none
WDS 4: Indexing non-cached public folders?

Question

•  

Is it possible to include Exchange Public Folders into the index, when they are NOT offline cached? (like in Lookout,...)

Not that I need it, but I get the question quite a lot of times,... I think the answer is "no", but maybe,...

TiA

GeorgB

www.vistablog.at

Friday, April 25, 2008 8:35 AM

Answers

• No. As it will put excess load on the exchange server. Only the cached "Favorites" public folders are indexed.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 3:36 AM

All replies

• No. As it will put excess load on the exchange server. Only the cached "Favorites" public folders are indexed.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 3:36 AM
  •  

Well I understand the excess load, when each and every client tries to index the server, I thought of installing WDS on the exchange server and the possibility of accessing the index remote (still load, but shouldn't be that critical).

But ok, thank you for your answer!

Kind Regards

GeorgB

www.vistablog.at

Sunday, April 27, 2008 7:44 AM
  •  SaurabhB [MSFT] wrote:

No. As it will put excess load on the exchange server. Only the cached "Favorites" public folders are indexed.

Hi!

If I am right, it is now possible to index mailboxes without offline cache and even online delegate Mailboxes. This would put excess load on the exchange server too, but is configurable...

Does the Policy Setting "Enable Indexing of Uncached Exchange Folders" only affect the user mailboxes and not also the public folders?

Many of our customers need this feature an this sticks them with Windows XP, Office 2003 and Lookout 1.30. They won't upgrade to Vista and Office 2007 until they have a solid solution for this.

Rgds,

Axel

Saturday, August 09, 2008 9:44 AM
  •  agrubo wrote:

Many of our customers need this feature an this sticks them with Windows XP, Office 2003 and Lookout 1.30. They won't upgrade to Vista and Office 2007 until they have a solid solution for this.

I have the same request.

Lookout do it, and users must not lost this usefull tool !

And as say before with WDS4 with use on remote server who as indexe the public forlder i think it was ok for small bunisess server.

I think the choise need to made by IT admin, not by Microsoft, if we want to index public folder.

Regards, Philippe

Friday, August 22, 2008 10:11 AM
  • I agree. there are a lot of customers that do not have large public folders and it should be and option to index.

In fact WDS says the public oflder is indexed if you query a noncached public folder (publicfolder.store.isInstantSearchEnabled) but it is not indexed.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:10 PM