none
driver install error : the specified location does not contain information about your hardware

Question

• I have made changes to the src/serial example to support my custom driver I am developing.  I change the .inx file to generate my .inf file.  I used ChkInf and my generated .inf does not have any error.  However, when I go to the device driver and try to select the driver for my hardware, I get a pop-up message indicating that "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware".  Can someone explain to me the details for the following snippet I got from example serial.inx file?  This might be the reason why my driver is not working...    My implementation replaces the *PNP0500 with the usb vid/pid value i got from the device manager->properties page (ie. VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy). Thanks!

; For Win2K
    [MSFT]
    ; DisplayName           Section           DeviceId
    ; -----------           -------           --------
    %PNP0500.DevDesc%=       Serial_Inst,      *PNP0500, *PNP0501 ; Communications Port
    %PNP0501.DevDesc%=       Serial_Inst,      *PNP0501, *PNP0500 ; Communications Port

; For XP and later
    [MSFT.NT$ARCH$]
    ; DisplayName           Section           DeviceId
    ; -----------           -------           --------
    %PNP0500.DevDesc%=       Serial_Inst,      *PNP0500, *PNP0501 ; Communications Port
    %PNP0501.DevDesc%=       Serial_Inst,      *PNP0501, *PNP0500 ; Communications Port

• Edited by pham_tv Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:13 PM typo
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:01 PM

Answers

• the hardware ID needs to be USB\VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy, not just VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by pham_tv Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:48 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:29 PM

All replies

• I want to add another point.  After I generated my .inf, I place the .inf and the .sys file into the same directory along with the corresponding coinstaller file.  When is the coinstaller executed?
    • Edited by pham_tv Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:20 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:19 PM
  • the hardware ID needs to be USB\VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy, not just VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by pham_tv Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:48 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:29 PM
  • I just tried that but I get the same error...  Is there a log file I can look at to see exactly why it is griping during installation?
    • Edited by pham_tv Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:41 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:34 PM
  • which OS are you trying to install on? there is %windir%\setupapi.log and %windir%\inf\setup*.log

Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:11 PM