none
Error 1722 Rosetta Stone Software - Windows Installer Package Error

Question

•  

Help, I am getting the following error message when attempting to install Rosetta Stone v3.2.11A (french version 3). "Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program run as part of the set up did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action addFirewall_RS_v3App_DIR_IN, location:...\Roset..."

Rosetta Stone is stumped, they are sending me a new cd, but I have a feeling that won't resolve it, I really wanted to learn before the end of the summer, can anyone advise?  I greatly appreciate your direction in advance.

I will say that I am unable to start my windows firewall package, and think it may be related,  I loaded Windows OneCare and I now at least a firewall is working on my computer, but the default windows firewall seems not to want to co-operate.  Thanks again.

Thursday, July 03, 2008 4:46 AM

All replies

• Try changing DEP settings to essential windows programs and services only.
    Friday, July 18, 2008 1:18 AM
  •  

Didn't work, but thank you so much, I am beginning to lose hope that I will learn any french at all...
    Friday, July 18, 2008 3:02 AM
  • If you are installing to any drive other than c:\.... you will receive this error.  Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by JSpaid Monday, April 09, 2012 2:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by JSpaid Monday, April 09, 2012 2:20 PM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:30 PM
  • This error is due to the windows firewall service not running. I used a tweek program to turn off services and windows firewall was one of them. If the service is not running the software will give this error. Go through the services and turn on any that look like they are related to the firewall.

• Proposed as answer by micokeman Tuesday, April 27, 2010 2:22 PM
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:50 AM
  • I have been attempting to install to drive C, thanks so much though...

Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:42 AM
  • I think my firewall service is corrupted or missing because when I attempt to go into services and start it up (it's on automatic) it states...

Alert: Windows could not start the Windows Firewall on Local Computer, for more information, review the system event log.  If this is a non-microsoft service, contact the service vendor and refer to service specific error code 6.  Much appreciated...(sigh)

Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:47 AM
  •  

I had the same problem after trying to re-install a software for my Sprint Card after doing a system restoration. here's what i did: 1. Uninstalled the software since i tried to install it before, partial intallation was still trying to run the program.  2. Uninstalled Java. 3. Installed software again and voila!! . 4. installed Java again.

I hope this helps.

Friday, July 25, 2008 2:52 PM
  •  Tamethefox wrote:

Help, I am getting the following error message when attempting to install Rosetta Stone v3.2.11A (french version 3). "Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program run as part of the set up did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action addFirewall_RS_v3App_DIR_IN, location:...\Roset..."

I have been told by Rosetta Stone tech suppor that the application does not work with 64-bit OS.  So me and my Vista Ultimate 64 are SOL at the moment.  Any one have any ideas?

Monday, August 18, 2008 10:47 PM
  • Install Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 plus one update

Install a 32 bit version of Vista or XP Pro into a Virtual Machine

Run Rosetta from there.

I do this a lot to get past legacy SW issues until the Indusry catches up

• Proposed as answer by imgelem Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:50 AM
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 5:39 PM
  • This error is due to the windows firewall service not running. I used a tweek program to turn off services and windows firewall was one of them. If the service is not running the software will give this error. Go through the services and turn on any that look like they are related to the firewall.

@Dreadx: I can confirm that re-enabling the Windows Firewall allowed me to install Rosetta Stone 3.4.5 using Windows 7 x64. Thanks for the assistance.
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 9:09 AM
  • I can also confirm that Windows Firewall must be enabled. In my case I am running Win 7 32-bit, Firewall automatic and started. Good work.
    Friday, March 26, 2010 1:02 AM
  • @Dreadx: I can confirm that re-enabling the Windows Firewall allowed me to install Rosetta Stone 3.4.5 using Windows 7 x64. Thanks for the assistance.

On Windows server 2008 x64 had the same issue and Enabling/Starting the service of Windows Firewall Solved the problem.

Thanx alot nabilalk

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:03 PM
  •  

THE FOLLOWING WORKS ON WINDOWS 7 x64, I JUST DID IT MYSELF. IF YOU FOLLOW THIS STEP BY STEP, I GUARANTEE YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED. 

Make sure the following services are started:

Telephony,

Base filtering Engine (THIS IS THE ONE THAT GETS TURNED OFF SOME HOW THAT CAUSES THE PROBLEM),

Network Connections,

Network Location Awareness

Windows Management Instrumentation

Remote Access Connection Manager

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager, 

Remote Procedure Call

Once all of these services are started, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE SURE BASE FILTERING ENGINE IS ENABLED, I CANNOT STRESS THIS 

ENOUGH.

Once all of these are started... Enable windows firewall.

Success! 

Robert F, MCSE

• Proposed as answer by JWW619 Thursday, September 09, 2010 1:18 AM
    Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:44 AM
  • hey , i had the same problrm with rosetta stone 3.4.5 and it was solved by enabling the WINDOWS FIREWALL
    Monday, November 01, 2010 12:53 AM
  • Thanks this worked for me once I turned off the firewall i was able to install & update :)
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:25 PM
  • I have this exact issue with my rosetta stone v. 3.4.7 software, im getting the same error message during installation.

I have gone ahead and turned on my windows firewall and its up and "started" and "Automatic Start up"

BUT I AN STILL GETTING THIS ERROR MESSAGE WITH ROSETTA STONE..im running Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit

Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program run as part of the set up did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

I HAVE DONE ALL THIS>>LET ME KNOW IF MY SETTING ARE OFF????

Telephony:

STARTED -- START UP TYPE: AUTOMATIC

LOG ON AS: "THIS ACCOUNT: Network Service" 

Base filtering Engine: 

LOG ON AS: "THIS ACCOUNT: Local Service" 

Network Connections:

LOG ON AS: "Local System account" 

Network Location Awareness:

Windows Management Instrumentation:

Remote Access Connection Manager:

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager:

Remote Procedure Call (RPC):

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator:

***Windows Firewall:

***Windows Installer:

Okay now what do you see wrong!?..what do i do now??? 

• Edited by CrisX24 Friday, September 09, 2011 1:52 AM
    Friday, September 09, 2011 1:50 AM
  • It's correct. Re-enabling the Windows Firewall allowed me to install Rosetta Stone 3.4.7 using Windows 7  32 bit. Thank you very much.
    Desarrollador en .NET
    Monday, October 31, 2011 4:38 PM
  • There are several answers to this depending on the Action code in the error. To find it, do this, and the following resolutions:

How to Determine Error 1722 Action from the Windows Event Viewer

Windows XP/Server 2003
    1. Open the Start Menu
    2. Right-click on My Computer
    3. Select Manage
    4. Expand Computer Management (Local) -> System Tools -> Event Viewer and select the ‘Application’ Event Log

Windows XP/Server 2003

1. Open the Start Menu
    2. Right-click on Computer
    3. Select Manage
    4. Expand Computer Management (Local) -> System Tools -> Event Viewer -> Windows Logs and select the ‘Application’ Event Log

Look for an entry near the time of your server installation attempt, with a Source of MsiInstaller, and an event ID of 11722.

Rosetta's website has this: http://institutionalsuccess.rosettastone.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=14008

How do I resolve Error 1722 when installing Rosetta Stone Version 3?

Error 1722 is a Windows installer error that reports “Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.” and can occur for a variety of reasons. The text of the error message is often followed by an ‘Action’ with a specific name. For example:

If you have already clicked ‘OK’ and are unsure of the Action of your particular 1722 error, click the How to Determine 1722 Action from the Windows Event Viewer link below.

Note: If you encounter this error during the upgrade of an existing server installation, and you wish to retain your student database, contact Rosetta Stone Institutional Support immediately. If possible, do not cancel the installation or allow the installer to roll back.

Here's how to fix it: Please click the link pertaining to your Action below.

Action: ExtractNewApp

This is caused while installing the Application to a different hard drive than your operating system. If you receive this error, you should install the program to the operating system drive (usually your C: drive). If you need to save disk space you can still install the Language Levels onto a different hard drive.

Action: CreateFirewallExceptions

This error can be caused when:

• Installing Rosetta Stone Manager Version 3 Server on an unsupported operating system. For more information see our System Requirements.
    • The Windows Firewall service is disabled.
    • You are installing a version of the Server prior to Version 3.6 Manager or Manager Server, or Network client version 3.4.3, on a 64-bit operating system.

Enabling the Windows Firewall Service

Windows XP or Windows Server 2003:

1. Go to: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

2. If the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service’s Startup Type is not set to Automatic, set the the Startup Type to Automatic. This service can be returned to its previous state after the installation has completed.

Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008:

1. Go to: Control Panel > System Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Services.

2. If the Windows Firewall service’s Startup Type is not set to Automatic, set the the Startup Type to Automatic. This service can be returned to its previous state after the installation has completed.

Action: ChangeMySQLPassword

This error can be caused by:

• Installing Rosetta Stone to a hard disk that's not home to your operating system, usually the C: drive. If you need more disk space for Rosetta Stone Language Levels, you'll be able to install Language Levels to a different drive.
    • Installing under a non-administrator or otherwise restricted user account. Log-in as a local administrator if possible, and restart the installation.
    • The computer in which you are installing on already has an existing MySQL installation. If this is the case, please contact Rosetta Stone Institutional Support for more information.

Action: RestoreMySQLDB

This error can occur during while updating Rosetta Stone Manager because Rosetta Stone's Language Data was stored somewhere other than the default location (such as a secondary hard disk drive).

When RestoreMySQLDB.bat file executes, it looks for a backup of your MySQL data. The backup data is usually located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Rosetta Stone Manager V3 Server Backup\rsmv3_backup.sql

Or, on Windows Vista/7/Server 2008:

C:\ProgramData\Rosetta Stone Manager V3 Server Backup\rsmv3_backup.sql

If the Language Data is on a secondary drive, the backup also creates the MySQL dump on the secondary drive. When the restoration occurs, the installer looks in the wrong location for the MySQL backup data. 

Note: If you cannot find your language data, you may be able to find its location by checking the InstallerDefaults.xml file: C:\Program Files\Rosetta Stone\Rosetta Stone Manager V3 Server\utility\support\config\InstallerDefaults.xml

To Resolve this Error:

1. Create the missing Rosetta Stone Manager V3 Server Backup folder in the following directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

Or, on Windows Vista/7/Server 2008

C:\ProgramData

2. Find the rsmv3_backup.sql file.

3. Copy rsmv3_backup.sql and paste it into the new Rosetta Stone Manager V3 Server Backup folder.

You should now be able to update Rosetta Stone Manager V3 Server.

If you are still encountering Error 1722 after attempting these solutions, or have received a 1722 Error other than those mentioned in this article, please contact Rosetta Stone Institutional Support for further troubleshooting assistance. 

• Edited by JSpaid Monday, April 09, 2012 2:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by JSpaid Monday, April 09, 2012 2:20 PM
    Monday, April 09, 2012 2:11 PM
  • THE FOLLOWING WORKS ON WINDOWS 7 x64, I JUST DID IT MYSELF. IF YOU FOLLOW THIS STEP BY STEP, I GUARANTEE YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED. 

Make sure the following services are started:

Telephony,

Base filtering Engine (THIS IS THE ONE THAT GETS TURNED OFF SOME HOW THAT CAUSES THE PROBLEM),

Network Connections,

Network Location Awareness

Windows Management Instrumentation

Remote Access Connection Manager

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager, 

Remote Procedure Call

Once all of these services are started, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE SURE BASE FILTERING ENGINE IS ENABLED, I CANNOT STRESS THIS 

ENOUGH.

Once all of these are started... Enable windows firewall.

Success! 

Robert F, MCSE

Thanking you so much , your instructions worked....PERFECT. Take care mate !

Monday, July 09, 2012 11:22 PM
  • HURRAYYYYY I MANAGE TO DO IT on WINDOWS7 64x

I tried all above answers to start my windows firewall service but none of them worked.

I managed to do it through here:

Just ENABLE your WINDOWS FIREWALL following the instructions here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/windows-firewall-cant-change-some-of-your-settings/514d78fb-39e9-47b1-b561-bc49cbdad904

and then ROSETTA STONE will install perfectly on WINDOWS 7 64 Bit

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 10:30 AM