none
Windows 8 Start Screen Shortcuts for Desktop Apps

General discussion

• Hi,

I am facing an issue regarding windows 8 shortcuts.

My app is not getting pinned for all users for my installed desktop apps.

If admin is installing that desktop app, then shortcut of app is getting pinned only for admin not for other users which we never faced with previous version of windows.

Can any one provide the reason for this issue or any reference for it.

Kindly let me know the reason why Microsoft has designed the Windows 8 Start Screen with this drawback.

Regards.

Ramakrishna

• Edited by rk_Edurite Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:10 AM
    • Changed type rk_Edurite Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:16 AM
    Monday, November 05, 2012 6:37 AM

All replies

• We have a desktop application, which will create shortcut in start menu of all users [Start-> Programs] in Windows XP, Vista and Win 7.

When we are installing the same application in Windows 8, the short cut has been created for all users. But the short cut is pinned(showing) only for the user, who installed the application.

There is an option to pin the shortcuts manually. We are looking for the solution to pin(show) the shortcuts for all users at the time of installation.

How can we pin(show) the shortcuts for all the users?

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:29 PM
  • We have met same problem.

Install an applicatin for one user,  the shortcuts are pinned on Start screen.   Then create a new user and swtiching to new user,  the shortcuts are not showed as expected.

And there is another problem,  installation of some software will pin a lot of icons on Start screen which looks messy. In fact only one or two of these icons are key applications.  Seems Windows 8 can't control this.

Is there any explanation or solution?

Friday, November 16, 2012 8:23 AM

Install an applicatin for one user,  the shortcuts are pinned on Start screen.   Then create a new user and swtiching to new user,  the shortcuts are not showed as expected.

And there is another problem,  installation of some software will pin a lot of icons on Start screen which looks messy. In fact only one or two of these icons are key applications.  Seems Windows 8 can't control this.

I've observed the below points. But i dont have any evidence for it like MSDN docs.

Observation 1: the shortcuts are not showed as expected.

Type1:
     1.We have created the User1,User2 and User3 accounts in fresh Windows 8.
    2.Now signed in to the User1 and singed out from the User1.
    3.Now signed in to the User2 and signed out from the User2.
    4.Now again signed in to the User1 and installed the myproduct and found myproduct shortcuts are displaying properly in Start Screen.
    5.Then signed out from the User1 and signed in to the User2 (this is not first time signed for User2).
    6.Now we have found that shortcuts are displayed for the User2 (even the myproduct is installed by the User1).
    7.Now again singed out from the User2 and signed in to the User3 (this is the first time User3 is signing to the pc).
    8.Now we have found that shortcuts are not displayed for the User3 (since the shortcuts are displayed for the User2, but the first time User3 has signed in to the pc).

Type2:
     1.Now in the above same pc (which followed above steps 1 to 8 of Observation 3 – type1), User1 has installed the myproduct and found myproduct shortcuts are displaying properly in Start Screen..
    2.Now signed in to the User2 (this is not first time signed for User2) and that shortcuts are displayed for the User2 (even the myproduct is installed by the User1).
    3.Now signed out from the User2 and signed in to the User3 (this is not first time signed for User3) and found that shortcuts are not displayed for the User3 (even it is not first time sign in to the User3).

Type3:
     1.Now in the above same pc (which followed above steps 1 to 8 of Observation 3 – type1), User1 has installed the other application (say MS-Office) and found that  shortcuts are displaying properly in Start Screen.
    2.Now signed in to the User2 (this is not first time signed for User2) and that shortcuts are displayed for the User2 (even the MS-Office is installed by the User1).
    3.Now signed out from the User2 and signed in to the User3 (this is not first time signed for User3) and found that shortcuts are displayed for the User3 (even it is not first time sign in to the User3).

Conclusion:
    •Hence we can conclude that, the first time preparing the Start Screen for any User is making the problem (Windows 8 is not considering the existed shortcuts for the first time singed in user).
    •The Start Screen is showing properly the shortcuts for all applications to the Users who are signed in to the system at least once.

Observation 2:   installation of some software will pin a lot of icons on Start screen which looks messy.

Windows 8 Start Screen is showing all shortcuts installed by any applications are exactly exe's. It is not showing any shortcuts other than Exe's. Let say, webpages, .txt file's shortcuts are not pinned autometically installed by application.

Regards.

Ramakrishna

• Edited by rk_Edurite Monday, November 19, 2012 5:59 AM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 1:55 PM

I've observed the below points. But i dont have any evidence for it like MSDN docs.

Observation 1: the shortcuts are not showed as expected.

Type1:
     1.We have created the User1,User2 and User3 accounts in fresh Windows 8.
    2.Now signed in to the User1 and singed out from the User1.
    3.Now signed in to the User2 and signed out from the User2.
    4.Now again signed in to the User1 and installed the myproduct and found myproduct shortcuts are displaying properly in Start Screen.
    5.Then signed out from the User1 and signed in to the User2 (this is not first time signed for User2).
    6.Now we have found that shortcuts are displayed for the User2 (even the myproduct is installed by the User1).
    7.Now again singed out from the User2 and signed in to the User3 (this is the first time User3 is signing to the pc).
    8.Now we have found that shortcuts are not displayed for the User3 (since the shortcuts are displayed for the User2, but the first time User3 has signed in to the pc).

Type2:
     1.Now in the above same pc (which followed above steps 1 to 8 of Observation 3 – type1), User1 has installed the myproduct and found myproduct shortcuts are displaying properly in Start Screen..
    2.Now signed in to the User2 (this is not first time signed for User2) and that shortcuts are displayed for the User2 (even the myproduct is installed by the User1).
    3.Now signed out from the User2 and signed in to the User3 (this is not first time signed for User3) and found that shortcuts are not displayed for the User3 (even it is not first time sign in to the User3).

Type3:
     1.Now in the above same pc (which followed above steps 1 to 8 of Observation 3 – type1), User1 has installed the other application (say MS-Office) and found that  shortcuts are displaying properly in Start Screen.
    2.Now signed in to the User2 (this is not first time signed for User2) and that shortcuts are displayed for the User2 (even the MS-Office is installed by the User1).
    3.Now signed out from the User2 and signed in to the User3 (this is not first time signed for User3) and found that shortcuts are displayed for the User3 (even it is not first time sign in to the User3).

Conclusion:
    •Hence we can conclude that, the first time preparing the Start Screen for any User is making the problem (Windows 8 is not considering the existed shortcuts for the first time singed in user).
    •The Start Screen is showing properly the shortcuts for all applications to the Users who are signed in to the system at least once.

Observation 2:   installation of some software will pin a lot of icons on Start screen which looks messy.

Windows 8 Start Screen is showing all shortcuts installed by any applications are exactly exe's. It is not showing any shortcuts other than Exe's. Let say, webpages, .txt file's shortcuts are not pinned autometically installed by application.

Regards.

Ramakrishna

I can confirm this behaviour and find it really buggy and totally unaccetable. I cannot understand how there aren't more complaints about this on google. It must be a nightmare for all sysadmins implementing windows 8 in their corporations.
    Tuesday, March 05, 2013 3:00 PM
  • I can also confirm this behaviour. Ant it really is a nightmare for me as a sysadmin implementing Windows 8 in our organization.

I have tried using Group Policy Preferences to create shortcuts (both the User and Computer part), creating MSI's, copying shortcuts manually to %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start menu, creating shortcuts with vbscript in a logon script.. I still haven't found a way to put/pin shortcuts on Windows 8 start screen for all new users.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:37 AM
  • Might not be the answer you would like to hear, but it appears as though this behavior is by design as documented in the following KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2796196/en-us

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:49 AM