none
Windows 8 Virtual Com Port Support

Question

• We, like many thousands of other seafarers have successfully run our navigation software on Windows platforms - until Windows 8 came along. Now our ability to input GPS data to our software via virtual port creation software such as Xport or Franson GPS Gate has ended. These programs which detect GPS data on bluetooth or a USB port and distribute it to several programs via virtual ports simply will not function on Windows 8. Franson say that they have no solution so we are forced to stay with Windows 7. Unfortunately the newer Windows 8 laptops will not allow you to install Windows 7, and so in our case we had to return a new Toshiba Ultrabook and scrounge around for an older model supplied with Windows 7. This has solved our problem in the short term, but with Windows 8 being forced upon us both in marketing and hardware terms, what of the future? Where do we go when the current hardware fails? Why have Microsoft not included support for this feature which has worked well for decades?

Does anyone have a solution?

Ian Shepherd s/y Crusader

Saturday, December 22, 2012 3:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Ian,

You can use the Location API and a Location Provider Driver to get NMEA strings, instead of using a virtual COM port.  Here are the relevant links and programming references:

Location API:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd464636(v=vs.85).aspx
    Location provider:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/windows/hardware/ff545919(v=vs.85).aspx
    Location provider sample:  http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowshardware/Sensors-Geolocation-Driver-5f2a11d6
    Properties, including SENSOR_DATA_TYPE_NMEA_SENTENCE:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd318981(VS.85).aspx

Thanks,
    Janet

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, December 22, 2012 9:34 PM
  • hi Janet

i have the same problem with my new Lenovo thinkpad tablet 2

my navigation software read incomin GPS data only by COM port's

how i can fix it ? maby, you now about some programs or new drivers ?

i,m not programer, i nead some easy solution..

please help!

• Proposed as answer by Ring vasyl Tuesday, February 05, 2013 11:35 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ring vasyl Tuesday, February 05, 2013 11:35 AM
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 11:34 AM
  • Hello Ring,

well my solution was to return the new Ultrabook and buy the previous model which was supplied with Windows 7. As expected, virtual com ports worked 100%.

I agree, Janets solution is just not acceptable to the end user customer who supports Microsoft in good faith. That said, I did try the latest version of Franson GPS Gate and ran it on a Samsung Windows 8 platform as opposed to my Toshiba. It did work so there maybe a Windows 8 issue combined with non compatibility of the chipset perhaps? All I can suggest is that you download the latest GPS client from Franson and give it a try. I shall be staying with Windows 7 till it is finally extinct. There is nothing in Windows 8 that appeals to me.

Good luck

Ian

IHS

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:24 PM
  • Hi Ring,

You cannot use the COM port directly in Windows 8.  Please see the links in my original answer for information about how to access location.  You should contact the manufacturer for information on their Windows 8 support plans.

• Proposed as answer by Murvark Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:45 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Murvark Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:45 AM
    Wednesday, February 06, 2013 5:45 PM
  • Hi Ring,

You cannot use the COM port directly in Windows 8.  Please see the links in my original answer for information about how to access location.  You should contact the manufacturer for information on their Windows 8 support plans.

Hi there

I don't understand this quote coming from someone on behalf of Microsof. I have the same problem on Samsung XE700. I has by default two virtual com ports Silicon Labs cp210x USB to UART bridge (comx) wich I supposed should run the GNSS sensor data but notthing runs on them.

On the other hand the useless bing Maps only run on internet connexion giving erratic positioning wich is worth than having no position at all.

I've tried an external GPS via bluetooth and the system created another two virtual com ports but, if I get a connection, on second usage it doesn't recognise my device.

I din't try Franson's GPSGate because win 8 is not mention in their requirements and it needs, in any case, a com port

So, for now, geolocation, on win 8 is useless

One more thing. On the first reply Janet gives clues for programing drivers. Does she suppose Microsoft consumers are all programers?.

Monday, February 11, 2013 3:12 PM
  • Hi Janet,

As a firmware developer of serial-to-USB-adapters (for maritime applications, in my case), I would propose that Microsoft provides a generic NMEA0183-filter driver (a.k.a serenum) for the Serial communication class, providing the NMEA-to-Location API-conversion out-of-the-box.

Currently, there is no commercial incentive to re-develop something that isn't broken.

A standard-Microsoft NMEA0183-to-Location API + NMEA0183 AIS-provider would make both end-users and developers happy.

Thanks!

Monday, February 11, 2013 7:07 PM
  • So, please help me understand this.

Does Microsoft Autoroute 2013 support this new set of APIs, or does it continue to use the legacy virtual COM port interfaces?

It's not clear from the system requirements whether it will run on a Windows 8 tablet with a built-in GPS sensor. I'm seeing reports that it doesn't.

If that is the case, and it does not work, then I find it ironic that Janet Schneider, a Microsoft employee, is telling developers to stop coding for the legacy interfaces and start using the new Windows 8 interfaces when the Microsoft team responsible for Autoroute 2013 have not done this.

The left hand of Microsoft, as is so often the case, clearly does not know what the right hand is doing.

It is also clear that customers who have previous versions of Autoroute, or other navigation software that is written to interface to GPS devices via virtual COM ports, will not be able to use their products with the built-in GPS sensor on a Windows 8 tablet.

What would be useful is for someone (e.g., gasp, Microsoft) to produce a software shim that could interface between the new built-in GPS APIs and the legacy virtual COM ports.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:10 AM
  • Maybe we'd better start a new thread about the GPS APIs vs. "virtual ports" and app compatibility.

On normal Win8 (not "RT" or ARM) both virtual ports and legacy apps are not a problem at all. On "RT", app developers will use the new API anyway, and custom virtual ports are prohibited (or prohibitively hard to install).

Regards,

-- pa

Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:00 PM
  • Sigh.

I thought that I'd take a look at Microsoft AutoRoute 2013 for myself and check whether it would work with a Windows 8 tablet that had a built-in GPS sensor.

So I downloaded the trial version from Microsoft's site and installed it on my Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2. Along the way I noticed that the Microsoft site burbles excitedly about the new touch features in AutoRoute 2013:

"New! Take advantage of Windows 8 touch actions such as swiping, pinching, and stretching."

And the answer to my question: no, it does NOT interface with the GPS.

Instead you get a plaintive error message saying:

"No GPS receiver is detected. Make sure that the GPS cable is plugged into the communications (COM) port on your computer and that no other program is using it."

As I said before, the right hand of Microsoft has not the faintest idea what the left hand is doing. And for the AutoRoute team to make a song and dance about the fact that AutoRoute 2013 supports touch, while forgetting to use the Windows 8 interface to the GPS sensor almost beggars belief.

They have delivered a broken product.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:09 PM
  • Maybe we'd better start a new thread about the GPS APIs vs. "virtual ports" and app compatibility.

On normal Win8 (not "RT" or ARM) both virtual ports and legacy apps are not a problem at all. On "RT", app developers will use the new API anyway, and custom virtual ports are prohibited (or prohibitively hard to install).

Regards,

-- pa

Pavel - My Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 runs Windows 8 Pro, not Windows RT, and Microsoft AutoRoute does not interface with the GPS receiver in the tablet. There are no virtual ports present. Who is responsible for installing them?
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:29 PM
  • In my tablet with Windows 8 (no RT ARM) I did not notice any COM port! And none of my friends could not run even one navigation program! even with the help of programs such as GpsGate, Turbo GPS - nothing works!  

All my life I bought Microsoft software and now I think about go to Android platform - because that's where everything works perfectly!

Microsoft!     Fix it !

Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:35 PM
  • I have a GPS Logger device (a Qstarz Travel Recorder), which I use for recording GPS data when shooting photos. This communicates via Bluetooth and virtual COM ports with Windows applications.

I have successfully paired this device with my ThinkPad Tablet 2 with the following steps:

1. Change PC Settings

2. Select Devices

3. Add a device.

Windows added the device and installed the driver software automatically. It set up two virtual COM ports (COM4 and COM5), both listed as "Standard Serial over Bluetooth link" in Device Manager.

AutoRoute 2013 can now work with this external GPS logger - but there still seems to be no way to get it to work with the internal GPS receiver of the Tablet itself.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:58 PM
  • AutoRoute 2013 can now work with this external GPS logger - but there still seems to be no way to get it to work with the internal GPS receiver of the Tablet itself.

How does the internal GPS receiver appear in Device manager?

-- pa

• Proposed as answer by magioros Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:11 PM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 1:40 PM
  • AutoRoute 2013 can now work with this external GPS logger - but there still seems to be no way to get it to work with the internal GPS receiver of the Tablet itself.

How does the internal GPS receiver appear in Device manager?

-- pa

There's a new section in Device Manager titled "Sensors", and the various hardware sensors appear there. For example, on my ThinkPad Tablet 2, there are three entries:

- Broadcomm GNSS Geolocation Sensor
    - HID Sensor Collection
    - Simple Device Orientation Sensor

Sunday, February 24, 2013 2:01 PM
  • It makes no sense to use an external device if you have an internal GPS!

Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:18 PM
  • It makes no sense to use an external device if you have an internal GPS!

agreed. I was merely confirming that software (the latest version from Microsoft itself!) is still being written for a software environment that is no longer what we should expect moving forwards with Windows 8 and new hardware.
    • Edited by Geoffc1 Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:35 PM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:34 PM
  • If the built-in GPS appears as a sensor, it likely uses this API which existed back since Win7. ... Time for update...

-- pa

Note: that article mentions a lot of COM interfaces - but these are not COM ports :-(

• Edited by Pavel A Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:30 PM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:27 PM
  • Note: that article mentions a lot of COM interfaces - but these are not COM ports :-

Sometimes I think that the whole of Microsoft's documentation has deliberately been sent through an obfuscation generator... :-(

Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:39 PM
  • I have been waiting for the surface pro specifically so I can use it with my X86 navigation program.  I am now finding that the program probably won't see the internal GPS on this device and may not see my external Garmin GPS.  Is this correct?

Peter R Ferguson

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:05 AM
  • Hi Peter,

The Surface Pro does not have an internal GPS.  While we have verified basic connectivity with an external Garmin still works on Windows 8 pro, we have not verified it with AutoRoute 2013.  The optional external GPS that comes bundled with AutoRoute 2013 also has a location provider (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/windows/hardware/ff545919(v=vs.85).aspx).

While we do not expect end-consumers to have to know about the Windows Location Platform, IHVs/ISVs should refer to the links in my earlier response to fully integrate with Windows Store Apps.

Thanks,
    Janet

Monday, February 25, 2013 4:19 PM
  • Janet,

AutoRoute 2013 does NOT integrate with GNSS sensors that may be present in Windows 8 hardware such as Windows 8 Tablets. I find it an astonishing oversight of the AutoRoute team that they make a song and dance about supporting Touch in AutoRoute 2013, when they appear to have completely overlooked integration with GPS receivers built-in to tablets.

http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/microsoft-does-it-again/

• Edited by Geoffc1 Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:10 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 4:48 PM
  • Sorry to highjack this thread, I have the opposite problem and am finding it hard to get straight answers from MS. I want to use an external GPS device (USB or BT) with "modern" Metro apps, specifically on Windows RT. I want to know what MS's plans are to enable this, or whether device makers will be providing drivers? Specifically, I am writing an app that needs high precision GPS. I want to be able to run it on my Surface RT. So far, it seems this is just not possible at all, which is not good enough. It seems that on the x86 version of Windows 8 you can use this 3rd party driver to convert from COM port GPS -> the new GPS API.

So Microsoft, I would suggest "the ball is in your park". You need to quickly cover off both scenarios - provide a transparent layer that will automatically enable legacy GPS apps (that require COM port) via the "new" location API (ie internal sensors), and the opposite: automatically convert legacy COM port NMEA data to the "new" Location API. AND IT MUST WORK ON WINDOWS RT!!!

Preferably by next Monday.

Thanks.

PS can you MS guys stop marking each others' "Answers" as answers when they don't resolve the problem in the slightest!!
    • Edited by LMKz Sunday, March 24, 2013 9:02 PM added PS
    Sunday, March 24, 2013 9:00 PM
  • You already know the answer, why to kick the dead horse again.

-- pa

• Edited by Pavel A Sunday, March 24, 2013 10:24 PM
    Sunday, March 24, 2013 10:20 PM
  • I have a Lenovo thinkpad 2 model #  367927U i use oziexplorer for my Gps mapping software the updated version read data from the Broadcom chipset 
    Monday, April 08, 2013 10:55 AM
  • Yes, Des Newman (the developer of Oziexplorer) has added the capability to interface with the Location API used by the GPS hardware in Windows 8 tablets.

posted by Gcoupe on Lenovo support

Monday, April 08, 2013 11:01 AM
  • fastestphill

I have Oziexplorer (3.95.5q) on a Sony Vaio Duo 11. If I attach a Garmin USB all is fine.  If I ask Ozi to find GPS other, it will find the Microsoft Internal API output and give me a correct lat long.  However I have not been able to find any config setting so moving map can use this API info. Can you help?

Peter R Ferguson

Bingo, all I had to do was DL the latest version  3.95.5r and it has the option to select "Windows 8 Internal GPS" in the configuration.  It found my location instantly on the loaded map. All hail Des Newman the developer of Oziexplorer.

• Edited by Poppapete Friday, April 12, 2013 11:52 PM
    Monday, April 08, 2013 10:49 PM
  • I have also the same problem with my brand new Lenovo Tablet 2 and an aviation software which needs the GPS at a COM port. I am very disapointed that neither Lenovo nor Microsoft has a solution at the moment. Maybe I should send the tablet back and buy an apple ...

What does it mean that Oziexplorer is able to use the integrated GPS? Can I install Oziexplorer and then also other applications especially my aviation software is able to find the integrated GPS? Or is Oziexplorer only an alternative solution instead of applications which need legacy COM ports?

Markus

Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:44 AM
  • Can I install Oziexplorer and then also other applications especially my aviation software is able to find the integrated GPS?

No, this won't work. It's just that Des Newman has added the capability to read from internal GPS sensor hardware alongside the traditional method of reading from legacy COM ports to the latest version of Oziexplorer .

The developer of your aviation software would need to do something similar.

Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:29 AM
  • Hi Ian,

I had the same problem this weekend with gps port and maxsea under windows 8. I found a solution with virtual serial port driver from eltima software. You must create a virtual com port pair com 1 and com 2, than let gps-gate send output on com 1 and receive the gps data with your application on com 2. It's a little bit tricky and I hope it will work stable.

regards

Kurt

• Proposed as answer by Alpha LAN Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:31 AM
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Hi Kurt,

did you use the GNSS-Sensor or external GPS. I use Maxsea TimeZero with a Lenovo Tablett and internal GPS but no Chance to connect it with Maxsea.

Regards Uwe

Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:31 AM
  • Could we end this thread and move the GPS discussion somewhere else?

Win8 Answers forums

Win8 App Compatibility

-- pa

• Edited by Pavel A Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:32 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:32 PM
  • I am a pilot who has been watching this thread hoping to find an answer to this issue. I finally found it, so I thought I would post it for all of you following this thread.

I just found an application called Centrifuse Localizer (http://www.centrafuse.com/centrafuse-localizer) that takes the Windows 8 location information and outputs it to a com port. I have it loaded on my Lenovo TPT2, and I am seeing a reasonably accurate location on my Jeppesen flying application, which tends to be pretty finicky. I haven't had any time to test it thoroughly yet, but wanted to get this post up for the rest of you.

I hope this helps all the rest of you early adopters.
    • Proposed as answer by PeterBaenziger Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:48 PM
    Friday, May 24, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Downloaded to my Vaio 11 running W8 64.  No joy so far. Program loads but I get no fix and it cannot find any comm ports.  Maybe I am not using it correctly!

Peter R Ferguson

Friday, May 24, 2013 9:11 PM
  • Did you check your Sensors in Device Manager to make sure they are operating correctly?  I was having a problem with the Windows Location Provider, and had to uninstall the driver and let Windows reinstall it.  Then it started working correctly.

Are you getting an accurate location in Bing Maps?

It could be an incompatibility with the 64 bit version.  My TPT2 is 32 bit.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:39 AM
  • The sensors are working.  I am using oziexplorer and it can find my lat long using the sensor api.  Bing too has my position.  I checked on FAQ and:

"Centrafuse was not designed for a 64bit OS. If you wish to use a 64bit OS with Centrafuse, we highly recommend you download the trial version and try it out first. We will try to look into fixing some of these issues, but please realize they are not a priority at this time and may not make it into future builds."

This refers to their Centrafuse Auto as opposed to Centrafuse Locator but I suspect that you are correct and it is a 64 bit problem.

I am using Windows 8 64bit on a Sony Vaio Duo11

Peter R Ferguson

• Edited by Poppapete Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:52 AM
    Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:49 AM
  • Centrafuse Localizer should work with either x86 or x64 version of Windows 8. I wrote it and use it on my desktop x64 machine for testing, and on my Asus VivoTab  running 32-bit Win8. The product was tested with MS Streets and Trips, Sygic Fleet, CoPilot, PC Navigator and OziExplorer. the latest version of OziExplorer supports direct use of the Windows Location API, so Centrafuse Localizer probably isn't needed if you use that product.

Localizer has a 30-day, fully functional free trial, so if you run into any issues, we can help you get it sorted out BEFORE you spend any money. On my Asus VivoTab, I have noticed that the location platform can be slow to initialize. Opening Bing maps seems to "kickstart" it on some occasions. Usually, it will startup on its own within a couple of minutes.  You can post questions and comments to our forums at: http://forums.centrafuse.com/forumdisplay.php?107-Localizer-Support

Cheers!

Mark Twyman

Centrafuse Inc.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 8:26 PM
  • Mark,

Thanks for the information.  I will try your locator software again. As I stated earlier I can get OziExplorer to locate me using the location API but it does not give any other data such as speed or direction so it is of limited use when trying to use "Moving Map".

Regards

Peter R Ferguson

Saturday, May 25, 2013 9:10 PM
  • Loaded this program.  After discussions with Mark at Centrafuse Inc. , have it working on my Windows 8 64 bit Vaio Duo 11.  This program creates a virtual com port and send the sensor location data to it. You can choose the port #. The 30 day trial lets you make sure it works before you buy.

Peter R Ferguson

Monday, May 27, 2013 9:57 PM
  • Mark,

I have a ASUS VivoTab ME400C and installed your Localizer, after paying for it, and after purchasing S&T 2013 and get to a point, in S&T, that says "the GPS receiver is sending messages but they are not being recognized as NMEA 2.0-compatible. Make sure the GPS receiver input/output format is set ti deliver NMEA 2.0 messages at the correct baud (4800 bps). where do I go from here.  I am not a programer and hope there is a somewhat simple fix.  Thanks for your help.

Rick

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:44 AM
  • Rick,

Don't know if mark follows this thread much. Best to post this question on his site:

http://forums.centrafuse.com/forumdisplay.php?107-Localizer-Support

Poppapete

Peter R Ferguson

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:12 AM
  • The worldcomm ND100S works fine on virtual com port 5 on Surface Pro with AutoRoute 2013

I did have to ask control panel system device manager to look automatically for the driver, but this was a two minute semi automatic job.

Shame the Metro App Maps will only use the Location Services driver that derives location data from wifi as my mobile hot spot can't provide that information accurately when youre on the move, obviously.

• Edited by cliffpatte Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:29 PM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:27 PM
  • I have used centrafuse localizer on vaio duo. AutoRoute 2013 works with the internal gps on port that centrafus provides

• Edited by magioros Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:12 PM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:11 PM
  • More joy regarding Centrifuse Localizer.  It's doing the job on my Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 running W8 Pro.  It establishes a virtual serial port and receives the data from the GNSS sensor.  It outputs correctly in NMEA0183 format and gives me a stable accurate fix in Coastal Explorer.  The only caveat right now is that I haven't moved the boat since getting the data string to the nav software.  We're heading out tomorrow for several weeks of cruising, and I'm hoping it will continue to work as well as it does in a static position.
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:30 PM
  • Thanks for the hint for Centrifuse Localizer. I'm using Fugavi Global Navigator on a Win 8 Pro operated Thinkpad 2. Now Fugawi runs fine.

I will do some tests. If all keeps running fine, I'm gonna purchase Localizer.

Regards, Para

Saturday, August 31, 2013 2:08 PM
  • Hello all,

The fact that an item of software that is written for profit is proposed as a solution to a "defect" of the latest Windows operating system, on an official Microsoft site is INCREDIBLE. From my little reading Android and iPads seem to do the job. I have invested 25 years on Microsoft operating systems & platforms and continue to do so. Microsoft ought to buy that piece of software, if not develop it, and include it in the next set of updates. Consider this as a tribute to all the investors of Microsoft all these years!!! Anyway this is good commercial practice if you agree. Thank you.

Friday, December 27, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Just bought myself a tablet and after searching the web for two days found the answer -  well at least it worked for me.

I have a Samsung ATIV Tab 5 with Windows 8.1

To get USB GPS to work just disable "Secure boot" in the Bios of your tablet. And then use something like "GpsGate Client" that will convert your GPS USB input to a virtual COM port.

Another great tool you can then add is "gps7s32.exe".  This will take your virtual COM port device and link it to the Windows Location API

• Edited by Murvark Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:50 AM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:52 AM
  • If you’re looking for a map application that has maps held on your Tablet, and which will work directly with the GNSS sensor in the Windows Tablets, then the good news is that Nokia has released its HERE Maps App for all Windows 8.1 devices. Even better, it’s free.
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:59 AM
  • A great solution I recently discovered... for those of us that own an Android smartphone, you can download a free app called extGPS. It basically turns your phone into an external bluetooth GPS antenna. Pair your phone to you tablet/laptop, run the app, connect to the virutal com port the bluetooth driver creates. I know it kind of defeats the purpose of having built-in GPS, but it's free and it works with my Lenovo Miix 2 8.
    • Edited by mattnukem Tuesday, March 04, 2014 6:02 PM
    Tuesday, March 04, 2014 6:01 PM
  • Some interesting stuff 'bout Toshiba encore navigation:

http://m4750.blogspot.ro/2014/06/toshiba-ecore-windows-81-navigatie-gps.html

M

P.S.You may need google translate...

Saturday, June 07, 2014 12:39 AM
  • I was able to work around the virtual COM port Problem by using TCP instead:

in my Windows 8.1 device (a Dell Venue 8 Pro) I installed the "Local Loopback" Network device and configured a fixed IP for it (from a private subnet like 10.x.x.x). This IP is then used in Franson GpsGate for the "TCP Server" as an Output Option. 2 different Navigation programs connect to that IP/Port at the same time.

Sunday, July 27, 2014 8:02 AM