none
conime.exe

Answers

• How do you exit your myconsole.exe program? Do you just close the window or press a keystroke and allow the program to exit normally?

You can always have Nortel open a case as a Partner on this issue if you continue to have issues.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 9:29 PM

All replies

• Vian,

I'll research this more. Are you working on Logo Certification. Is this an issue holding you up on anything. The reason I ask, is because I'm not sure where to start in my research. It may take a week before I make some good progress.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 1:24 AM
  • Thanks for response!

That's okay for me. It'll be half or a year that our product begins to use. Please take your time. I just want to know whether this issue is from Vista or not.

Thanks a lot!

Vian

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 2:19 AM
  • Hi Oliver,

How is your research going on? Have you found out a solution to fix it? Could you please share you plan?

Thanx,

Vian

Thursday, February 08, 2007 9:26 AM
  • Oliver is no longer available to research this issue.  If your company is Microsoft partner, I would suggest contacting your local partner support representative.  If this issue is confirmed as a bug, then you should not be charged for the support incident.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 8:09 PM
  • What's the file information on the conime.exe file (like version number, etc) and which directory is it located?

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 9:59 PM
  • The conime.exe is located in "C:\WINDOWS\system32", and the version number is "6.0.5600.16384".

I work in Nortel, who is the partner of Microsoft, if this doesn't work, I will contact the partner support representative. Thanks for your information!

Thanks,

Vian

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 9:40 AM
  • Hi Mo,

About this issue, I have an esay way to reproduce it, as below:

1) Compile these codes below, and produce an executable file (i.e. myConsole.exe).

#include "stdio.h"
    #include "conio.h"
    void main()
    {
      printf("->Hello!\n");
      getch();
    }

2) New a folder (i.e. myFolder), and copy myConsole.exe into this folder.

3) Double-click and run myConsole.exe (the process conime.exe is brought up now).

4) Exit myConsole.exe, and delete the folder (myFolder). You will find that you can't delete this folder, It said that it's opened by another program. If you terminate the process conime.exe, you can delete the folder.

This issue only exists on Vista, on Win 2k/XP, you can delete the folder.

I think it's a bug for Vista.

Vian

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:31 AM
  • How do you exit your myconsole.exe program? Do you just close the window or press a keystroke and allow the program to exit normally?

You can always have Nortel open a case as a Partner on this issue if you continue to have issues.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 9:29 PM
  • I just press a keystroke, and the program exits normally.

Thanks!

Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:53 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

What's result of this issue? Will MS fix it?

~ Vian

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 5:15 AM
  • Hi Vian,

we are getting the same behaviour with conime.exe that get started in Vista when we run a console application. Then conime.exe doesn't get kill and keep a lock (I am guessing it is his current working directory) to the path of our console application. Then if we call our uninstall software, the directory is not deleted because it is in use. Also, it happens with the US edition of Vista.

If you have some workaround (starting conime at the logon, force a kill to conime), I'll like to hear them.

Jean-Sebastien

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 3:31 PM
  • Hi Everybody

I am too facing the same problem with conime.exe. I have a console application which when executed, the conime.exe come up in the task processor (as expected) and then when the application exits normally, conime.exe stays in the memory. I am running US, Vista Professional. Can anybody let me know if  Microsoft has a fix for this or its a Bug?

Soumyajit.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:13 AM
  • Hi,

i found the same issue with my application on Windows Vista (couldn't delete current directory because it was locked by an instance of conime after application exit). The following workaround i used to fix this issue for my application on Vista (32bit) but so far i have not verified if this is a proper solution/workaround and if it works for Vista64 too.

Before application exit i walk through the process list and terminate the conime child process pointing to my applications process as a parent using functions CreateToolhelp32Snapshot(), Process32First() and Process32Next().

Mathias

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 5:45 PM
  •  

What is your program written in and how are you exiting your program? How do you execute your program?
    Tuesday, November 06, 2007 7:29 PM
  • Hi,

I have the exact same problem with an exe written in .NET 2.0, lauched via a shortcut on a french Vista. I exit by closing the window.

conime kept an handle on the application folder. So after exiting the application, I cannot remove the folder.

Eric

PS: I installed all fix proposed by WU on this computer and on the developpement one.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:15 PM
  • If it is a cmd window application, you need to have the application close before you close the window.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:19 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for your answer, but my description was not complet.

It is a simple WinForm application. If this can help, I can provide you either the MSI, the source code or acces to the test computer.

Eric

PS : The compile command from the VS2005:

Code Block

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Csc.exe /noconfig /nowarn:1701,1702 /platform:AnyCPU /errorreport:prompt /doc:bin\Debug\DbeeLiveCast.XML /define:CODE_ANALYSIS;CODE_ANALYSIS;DEBUG;TRACE /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Data.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Deployment.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Drawing.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Windows.Forms.dll /reference:C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Xml.dll /reference:obj\wmt9\Interop.HelixProducerLib.dll /reference:obj\wmt9\Interop.WMEncoderLib.dll /reference:obj\wmt9\AxInterop.HelixProducerLib.dll /debug+ /debug:full /out:obj\wmt9\DbeeLiveCast.exe /resource:obj\wmt9\DbeeLiveCast.Presentation.BaseReceiverForm.resources /resource:obj\wmt9\DbeeLiveCast.Presentation.EnterPassword.resources /resource:obj\wmt9\DbeeLiveCast.Presentation.Helix11ReceiverForm.resources /resource:obj\wmt9\DbeeLiveCast.Presentation.Wmt9ReceiverForm.resources /resource:obj\wmt9\DbeeLiveCast.Properties.Resources.resources /target:winexe /win32icon:ExeIcon.ico Framework\Basic.cs Framework\Interfaces.cs Objects\BaseReceiver.cs Objects\Helix11Receiver.cs Objects\WindowsMedia9Receiver.cs Presentation\BindableToolStripLabel.cs Presentation\BaseReceiverForm.cs Presentation\BaseReceiverForm.Designer.cs Presentation\EnterPassword.cs Presentation\EnterPassword.Designer.cs Presentation\Helix11ReceiverForm.cs Presentation\Helix11ReceiverForm.Designer.cs Presentation\Wmt9ReceiverForm.cs Presentation\Wmt9ReceiverForm.Designer.cs Properties\AssemblyInfo.cs Properties\Resources.Designer.cs Properties\Settings.Designer.cs Services\AutoupdateService.cs Services\FileExceptionHandler.cs Services\LocalLogService.cs Services\SimpleEventService.cs Services\SimpleMultiLanguageService.cs Services\SimpleNetworkService.cs Services\SimplePersistenceService.cs

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\AL.exe /culture:en-US /out:obj\wmt9\en-US\DbeeLiveCast.resources.dll /platform:AnyCPU /template:obj\wmt9\DbeeLiveCast.exe /embed:obj\wmt9\DbeeLiveCast.Presentation.BaseReceiverForm.en-US.resources

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\AL.exe /culture:fr-FR /out:obj\wmt9\fr-FR\DbeeLiveCast.resources.dll /platform:AnyCPU /template:obj\wmt9\DbeeLiveCast.exe /embed:obj\wmt9\DbeeLiveCast.Presentation.BaseReceiverForm.fr-FR.resources

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:13 AM
  • Hello,

you don't need to start a self-written application to run into the problem.
    conime.exe keeps running, if you start a batch file with just a call to xcopy in it.
    I'd say it's a bug in vista, you can reproduce it with software "out of the box".

It's annoying me every time i start a copy batch from an usb memory stick by clicking on it in explorer, because conime makes it impossible to unplug it safe. I'm using vista home premium with all patches.

Greetings
    Alois

Saturday, April 19, 2008 2:49 PM
  • Any solution ?

Sunday, July 13, 2008 4:23 PM
  • takeown /f %windir%\system32\conime.exe
    icacls %windir%\system32\conime.exe /grant %UserName%:F
    rename %windir%\system32\conime.exe conime.bak
    Sunday, July 13, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Hello

I accidentally found a workaround solution for this problem while trying to get rid of one other annoyance in Vista.

I was trying to get rid of the out of place looking language toolbar in UAC prompt and when I did, this problem was gone too. :)

The trick is to remove all other keyboard layouts except the one you use. To do this go to Control Panel - Regional and Language Options - Keyboard and Languages tab and then remove all unnecessary input languages except the one you use. After this console applications shouldn't spawn conime.exe (After all conime.exe is "Console Input Method Editor") anymore and as a added bonus the language toolbar won't show up in the UAC prompt anymore. :)

Of course this is not a solution for users that actually use different input languages...

• Proposed as answer by TheOdds Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:38 AM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:37 AM
  • I only have one language installed (English) but conime.exe is still running on my system. In fact I've found 6 copies of the file in different places within the Windows folder. If this is a legitimate Windows program why does it need to run if you're only using English?
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:43 AM