "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.  The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)."  When you say to do a System Restore, does that mean go back to factory settings for the PC and lose EVERYTHING on the hard drive/C drive?  Or can I restore to a point on the system before I loaded the Easy Media Creator 9?  Also, is it not worth trying to delete the upper & lower registries?  Any help is appreciated.
    Monday, April 09, 2007 10:06 PM
  • I am suffering through the same issues with Error Code 39.  I checked the filters as suggested in device manager but the only filter there is the lower filter and is listed as cdrbsvsd which googles out as a cd rom filter driver.  I deleted the lower filters in the regedit solution but have had no change.  To make things worse, my system restore hasn't allowed me to save a restore point since Mid March despite all my trying.  Two dilemmas.  Suggestions.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 5:31 AM
  • Sorry to butt in guys, but do i get the distinct feeling that this a very common fault and if so, who do we report it to?
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 12:25 PM
  • After deleting the lower filter, I finally uninstalled the drivers for the drives from device manager and let Vista find them again on reboot, and there they were in all there glory, funtioning as normal.  Now I just have to get my system restore working.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 6:01 PM
  • Thanks I have windows vista 32-bit.. I let my sister burn some music cd's 2day and when i went to burn something myself hello i had no burner installed.. took me a while to find this but once i did and removed those registry inputs rebooted and it was back!! thanks so much!! Smile
    Tuesday, May 08, 2007 11:26 AM
  • Okay Bruce, can you explain how to do a system restore without the use of the CD drive?  My restore cd's use the drive which is not being recognized.  Am I missing something here?
    Tuesday, May 08, 2007 5:42 PM
  •  

Hi Merrik. Im having the exact same problems as you are having and i cant find one single site that will help me. I also have windows Vista Home Edition and every time i try to update Driver it gives me the same message. Im at my wits end as i dont know who to ask. I feel its a shame that i might have to resort to taking my computer to a shop to be repaired when ive only had it 2 months!!!
    Tuesday, May 08, 2007 7:22 PM
  • Which OS do you have? System Restore is built into XP and doesn't require a CD for that OS.
    Tuesday, May 08, 2007 10:35 PM
  • A big THANK YOU Oliver Lundt and all who posted the link. It took me 2 hours to find this page but 2 minutes to resovle after reading your solution.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 12:43 AM
  • I have the exact problem but with HP scanner ScanJet 7400c running on Windows xp, after working flawless for few years.

Any advice?

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by thfox Saturday, September 28, 2013 2:35 AM
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 8:11 AM

Both these solutions apply to XP, not Vista (as far as I can tell)... so where are the Vista solutions? My situation is similar, but different than the "official" problems.  The PC is new, was a gift (Dell), very basic.  Came with Vista Home Basic installed, w/DVD-rom.  We purchased a DVD-burner (Samsung), it installed fine, and worked fine after we upgraded the included Nero software to the Vista compatible version.  Made multiple DVDs over the course of the next few weeks.  One night I wanted to play a movie on the PC (pre-recorded), and it would not auto-load, nor maually play.  Checked the drivers on both drives when I realized niether the factory-installed DVD-rom nor the new DVD-burner were not being recognized by the PC.

And so, here I am.  I'm giving option 1 a shot since it at least mentions Vista in its title.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 8:52 PM
  • I started having a problem with my main machine not identifying the D:\ drive after I had tried to tidy up my system by running "RegCure".  Now its lost track of various Windows components (e.g. Media Player & Windows Audio Converter), Hewlett Packard package wants to keep configuring the FAX option, Cyberlink Software no longer recognises projects I produced earlier this year.  What a mistake "RegCure" was !!!!!!!  

I followed the steps in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060 and that has got me access to my D:\ drive again.  Now I'm backing up everyhting I can before I try to remove RegCure and XoftSpyse and then start on finding what else has been corrupted and whether I can reinstall, etc.

Thanks. 

Sunday, June 24, 2007 10:09 PM
  • For me, the problem started after running Vista Update, on Windows Vista Home with a Lite-On DVDRW LH-20A1H.

This solution that Oliver linked http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060

worked for me.  MS should upgrade their knowledge base to reflect that 314060 applies to Vista.

Don

Saturday, June 30, 2007 2:17 AM
  • Uninstalling the device and then deleting UpperFilters and LowerFilters fixed the problem!!  Thanks
    Monday, July 02, 2007 1:07 AM
  • I have a new rig that I was able to successfuly install Vista on.  Now, 1 week later, I find out that the CD-ROM does not show up.  I get:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

I am trying to follow the steps in the solution mentioned in this thread:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b314060

When I find the specified location in the registery editor {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} there is no UpperFilters nor LowerFilters:

This is my first time trying to edit the registry, so any help as to what I'm missing would be appreciated

edit: Success!  I tried the steps in this thread:

Method 2 worked for me - uninstalled the driver and now I can recognize the CD-ROM again.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 8:24 PM
  • I have windows xp home edition and since downloading sp2 none of the usb ports will work - they show under device manager as the yellow sign with an exclamation mark. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall them but it just goes round in circles saying that the software has not passed Windows Logo testing to verfiy its compatibility - it then says A problem occurred during installation and takes you back round to the help centre which again suggests unistall and reinstall and you keep going round in circles.

I have just purchased a belkin usb 2.0 5 port pci card and having installed this I have the same problem and am getting the message Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39). Under resources the resource settings say This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem.

I have spent hours going through microsft websites for a solution - can you help please?

Thanks

Goingmad

Friday, July 06, 2007 7:26 PM
  • I am trying to install an ethernet card into my home computer and I get the message "Windows cannot load the decive driver for this hardware. The driver may be currupted or missing. (code 39)" I have uninstalled and re-installed about 10 times and still come up with the same message. This is a brand new ethernet card that I am installing. Can any one help me? Any suggestions?
    Sunday, July 08, 2007 12:08 AM
  • This solution seems relevant to XP only. Should it also apply to vista?
    Sunday, July 08, 2007 9:39 AM
  •  Bruce N. Baker - MSFT wrote:
    Two words - System Restore

What if system restore fails?

Sunday, July 08, 2007 9:46 AM
  •  

I have the similar problem and am seeking help. My computer runs windows Vista premium. The answers I have come across on this issue pertains to windows xp. Please advise.

Malama.

Sunday, July 08, 2007 12:33 PM
  • I've been having this same problem recently with my Windows Student Edtion Vista. I tried to follow the steps listed here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060 but when I went to delete my upperfilters they were not in the registry file given in the article. The lower filters were in the right place, but I didn't want to delete them before I deleted the upperfilters. The upperfilters were not in the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} section where they were supposed to be. I found upperfilters in {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} . Are these the same filters as the article says should be in the former, or are these separate ones that should not be deleted? Any help would be great. Thanks!!
    Monday, July 09, 2007 12:20 AM
  • deleting lowerlimit (upperlimit didn't exist) worked like a champ.  thank you!
    Monday, July 09, 2007 5:55 PM
  • Same problem for me under Vista Home Premium. Couldn't find an upperfilter but deleted the lowerfilter and it solved the problem.

You would have thought that somewhere between XP and Vista Microsoft could have sorted this?

Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:56 PM
  •  

You are an absolute legend. God knows how much money you just saved me. Thank you so much. You deserve all the good luck in the world, also thanks for making this information available for free.

Honestly, people if your having problems with your CD-Rom drive then just use this. it took me 30 seconds to do, and however long it takes to closedown and restart my computer back up again.

Thank you

Liam Jordan

Saturday, July 21, 2007 10:49 PM
  • Thank you so much for this solution. I tried everything and finally found my answer. This worked. I know have my Driver back and my CD ROM is working again.
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 4:17 AM
  • System restore works before the OS loads the registry far as I can tell. Because my drive works during post and if I put the Vista CD in either drive it will try and install the OS again from the disk. So it is only a proiblem within the OS. Contrary to what the moderator states I believe this is a MS issue since it has happened to me and others on different flavors of Vista. And it may be any software that has caused it. The last software i remember loading before my drives dissapeared was a PC Camera driver. It crashed right in the middle of the install. I will let you know if I get mine fixed without a Sytem Restore.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:25 AM
  • I had the same problem. I'm using Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I think this happend because I was updating my raid drivers, and was having problems. I also installed a CD/DVD program not certified for Vista (won't do that again).  Removing the upper/lower filters fixed it. Thank you!

Monday, July 30, 2007 5:19 PM
  •  

I received the original support doc for XP from the drive manufacturer. I was very dubious since I have Vista Hp and this is a brand new laptop on which the DVD-RW has never worked. Having read some of the posts here, I decided to open regedit.. I found there was only one filter to delete, no idea where it was from, I certainly didn't delete any programmes!

It does need a re-boot in my version of Vista, but after that the drive works fine.

Just one question remains, if this problem existed in Windows2000 why have Microsft still not fixed it in Vista?

Probably a silly question, I know!

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 10:54 PM
  • Ok, I tried deleting the registry... It worked! Notice that I'm using Windows Vista Home Basic Edition. Still... I don't know if various recording programs will not work, because I haven't tried to record any disc, but it is said I can reinstall them and they will work... so is not big deal.

Thanks for helping me =)
    Friday, August 10, 2007 5:24 PM
  •  Merrik wrote:

Hey Sekamu,

The key for me was to "delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values that can cause CD access problems" in Vista X86.  If I recall it was the upperfilter that caused the issue.

Follow the steps and then reboot before doing anything else.  Remember the registry is created from an algorithm on boot.

Hi
    I've got the same problem.
    My DVD Writer has disappeared and I tried deleting the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry value and rebooted... I now get a drive but it's a CD rom drive! but I have a DVD writer so it will not let me write any DVD's!

I didn't actually remove any software for this error to come up.
    I had CD rom in my pc that I didn't want to use anymore so I took it out... I swopped the DVD writer into the upper slot and plugged everything back in... that's when I realised I had no drive.

I can't update the driver - I've tried deleting it... then tried going back to a previous restore point but it comes back as 'no changes have been made on your computer'.

What now - I really need to do a back up and I've recently brought some software (acronis) but my computer is already got wrong!!! typical!

my PC is a refurbished cheap one from PC world and there is no recover/restore CD so I'm rather worried!

any one got a nice simple solution (magic wand would be grate :-))

Thanks.

Friday, August 17, 2007 9:12 PM
  • i tried the solution that seems to have worked for everyone else... deleting upper and lower filters, but there were no lower filters. i deleted the upper filters... nothing. i've tried system restore three times, and each time it tells me that it was unsuccessful b/c an "unspecified error occured during system restore."  AHHHHH!!!! i'm scared to uninstall the driver, b/c what if i can't reinstall it b/c it still doesn't recongize the CD/DVD-ROM drive.  I have an Everex NC1510 computer and a "Optiarc DVD RW AD-7530B ATA Device."

Monday, August 20, 2007 11:37 PM
  • This article is not helpful to me.  The article tells me I must be running Microsoft Windows XP.  I am running Windows Vista Ultimate.  Is there a solution for me.  Please reply.

Thank You
    Saturday, September 01, 2007 3:19 AM
  • OS = Windows Vista Home Premium OEM
    Hardware  = Acer T671
    device = LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S ATA

Symptom :

(a) after 10 days of install, CD/DVD burner software suddenly reports 'no device found'
    (b) Checking in Device Manager shows CD/DVD unit present, but with yellow warning triangles.
    (c) Message shown under device properties is "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"
    (d) Attempts at updating drivers reports current drivers are the best ones and that no driver replacement is necessary.
    (e) Attempts to de-install the device to have Vista install automatically on power up also report 'device install failure'.
    (f) Checking with frankly inept and ill-informed support staff results simply in  them  telling you right from the start  that the situation is hopeless, there is no system restore, the reg files are corrupted and you must now reformat and re-install the image created from day 1. This means you will loose everything (doh!).
    (g) Finding and using Vista's 'System Restore' also fails to work. System Restore points chosen (even right back to the beginning of time) all result in Vista telling you there was 'an unspecified problem' during the restore so your files have not been changed.

Solution :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060 as recommended by Oliver Lundt works!

Note :

(1) The instructions are shown as applicable to Win XP..But it obviously works for Vista too.
    (2) AN EXTRA PRECAUTION : right click on the key you are editing and check the permissions, changing them to Full control and read access for you as you are shown logged on (otherwise the delete operation of the upper and lower filters may not proceed correctly).
    (3) For security, make sure you back up the system register and also the Key you are about to delete the filters from BEFORE you make the changes...

I have signed onto this forum purely to declare that  Oliver is a brilliant stand-up guy. Thanks mate. You have stopped me aging an extra year just 10 days after getting this rather frightening piece of kit.

The only question that remains is..with so many people suffering this problem, why has microsoft removed the only other reference article mentioned  = http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/ from their site, and also...why haven't they admitted this might be a little bit of a problem for Vista users?

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 8:29 PM
  • Very bad problem ...
    This works perfert on Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate.
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:28 PM
  • The above solution worked perfectly for me.  Thank you so much!!!  I was dreading boxing up my computer & sending it in for repairs!!

Thursday, October 04, 2007 5:28 AM
  • I know this is a Vista forum and I had and solved the problem on my vista computer, but the problem has been around since Windows 2000 and maybe before and I have the problem on a 2000 computer at work.  The Microsoft solutions are the same, delete the upper and lower filters and if that doesn't work, get a current edition of Windows Media Player, all of which I have done.  I have two identical machines and after failing time and again, I exported the key from one machine that works and imported it into the registry for the one that doesn't and it still doesn't work, which leads me to believe it is not that key.  Any other solutions out there?  I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the drive.  It is a Lite-On DVD R/W. 
    Thanks.
    Friday, October 05, 2007 2:51 AM
  • In spite of the fact that I could not back up my registry because system restore kept failing with an unspecified error I tried the instrutions at the link supplied repeatedly in this thread and it worked like a charm!
    Thanks to all the answerers in this thread for helping solve this incredibly scary problem!

Friday, October 05, 2007 5:49 AM
  •  

I am having the same problem with my TSSTCorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D.  I tried to uninstall the drivers then re-install.  THEN found this forum.   Anyways when i tried to uninstall the drivers then re-install windows XP SP2 can't find the required drivers.  I can't seem to find them anywhere on the internet, ither.  PLEASE HELP..... thanks in advance!!!!
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:52 PM
  • 4 different forums and no one seems to be able to help me..... all i need is some drivers that windows is having trouble finding.......thanks

Thursday, October 18, 2007 5:31 PM
  • I tried this sollution step-by-step. and It was helpful on vista enterprise using your displayed second URL

( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060 )

. It saved me from big problem. This event will be helpful and rememberance to me lifetime. because it was problem in one of our manager's HP Notebook.

I thanx to you heartly to give me one attempt goog sollution.

Sunday, October 21, 2007 6:31 AM

• I get a similar error message associated with my Microsoft ps/2 keyboard not responding after Vista is up; it does get response during bootup.

Your first link is dead, apparently. Says the info is not there.

Monday, October 22, 2007 12:39 AM

• The second link on deleting the filters in the registry says it applies to XP, and does not mention Vista.

Is that procedure applicable to Vista, and is it a generally harmless thing to do if done correctly?  I was thinking of trying it for my inoperative ps/2 microsoft keyboard that gets not repsonse and gives a 39 code.

Monday, October 22, 2007 1:09 AM

• Just a random thought, but if such error codes are generated, and Vista will regenerate the filters on bootup if they have been deleted, why not save indications of the error code and fix Vista to delete and regenerate the filters upon the next bootup?  It might make the next bootup slower, but if it indeed is harmless and fixes complex problems without great mental anguish by thousands of happy customers, is it not worth incorporating in the next update of Vista?

(not sure how many thousand shares of microsoft stock this idea should be worth to me...)
    Monday, October 22, 2007 1:18 AM
  • I have the same problem - last year you referred someone to a location that either 1. no longer exists (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/) or 2. is for XP - I have Vista Business 32 bit.

The driver is:  HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T10N ATA Device.

Can you help - please?

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 8:43 PM
  • I have the same problem but can't access article 320553.  What does this article suggest to do or is there another solution??

RE:

I am trying to follow the steps in the solution mentioned in this thread:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b314060

When I find the specified location in the registery editor {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} there is no UpperFilters nor LowerFilters:

This is my first time trying to edit the registry, so any help as to what I'm missing would be appreciated

edit: Success!  I tried the steps in this thread:

Method 2 worked for me - uninstalled the driver and now I can recognize the CD-ROM again.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:39 AM
  • Just wanted to say "thank you so very much"!   As a total computer novice I've spent 2 days trying every basic thing I can think of to sort this myself, trying to download drivers and searching the internet for solutions.  I had reached the point of giving up and paying an engineer to deal with it.  

After finding this forum, I've spent five minutes carefully going through the registry to delete the upper and lower filters manually and it's sorted the problem.   We now have access to our 'E': CD/DVD drive again.  You're an absolute star!

Friday, November 30, 2007 1:34 PM
  • Ok so...  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060  worked for me too!

Running Vista Home Premium on an HP Pavillion dv8000 (dv8309us) laptop  following the above kb fixed my problem immediately!

Many Thanks!

Sunday, December 02, 2007 7:06 PM
  • As I said before, I am using Windows 2000 Pro and have exactly the same symptoms.  I have deleted filters and have uninstalled and reinstalled the DVD drive multiple times with the same result.  Recently I plugged in a external DVD drive in my USB port and it installed the same way.  I deleted its filters to no avail.  Next step is to retread the OS which I don't really want to do, so if you have any suggestions, or know any differences that make a difference between W2KPro and Vista and XP for that matter, as the oft quoted Microsoft solution is the same for all three OS's, I would appreciate a tip.
    Thanks.
    Smedlow
    Monday, December 03, 2007 6:26 AM
  • this problem hasn't been fixed yet apparently.

new toshiba satellite U305-S7467 with HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-U10N ATA
    using Vista Home Edition.

as soon as i received it, reformatted, new partition, installed using factory provided CDs.
    updated windows, uninstalled useless programs, installed AVG, then noticed DVD drive had disappeared.
    nice.

followed the solution above, deleted LowerFilters first. didn't fix.
    deleted UpperFilters next. fixed.
    thanks for the fix.
    Thursday, December 06, 2007 2:35 AM
  • To resolve this issue, (can't access/use CD-ROM, DVD, etc), one can always go to device manager, select each non-functional device.

Right click, select "uninstall." (Don't be afraid).

Then, once it has been removed, right click any other device, click "scan for hardware changes" then- voila! Your devices shall appear again.

Functional, too.

Friday, December 07, 2007 3:33 PM
  • Pure genius!  Thanks.  Worked like a charm!

Thursday, December 13, 2007 7:54 AM
  • Friday, December 14, 2007 9:26 PM
  • Exactly what i am getting, iv tryed system restore, wont even let me restore to a  point. My cd-rom tray has stopped working too, even norton tells me theres nothing wrong......Frustrating or what!!

Saturday, December 15, 2007 1:50 AM
  •  

like how does that work when the computer is 3 days old and there are no restore points
    Saturday, December 15, 2007 3:56 PM

• When a computer is 3 days old is just the likely time for this stupid situation to occur, because new drivers are being installed and old drivers may not work with Vista.

If I am reading the instructions right, the solution of scratching the filters and rebooting should work in this three day old situation as well as any other.   

My question is why Microsoft does not incorporate a fix to detect this error code being generated, and self-repair the problem on the next reboot.   Does anybody know the right microsoft point of contact to make this recommendation strongly?

Saturday, December 15, 2007 8:51 PM
  •  Merrik wrote:

I installed Daemon Tools on Windows Vista Business.  The result was that my CDrom went dead.  System Restore hasn't helped.

Then CDrom properties reveals this:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

If you update driver, you get " Windows has determined that the driver software is up to date"

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.. I HAVE VISTA AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING

Saturday, December 15, 2007 9:24 PM
  • I took my laptop to a first rate computer repair shop and he could not figure out what to do. I used your suggested web site and in 15 minutes it was running. Thanks!

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 4:34 AM
  • I was able to correct the problem on my XP using this fix:

http://dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

Did not have to mess w/the registry at all.

Did a quick search for this problem when using the Vista OS but found no quick fix, only the same MS KB 314060

• Proposed as answer by mokanmikey Wednesday, January 01, 2014 7:46 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:39 PM
  • HI.

I have TOSHIBA Satellite A205, with Device Matshita DVD-RAM, and without reason I get this msg error and I cant work with DVD, "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)""

I followed this fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us METHOD 2, and then it WORK well.

Thanks,

Julio

Monday, December 31, 2007 5:30 PM
  • same problem that stacy king had in letter above. only difference was i was on the computer at a site when i had a high risk  security alert and i have not seen the xp system show both d & e drives it is like they are gone when i try to use device manager it fails to correct the problem  help!  my eqpt lists shows a yellow ex point over both drive entries

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 4:41 AM
  •  

DRIVER STILL WONT LOAD
    Monday, January 07, 2008 12:55 AM

• Currently i'm having the code 39 so my dvd-rom is dead. Weird that the diagnostics when i boot up works. the first link that you provied doesn't work plus the second link is an Win XP so could you give me a solution for windows vista. thanks.

Friday, January 18, 2008 9:41 PM
  • Thank you!!!i fixed it!!! i have windows vista and had unistalled a dvd software program and the was getting that error 39 code.....after i deleted the upper and lower registry values it still was not working and i was getting an error 13 code....so i unistalled and rebooted....upon rebooting vista automatically reinstalled the drive and its working perfectly again......Once again i sincerely thank everyone for their advice and assistance....

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:29 PM
  • Is there a way I can get a step by step i9nstuctions on how to do this. I mappreciate it much. Thanks

Monday, January 28, 2008 8:03 PM
  • Sorry. This fix is for Windows XP and doesn't appear to work for Vista.

Thanks

Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:53 PM
  • Yeah! Worked for me!!!

Acer said i had to wipe my computer and start over, but i thort id give this a shot and it sorted it right out.

i have vista and it worked

Thanks to this forum

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:01 PM
  • As stated above, this link will solve the problem:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

However, you many not need to be THAT radical. I looked at driver names for the DVDs in Device Manager and noted them. Then, I remembered that I had installed and uninstalled some DVD authoring software. So, I re-installed it. Lo and behold, there was another new driver file. After uninstalling again, the driver was no longer listed.
    Then I followed the directions and whamo, the lower Filters still had the driver name in it that I just uninstalled. Instead of blowing away the whole registry key, I edited it to remove the dead driver name. Went back to device manager, disabled and enabled each device and voila! My DVDs came back.
    Moral of the story - keep track of what gets installed and uninstalled -that list will usually point you in the right direction.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:07 AM
  • The links are deleted. Not opening.

R.Raguraman

Sunday, March 30, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Thanks alot Oliver - this worked first time for me. Bit nervous of ReEdit at first, but Restored before deleting the filter. I was running Vista Home Premium on a brand new Dell. DVD drive just stopped working with error Code 39 in Device Manager. There were no Upper Filters but deleting the Lower Filters worked a treat. Hope others get as much success from this as I have.

Monday, April 14, 2008 6:09 PM

The second link is uhh dead...nothing there..

I have vista/Acer 5050/Really hate it...as there's not enough ram for it...

however I just started cleaning up my machine by uninstalling DVD maker software I don't use...and this code came up...39....have looked at all the replies and will be tryign the solution of deleting the regedit keys...

however uhh, Never done anything like this and don't want my system to crash.

backing up now, and hopefully this will work, I shall return with a message or edit if I can as to whether it worked or not.

Friday, April 18, 2008 9:21 AM
  •  Liam Jordan wrote:

You are an absolute legend. God knows how much money you just saved me. Thank you so much. You deserve all the good luck in the world, also thanks for making this information available for free.

Honestly, people if your having problems with your CD-Rom drive then just use this. it took me 30 seconds to do, and however long it takes to closedown and restart my computer back up again.

Thank you

Liam Jordan

Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:07 PM
  •  

My laptop was one day old and somehow i deleted the drivers for the dvd drive, getting used to windows vista.

I follwed this link ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us .  METHOD 2,) after trying everything else and it is absolutely genious.Thank you so much.  To confirm it does work with windows vista (i used it on vista premium). 

Make sure you create a restore point before.All information is that link.

Thanks again for the support!

Friday, May 02, 2008 9:47 AM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b314060

This article works for me the computer is
    toshiba satellite U305-S5068 with HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-U10N ATA with Vista business

Thanks all for the help!!!!!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:26 PM
  • Why don't they simply provide a 3 line reg file to import & automatically delete the values?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

That's all there is to it.  Copy those 4 lines, save as whatever.reg and click on it.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 9:32 PM
  • thanks this worked for me!!!
    Thursday, June 05, 2008 9:27 AM
  • Hi Hamelin20, how do you delete the registry.  I have the same problem with you (I believe) with my Toshiba laptop DVD.  Play DVD before and suddenly stop and gave out the same error code.  Thanks.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:22 PM
  • Hi,

There is a separate forum available for Vista Hardware related issues which might be helpful for you.     

Thanks

Saswati

Monday, June 23, 2008 4:14 PM
  • Guys, your are brilliant! Lost my CD-Rom half a year ago, but was too afraid to fix it like this here in Denmark. Now I am back and it worked right away.

System: Win Vista Home Premium
    Error Code: 39
    What to do?: Deleting the lower filters (upper filters didn't exist), then restart - and here we go, cd rom works fine!

Quite a relief! ;-)
    Monday, July 14, 2008 8:02 PM
  •  

So what is the answer....mine is the same error
    Friday, July 25, 2008 3:56 PM
  • this is so helpful!!! i am just an ordinary girl with no experience on any computer stuff, but following this step by step... boom!!! it worked!!!!! thanks a lot!!!

I follwed this link ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us .  METHOD 2,) after trying everything else and it is absolutely genious.Thank you so much.  To confirm it does work with windows vista (i used it on vista premium). 

Make sure you create a restore point before.All information is that link.

Friday, August 01, 2008 5:20 AM
  • This Post was right on the mark including the link!!! Neither my Cd Rom nor my stand alone DVD burner would load or was recognized by windows (Vista) until I followed these directions. Worked right after reboot!!! Thanks alot!!!

Sunday, August 03, 2008 2:02 AM
  •  JamesDean64 wrote:

This Post was right on the mark including the link!!! Neither my Cd Rom nor my stand alone DVD burner would load or was recognized by windows (Vista) until I followed these directions. Worked right after reboot!!! Thanks alot!!!

Go To Start/Run..Type REGEDIT. In REGISTRY EDITOR...expand HKEY LOCAL MACHINE ..Look for SYSTEM..expand CURRENTCONTROLSET...expand CONTROL...then expand CLASS...under CLASS find REGISTRY KEY  {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.  make sure it is not the .BAK file just the lower filter. Delte this key and restart your system and all is well. Smile
    Sunday, August 03, 2008 2:18 AM
  • When the Microsoft solution fails - Like may users I "lost" my CD/DVD drive. I tried all the recognized solutions for this problem including deleting the registry entry filters - but with no luck. Finally I found this posting http://barugon.wordpress.com/2008/08/01/windows-cannot-load-the-device-driver-for-this-hardware-the-driver-may-be-corrupted-or-missing-code-39/  this gives detailed steps for finding other problems within the registry which can cause this failure.

The article also says: " As a side note: if your ‘filter’ shows up as “$sys$crater“, “$sys$aries“, or “$sys$cor“, you probably have a Sony DRM rootkit corruption issue"  I found $sys$crater in my registry and used the Sony utility to remove their infamous DRM software from my computer - this cured the problem. http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/updates.html

Ashley WILLIS

Friday, August 22, 2008 10:50 PM
  •  crazy1m wrote:
    System restore works before the OS loads the registry far as I can tell. Because my drive works during post and if I put the Vista CD in either drive it will try and install the OS again from the disk. So it is only a proiblem within the OS. Contrary to what the moderator states I believe this is a MS issue since it has happened to me and others on different flavors of Vista. And it may be any software that has caused it. The last software i remember loading before my drives dissapeared was a PC Camera driver. It crashed right in the middle of the install. I will let you know if I get mine fixed without a Sytem Restore.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 7:53 PM
  •  

The following message appears when following the first link. I started at the second one.

I have a Dell computer and downloaded drivers from their web page for my computer, but they do not install.

The following are the two DVD drives that are not operating properly.

PBDS DVD+-RW DH-16W1S
    TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H353B

I receive the same message regarding the driver that continues not to load.

'Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.'

Friday, September 26, 2008 7:46 PM
  •  

I am having this same problem with this same error message.  I have the yellow exclamation point by my CD/DVDRam on Device Mgr. I have tried installing, uninstalling etc.  I have Vista.  I can't even use my system restore discs because my notebook won't read cd's or DVD's.  Help!!!!  Thanks
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 3:06 AM
  •  

Hey Techie, is your optical drive a code 39 in the device manager? Explain hou you "have tried installing, uninstalling etc.", do you mean in Programs and Features, or in the Device Manager?

Saturday, September 27, 2008 6:22 PM
  • "Wow. like all those before me, I was sos frustrated. I tried to install and unistall, etc., in Device Manager, in safe and normal modes.  No Luck. I tried the methods listed above with the filters and it is magically back.  I was a little hesitant since it flagged me that it might cause unstability or something in my system, But I couldn't even use a restore disk without that CD drive.  It is now working and I like everyone else, give many thanks.  The computer repairs are definitely NOT in my small budget!  Thanks for responding Pezius and thanks to all before me with the correct answers.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 3:35 AM
  • Just want to say thanks to all that have posted!  I had problems with Nokia Video Manager messing with my registry and I think that is what caused the problem I then had with my CD/DVD drive!  The links provides at the start work and very simple to do.  Many thanks to all!

Simon

Monday, September 29, 2008 1:51 PM
  • I tried the downloadable tool instead of trying to delete the registry values myself. It was TOOOOO easy. I find it pretty LAME that microsoft hasn't bundled the program in any of the updates annoy us once a week to download patches we may never need. Some poor no-name programmer(s) put it together, and it won't get used unless the public helps themselves. Microsoft doesn't understand one big point every other os manufacturer fan has been saying. "Even if nothing is new in the new release of an os, we would buy it because we know it will work. I don't see as many people hating on the other os's like they do microsoft for broken stuff. Mainly because the other os's respect the end user enough to pay attention and fix what is broken in a timely fashion. Hopefully someone will wake up and smell the coffee.     
    Wednesday, October 01, 2008 3:37 AM
  • { "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" }

I had this problem with my both drivers but after I followed the first link you put it there , I followed step by step ,now both of them work grear ,

I really thank you for you great help .

kind regards

Nechirvan
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 7:07 PM
  •  

I can no longer access the CD/DVD drive in my Toshiba laptop and receive an error message in Windows Vista "error code 10" What can I do?

Nothing seems to work.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 3:55 AM
  • Rather than sending you searching for my previous reply in this thread, I'll simply repost it (it's short).

Code Snippet

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

Copy those 4 lines, paste into notepad, save as whatever.reg and click on it.  Confirm.  Reboot.  Problem fixed.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 8:01 AM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060
     the advanced solution work for me. I've tried this in two Vista-32 systems and it worked on both of them  Clean the registry upper and lower and then restart
    Friday, November 07, 2008 6:23 PM
  • Removing upper and lower filters worked for me too on Vista Home Premium.  First time I've ever found a fix like this and it's worked!!  Awesome...

Sunday, November 09, 2008 11:26 AM
  • I am having the same issue with my computer that you had. I cannot play or burn CDs or DVDs. When I look at that control panel for the hardware I get error: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39). I have hardware: TSSTCorp CD/DVDW TS-H552L with Windows XP. I have already tried uninstalling the driver, rolling back the driver, and uninstalling and reinstalling the registries from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060. This did not help. I do not know what to do to get this fixed! Can you tell me what you did to fix this issue?

Sunday, November 09, 2008 8:06 PM
  • I have hardware: TSSTCorp CD/DVDW TS-H552L with Windows XP.
      Your problem is entirely different and should be in a separate thread.  The issue is not related to Windows XP or to Vista, but to Hewlett Packard/Compaq and the Toshiba/Samsung series TSSTCorp devices. There are a number of HP threads on the subject, but none of them are really helpful - most are other users complaining about lack of support, lousy equipment, and possibly programmed failures.

A search on Google (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tsstcorp+cd+dvdw+failure) results in thousands of related messages.  HP used these cheap $20-$25 burners on a large number of their late model HP/Compaq systems.  Neither HP nor Toshiba/Samsung will support the equipment, so don't expect any firmware fixes.  System restores (for those new systems which failed within days of purchase) do not repair the drive problems, either.  Salvaging the drive really isn't worth the aggravation and time, much less the cost of shipping it to HP and having something else shipped back.

Your best bet is to remove the drive and use it as either a doorstop or a paperweight.  Replace it with a decent model (perhaps a NEC or Liteon).

Monday, November 10, 2008 1:20 AM
  • None of these solutions worked for me (winXP, SP2, AMD Opteron). Here's what I had to do:

run->regedit
    Go to the key they talk about:
    1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
    3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
    4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

Delete the upper/lower filters, but also delete any of the things that look like subirectories in the left frame of the registry editor (not sure if those are called keys, or something more clever). I had a "0000", "0001", and a few others, I expect that these are instances of the cdrom drive that windows thinks it is aware of.

I then did a restart, windows loaded the driver but could not find the drive, so i shut it down, physically changed the SATA port it was connected to and when I started up again, it was fixed.

hope this helps someone, i'm always queasy about hacking the registry like this, but in a sick way it makes some sense that if you nuke the computer's memory of the cdrom that it will somewhat cleanly install it when it sees it.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:34 PM
  •  

dear please let me know where i can find this solution

i have the same problem

hopefully please let me know as soon as possible

thankyou

Saturday, November 15, 2008 8:47 AM
  •  JMVL wrote:
     Oliver Lundt - MSFT wrote:

Oliver's MS solutions will work.  I do add one recomendation that some may want to try.

Instead of deleting the entire LowerFilters as the KB says, you can delete the filteers one at a time to find the culprit.  You also do not have to rebote after deleting in in Vista to see if it worked.  Just rescan the Devices at the top level.

Also, in Vista under Device Manager.  Click your drive --> Properties --> Driver --> Driver Details.  You can then see all the filters named there and if it is a respectable company, you can figure out what software it is tagged to.  Then export the key so you have the original filters stored.  Then as I stated above, remove them one at a time and rescan until your drives come back. Once you find it, import the key and remove the bad filter.  --Of course you may have multiple filters that cause this issue so this may have to be done a couple times.

For me I noticed the latest Intervideo "Iviaspi" was my problem on Vista x64Ult

Good luck

-JMVL

dear,

please guide me from wher i cn get oliver solution and how..

Saturday, November 15, 2008 11:00 AM
  • great, thanks alot

this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060 worked with me too.

ther was no upperfilter, but i found the lowerfilter and I deleted it, after restarting I got my cd/dvd back.

thanks again

Monday, November 17, 2008 2:50 PM
  • I tried using the key registry, but I have no upper or lower filters. I've tried reinstalling the drives in device manager and nothing seems to be working. It started with my DVD drive and now my CD/RW drive doesn't work either. Is there anything else I can do?
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:54 PM
  • Does this work for keyboard also?Exact sameting is happening in the Device Manager but with my keyboard.None work,
    usb or ps/2.     THANX
    Friday, November 21, 2008 2:43 PM
  • My windows XP CD/DVD got upset when I set up a WD external portable hard drive. I have been getting this same error. I have been trying to fix this problem with my amature skills for some time now and presto! Your link worked so easily I had to shake my head. Bravo! Thank you thank you thank you a million times. I have my CD/DVD back.

Love ya ta bits!

Muuuuah!

I am doing the happy dance.

Hugs, Tdeb

Saturday, November 29, 2008 4:46 AM
  • The link you provided does not work..... Click the link and..... "There are no documents that match your search for "kb 320553".

Any other ideas?

Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:25 AM
  • After a year or so, the problem has reoccured.  I tried the uninstall and the check for new hardware,
    and the device disappeared, then reappeared after the check; but it still had the same code 39 error.

I doubt that particular solution, until proven otherwise.   It did look easy. 
    Thursday, December 04, 2008 3:22 AM
  • hey man i was havin this error message.. .Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39).

but i use your sugestion to go to this addres http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060 and it did work perfectly after restarting my computer thanks alot man.

compaq presario sr1950nx  

Friday, December 05, 2008 8:54 PM
  • Vista OS
    I proceeded to do the registry edit steps.
    I deleted the upper registry, but there did not appear to be a lower registry there to delete.
    The instructions say that then this content is not able to help you any more.

I did a computer restart, and the DVD/CD drive quit giving the error message, and seemed to be working.
    I put in a DVD, and the DVD would not play.
    I uninstalled RealPlayer, and downloaded and installed the latest version.
    I restarted the computer, put in a different DVD and it did play.
    Then I put in the first DVD  (which had played on a DVD standalone player yesterday) and the computer would not play that DVD.
    I put the DVD in that had worked into the computer, and now that DVD would not play.

So,  I seem to still have a flakey DVD/CD player installation in my computer.  I do not know if it is related to the lower registers or not.   Does anybody have expert insight into what to do to fix this Fubar microsoft problem?

(my stupid vendor tech support would probably only try to wipe the disks clean and start from scratch reloading every damn thing, like last time.  That would set me back about a month....)

help...
    Friday, December 05, 2008 9:34 PM
  • You can't believe how long I was looking for this.  The problem was with the sony root kit.  Once I downloaded the fix from their website, ran it, uninstalled compleatly, the drives (2 cd&dvd) were found and automatically installed.
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:27 AM
  • I've been looking for this for 2 days.  It was the sony root kit.  After I downloaded the fix from their site, ran it, uninstalled compleatly, rebooted, the computer found the drives 2, cd & dvd)and installed them.
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:30 AM
  • Sweet, works!
    Tuesday, February 03, 2009 11:20 PM
  • I started getting this error after installing, using, and uninstalling some shareware.  The CD drive ICONs disappeared from the My Computer window and when I attempted looking at the properties for the drives using the device manager I would get " Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) ".  I tried deleting and reinstalling the device drivers to no avail.

This fix was spot on!  Manually edited the Register as described and after rebooting the CD Drive ICON's were back in the My Computer folder and I was able to access them again.  Many Thanks!
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 9:40 PM
  • This was just what I needed.  Many thanks.
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 9:42 PM
  • Woo! Deleting UpperFilters worked. I could hug you! In fact, I think I shall. *Hug*
    Sunday, February 08, 2009 11:36 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem on VISTA 64 ultimate with sp1 and the latest updates

THIS METHOD WORKED PERFECT

GENIAL !!!

thanks
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Try this. My computer had the exactly same problem than yours (code 39) and this fixed in 2 minutes. I am so happy I can run my cd's and dvd's again.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 3:32 PM
  • If you problem is a code 39 like I had, this should work for you. It worked for my computer. I am so happy that I can run my cd's and my dvd's again. I have an HP Pavilion dv1000 with windows XP so this should work for you too.

Good luck! :)

Sunday, March 15, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Hi
    I just fixed my CD/DVDW wich is exactly the same than yours. My computer uses windows XP and this fixed in 2 minutes

Good luck

Sunday, March 15, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Hi HS7,

I let windows fix the problem to avoid any risks, and it worked out. However I have XP not vista.

gluk
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:54 AM
  • I just did a fresh Vista install and cant get my Sound Card Sound Blaster X-FI to install, installed the new drivers & old ones and removed card rebooted and then reinstalled the card to see if that would help. I keep getting the same issue & the card is not listed in the sound settings.

I get the yellow triangle in the device manager with the error:

Quote:

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.
    What am I doing wrong and how to resolve this? I know it works it was working fine yesterday before I decided to do a reinstall. I also installed the card in to a different PC to make sure it isn't the problem. It worked fine

I know most of you guys have posted this error for DVD drives but it has to be related I would think with the same Error Code.
    • Edited by rcillig Sunday, March 22, 2009 6:53 PM added sound card name.
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 6:50 PM
  • hi i have the same problem and i would like to follow the steps ok this link BUT my quesiton is, will it remove all my files? will it affect my files, photos, music or any other software? do i have to back up my files for this? Please reply me. Thank you very much
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 1:56 PM
  • Hello sweetymaria,

If you use this method CORRECTLY

I will do the necesary changes in the registry so it can see your cd-rom drive.

You  should always do a registry BACKUP before making any changes.

This FIX does make changes in your registry.

To do a registry backup

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Let us know if this works or not sweetymaria :)

george
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Hey everyone,
    I am at my wit's end.  I've tried everything, I hope someone will come to my rescue.
    Problem:
    My LG CD/DVD rom (GH20LS15) suddenly stopped detecting on my computer after 6 months of working fine.  I get a "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" message in Device Manager with a Yellow Exclamation mark. 
    Things I've tried:
    1.  Uninstalling driver, restarting computer (didn't work)
    2.  Tried following the http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/314060 (neither method worked, I didn't have Upper or Lower Filters in my registry).
    3.  System restore (both unsuccessful attempts)
    4.  Restore computer to last know configuration (didn't work)
    5.  Swapping SATA ports, power cables (didn't work)
    6.  Contacting LG, asking them if I should update my firmware (they said no, and also said that it's not their problem; their drives are plug and play)

Notes of interest:
    Running Windows XP Pro SP3

I have no idea where to turn next.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
    Thanks,
    Justin

Friday, June 26, 2009 6:36 AM
  • GREAT NEWS!!!!!

I finally fixed issue thanks to this website:

http://barugon.wordpress.com/2008/08/01/windows-cannot-load-the-device-driver-for-this-hardware-the-driver-may-be-corrupted-or-missing-code-39/

Good luck to anyone else who has the issue!!!
    Justin
    Friday, June 26, 2009 7:31 AM
  • I went to this link and used the Microsoft Mr. Fix It utility which made this extremely easy.  It downloaded the fix.  I just rebooted my PC and my DVD drive was working again.  I worked on this issue for about 2 hours before I found this fix.  Thank you very much for the link.  

Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:18 AM
  • I had the same problem, went to this link and followed the instructions exactly on "Let me fix it myself" and it worked for me.  I was going crazy trying to figure out the solution, thought I had to replace my DVD/CD rom. Thank you very much.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:30 PM
  • Just had this same problem with Windows 7. Did a system restore to just before installing two Windows Critical Updates and a Google Earth Installation Set up which was a few years old. Don't know which disabled the drives as yet. I know I should have downloaded the current Google Earth instead. Can't see the Windows updates had anything to do with it. However, system restore has put things back and the drives are once again recognised. Will check now after each installation.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:00 PM

the first link returns a 'page not found'
    the second link was flagged as 'may not apply to windows 7'
    but i tried the regedit, exporting the key first of course, and found only lower filters. I deleted the lower filters and the dvd now works fine. system restore was unable to fix this. thanks for the help!
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 2:40 PM
  • HI, i clicked the link and followed the vista directions where it says go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} but i get to control and there is no class option only PRINT and video so i cannot get to my upper and lower to delete them. what do i do i need help thank you!!!
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 2:40 AM
  • If you uninstalled a program such as I-tunes or another monoply type program your cd/dvd drive disapears! Try re-installing the program. Your disk drive will magically appear.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 5:12 AM
  • Hi Jeff, Sorry for contacting you here but we don't get user email addresses in the App Store. I saw your one-star review of Congress+ and wanted to let you know there is a fix. Please visit http://www.congressinyourpocket.com/support.cfm and read the first line. If it doesn't work, please email me at mcohen at congressinyourpocket dot com. I want to help. Best, Michael Cohen
    Friday, December 18, 2009 6:19 PM
  • The first link took care of the problem.  I am not sure what else I may have messed up while trying to fix it but it is working now.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:08 PM
  • I did this and it worked and its so easy to do. I have WinXP and I did what it says and it worked. I could not use the 2 links that Oliver put up there but i found this info going from the first link to another to find this info.

Windows Vista
    1. Click Start
      Collapse this image Expand this image
      Start button
      , and then click All Programs .
    2. Click Accessories , and then click Run .
    3. Type regedit , and then click OK .
      Collapse this image Expand this image
      User Access Control permission
      If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow .
    4. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    5. In the right pane, click UpperFilters .

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
    6. On the Edit menu, click Delete .
    7. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes .
    8. In the right pane, click LowerFilters .

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
    9. On the Edit menu, click Delete .
    10. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes .
    11. Exit Registry Editor.
    12. Restart the computer.

Windows XP

1. Click Start , and then click Run .
    2. In the Open box, type regedit , and then click OK .
    3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters .

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
    5. On the Edit menu, click Delete .
    6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes .
    7. In the right pane, click LowerFilters .

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
    8. On the Edit menu, click Delete .
    9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes .
    10. Exit Registry Editor.
    11. Restart the computer.
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:25 PM
  • Oliver

Thank you for providing the support site, #314060. I downloaded the Microsoft Fit It program that your information directed me to. I have been receiving  code 39 for over a month. I use my DVD RW drive primarily to rip music from CD's I purchase to a stand alone 1 T hardrive. I have it directly to my surround system, turn a dial or button on the remote and sounds abound. No need to open and close door or plastic cases. Just leave the CD's on shevlf. Thank you very much for the right information.

Seahorse2165

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:46 AM
  • The above solution by Oliver Lundt w orked great!! Fixed the problem in 3 mins after I've been trying to deal with it for over 4 hours.
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 11:24 PM
  • Installed the Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting System (MATS) as suggested in the above KB article.  Drive letter was not even being displayed.  Problem resolved.  Thank you very much.
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 3:55 AM
  • good
    Good SV
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:43 PM
  • Beautiful! I love you. It worked like magic even after I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. That link solved everything. I have a bluray player with Windows 7

Friday, June 25, 2010 12:51 AM
  • it is a microsoft update problem i restored my pc to new and cd/dvd is ok but once microsoft installs all its updates to my windows 7 pro my cd/dvd stops working and infact any usb cd has same code 39 error. will microsoft ever get it right?
    Saturday, September 04, 2010 1:31 PM
  • Thank you, thank you. I tried everything else and then found your post. I was at the point of buying an external CD reader/writer but this fix worked immediately. Once again...I Thank You!!
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 10:40 AM
  • Hey Sekamu,

The key for me was to "delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values that can cause CD access problems" in Vista X86.  If I recall it was the upperfilter that caused the issue.

What's the problem? Why I cannot open the link here?
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:40 AM
  • I also did this and it worked right away..thanks for the info!!1
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 6:13 AM
  • I had the same problem when I installed windows 7 on a new disk. (Dell Inspiron Laptop)The two Drives namely Internal and the external Blu Ray drive had an yellow mark on the device manager. After I tried everything I used this Microsoft Fix it solution and it immediately identified the two drives and the prgram when run fixed the problem straight away in two mts. It was excellent fix. Thanks.
    Friday, December 24, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Can anyone help.. I have an error code 39 after installing some disk burner software I think.. I was able to use the links above and have my CD/ DVD back but all of my USBs are still out and the Microsoft fix it site won't help.  It scans for fixes and updates but they fail.  IN addition my System Restore seems to be broken also.. I have some restore points but when I try to run the restore it comes back with an error saying it could not load the restore..

Any suggestion?

USB are as follows:

Generic USB CF Reader USB Device

Generic USB MS reader USB Device

Generic USB SD reader USB Device

Generic USB SM Reader USB Device

and an external hard drive which is attached via a USB

STEECH SImple Drive USB Device...

HELP!! 
    Thanks all!

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:35 PM
  • Can anyone help.. I have an error code 39 after installing some disk burner software I think.. I was able to use the links above and have my CD/ DVD back but all of my USBs are still out and the Microsoft fix it site won't help.  It scans for fixes and updates but they fail.  IN addition my System Restore seems to be broken also.. I have some restore points but when I try to run the restore it comes back with an error saying it could not load the restore..

Any suggestion?

USB are as follows:

Generic USB CF Reader USB Device

Generic USB MS reader USB Device

Generic USB SD reader USB Device

Generic USB SM Reader USB Device

and an external hard drive which is attached via a USB

STEECH SImple Drive USB Device...

HELP!! 
    Thanks all!

Hi dglitle1,

please let the device attached while you run the Microsoft fix it then manually update the device from "Device Manager" after finish, right click the error device then click then click "Update Driver Software". this way work for my USB mass storage device problem.

Cheers!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:22 AM
  • I tried to install a wireless network card on my computer, and had the same problem.

I ran the "Fix it" from this link. At first the problem wasn't resolved, but I was prompted to click on another fix. After restarting my computer my DVD drive is now working fine.

This was after 7 days without the drive and 2 trips to my pc supplier, who was no help at all.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:44 PM
  • - Compaq SR2010NX
    - Windows XP
    - CD/DVD Lite-On SOHC-4086K
    - repeated code 39:

Recently bought one of those Sony CDs with the nasty copy protection on it, not knowing it was garbage, tried to play the CD. Wanted to auto install some junk, I finally stopped it and pulled the CD because it was taking a long time to do anything and I didn't care about anything else on the CD.

A few days later I came in to find it gave me a blue screen of death and wanted to restart and do updates. Fine, I restarted, updated the latest round of updates from Microsoft.

Well, now no CD drive I discover. When it stopped I'm not sure, I didn't use it between trying the Sony CD and yesterday.

I tried the registry edit for the upper and lower filters; only lower filters showed up and it was no help. When I check via device manager for properties it shows lowerfilter $sys$crater. Deleted the entry, tried an uninstall/reinstall, no good.

Now there are several solutions online for the Sony issue - tried all and none quite matched, I can't follow up because a file called aries.sys that I am supposed to delete, is not present. The Sony link I tried and was no good, plus it doesn't really take the program off.

So I go in circles uninstalling and reinstalling and it continues to give me a code 39. There is no driver to download for this drive, from what I can gather it's not supposed to need it's own - or what is already in Windows is good enough. I'm debating on a system restore, if I can go back like 30 days to before I tried this CD, but if actual files got eaten in that crash I'm still out of luck. Trying to find out how to download just that seems to be an excercise in futility.

And I started the Microsoft self-fix thing but the short download made me download a larger program and running that it needed to download still more junk I don't really need just to run, so I quit out of it. I suppose I could try that again, too. But it seems to me I just need to get rid of that lower filter $sys$crater - why something apparently simple is taking me hours and hours is beyond me. I'll try a reboot in a while, downloading an antivirus program now that's taking forever (another story).

I'll recheck these fixes and see if I need to go into admin mode, also. But I hate to go too far into a system restore, the last time I did I lost my multiple email formatting and all the related data was lost - I can go around that now by using a thumb drive to transfer the data to my old computer, but what a pain in the behind that will be.

• Edited by pontiac59 Saturday, January 22, 2011 3:42 AM format issues
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 3:35 AM

The second link fixed my driver problem.  Thank you.  I can't believe how easy it was.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 3:17 AM

Wow! This really works :) I had the same problem and my PC is with Win 7. I signed in only to THANK YOU :) I guess the problem occures after software installations wich immitates CD/DVD rom devices: Deamon Tools, PowerISO ect... The link fixed the corrupted driver for less than 30 sec :) I hope other users will find solutions too. THANKS again :)
    Monday, February 21, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Thanks Oliver!  The fix it utility in second link just solved the problem quickly after the standard diagnostic procedures failed. Now I can use this old machine until my new one comes back from shop. Cheers, Paul
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:19 PM
  • I am unable to run the FixIt program.  I get an error that states "Fit It troubleshooting cannot continue because an error occured.  This troubleshooter does not apply to this computer."

I'm running a Toshiba laptop, 64bit, with Vista.  I'm having the same issue as many in this thread - CD / DVD isn't showing up as a Drive.  There's a Code 39 error message.

Monday, March 07, 2011 1:27 AM
  • Oliver Lundt - MSFT wrote:

*************************************************************************************************************

**************************************************************************************************************

This worked for me as well!!!!!

:)

Saturday, March 26, 2011 11:44 PM
  • this worked for me. i am playing all discs again
    Saturday, April 02, 2011 11:02 AM
  • I have Windows 7 with 2 dvd/cd-roms that were working perfect, then I loaded some software. The dvd/cd roms opened but wouldn't start. Checked the device manager and both dvd/cd-rom devices had the yellow mark of death. Followed the link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060 and it led me to this link: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us.

This fixed both my devices quick. Just had to reboot.

Thanks man

Ron

Friday, April 08, 2011 2:12 PM
  • I tried that and it did not work for me :(  I am running Windows XP adn have not had working CD/DVD drives for over a year.  I also get the following message frequently: "exception processing message c0000013 parameters 75b6bf7c 4 75b6bf7c 75b6b7c"  and someone mentioned that I may need to add some RAM to my system.  Does anyone know if there is a relationship between a code 39 error and this other exception processing error?
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:07 PM
  • I ran the fix it (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060) and all that did was uninstall and re-install my drives, which did not work.  I have read several answers that refer to deleting registry filters... how do you do that? 
    • Edited by tlforsyth Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:23 PM typo
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:23 PM
  • thank you this worked , fixed everything

Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:34 AM
  • ok so iread that i should uninstall and then install these driver again so now i un installed them... will they still come back by removing these filter things???????????????????????????
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 1:13 PM
  • ok so iread that i should uninstall and then install these driver again so now i un installed them... will they still come back by removing these filter things???????????????????????????
    ha
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 1:14 PM
  • First link is now broken. Second leads to an automatic fix - which exits on an error.

And then when I log in to post this, I have to waive through two expired security certificates!

hydro-modeller
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:26 AM
  • The KB article says it can't help unless you have both upper & lower filters to delete. This wasn't true in my case - I just had an upper filter, which I deleted - and my problem is fixed.

This was with XP SP3

hydro-modeller
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:43 AM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060

This worked perfectly for me.
    I am on Vista SP2 and the problematic CD/DVD drive was the MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ230AS.

Monday, October 17, 2011 9:56 AM

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:08 PM
  • It Works,

I had the message Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

I clicked on the second link above, and used the Fix it for Me, Microsoft Fix It application. It says it only works for Windows XP and Vista but I have Windows 7 64 bit OS and it worked with no problems. It was easy and free, (online tech support wanted $80 minimum to solve the problem) 

Thank You

Friday, February 24, 2012 7:08 PM
  • Hi JMVL, Great tip! I have problems with DVD, microsoft support via link does not work for me, I tried it more than once. (Vista in Portuguese with hl-dt-st dvdram gsa-u10n ata device). In details screen you say ( where I´ve already seen for a thousand times before reading your comment ) shows a driver from GEAR Software Inc. I removed all about GEAR in Registry, including the filter. Is everything working now. Thanks a lot!!
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 2:42 PM
  • top link is no longer valid. 2nd link sent me to the troubleshooter, and let's just say that the computer didn't fix itself. you'd think that if the computer could fix itself--IT WOULD. microsoft fail for adding *the microsoft extra step.
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:45 PM
  • Did not work. Windows 7.
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:53 PM
  • Windows 7?
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:54 PM