none
MSMQ: Unable to receive message on remote private queue. (Access denied)

Question

• Folks

I have encounted a problem to read message from remote private queue. Here is what I did and what I got.

1. I created a private queue on 2008R2 which is running at Workgroup
    2. Give the queue full access privilege as "Anonymous Logon". (And also give all role full accessible)
    3. Write code to write and read message on that queue with using Direct=TCP(OS):XXXXX\Private$\QueueName
    4. Run above code on Vista32 machine on same Workgroup.
    5. When write (Send) a message from remote machine, it worked fine. But I got "Access denied" exception at receiving.
    6. I set "Network Service" and "Network" privilege full accessible on the queue, but it didn't work.

Not all of our customers have domain environment, so it is very important for us to use private queue under workgoup environment.
    If someone knows how to solve this issue, please PLEASE let me know it.

Shigeru Watanabe
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Friend,

The remote private queue is working fine local development environment. but not working Production box. if i wrong please correct me. If i am correct what server you are using in Production box

Friday, April 29, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Sundar.Mannai

I still believe that private queue can be available at working production. Public is more suitable for well maintain domain environment. We can use more fancy features than private queue. But expected system scale is not so big and if we can count on that our servers are in same workgroup, private queue is still considerable choice for production.

Shigeru Watanabe
    Tuesday, May 03, 2011 2:26 AM
  • John

Thank you posting useful link. I felt that my issue came from somewhere around security setting. That is a reason why I set "Anonymous Login" at my test queue. But obviously it was not enough for server OS.

Now it looks working fine. Thanks again.

PS.
    I am wondering why MS doesn't release any UI feature to set queue security level. Modifying registry key is fine to me, but not everybody.

Shigeru Watanabe
    Tuesday, May 03, 2011 2:32 AM
  • "PS. I am wondering why MS doesn't release any UI feature to set queue security level. Modifying registry key is fine to me, but not everybody."

That's easy. Changing the UI costs more in terms of development, testing, documentation, etc.

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Hi, I am having a the exact same issue with my remote private queue. How did you set up the security in order to be able to read the queues?

I read the link posted on this thread, but I think it has to do something with the set up of the security. I did exactly what you did at the beginning with the anonymus login and everyone's login.

Thanks in Advance.

Friday, January 27, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Hi Marco,

If you have set the queue permissions to Full Control for Everyone and Anonymous Logon then the queue itself is not the problem.

The blog link above has the solutions to the other security issues you will encounter:

• Secured remote read interface enabled
    • Windows Firewall blocks RPC port 135
    • Un-authenticated RPC calls disabled 

Cheers

John Breakwell

Friday, January 27, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Hi John,

I am wondering if you can help me with my issue, trying to receive from remote private queue and getting Access Denied.

If I try using a VBScript, it works fine, which implies my queue permissions are ok.
    If I try using a .Net application, it does not.  I'm probably not doing it properly in the .Net version, even though it worked fine when developing against a local private queue.

Please see THIS THREAD for details.

Thanks in advance if you or anybody else can help me.

Ron Mittelman

Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:38 PM