none
Retreive Wireless SSID BSSID encrption type and Authentication type

Question

• I surf the internet about three weeks ,it still can solve this problem thanks.

I use to WLAN API WlanGetNetworkBssList and  WlanGetAvailableNetworkList

to get SSID BSSID and encrption type and authetication type

But

in  WlanGetNetworkBssList  has BBSID and SSID,but it does not encrption type and authetication type

and in   WlanGetAvailableNetworkList has SSID encrption type and authetication type ,but  it does not BSSID .

using WlanGetNetworkBssList example in MSDN, let two SSID with the same encrption type and  authetication type ,it detect is wrong.

I set the two APs with same SSID and different encrption type and  authetication type ,

but i want to distinguish them.

I found it difficult, using  

also I use the command "netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid"

it also the same encryption type and authentication type with the same SSID

anyone how to solve this problem . I test many open source software ,it still have the same problem

How can i can distingisuh two machine with the same SSID and different BSSID and different encryption type and authentication type . and can show it together

thanks.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 12:31 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    Welcome here.

Based on your description, I will move this thread to a more appropriate forum: Windows Desktop SDK.

Thanks for your understanding.
    Regards,

Elegentin Xie
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 01, 2013 4:45 AM
  • A setup when APs at one location have same SSID but different security is unusual, you don't want it in real life.

-- pa

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 4:41 PM
  • thanks for your reply

because i want to detect refuge APs in our enviroment

so i would like to know how to distinguish them

thanks

Sunday, April 07, 2013 2:56 AM
  • What is "refuge APs"? Unauthorized?

This is complicated (as anything related to security), better get a professional wi-fi management tools such as Cisco's.

For cheap and dirty solution... just make a list of all allowed APs, then scan for any unknown BSSID. If any unknown BSSID has your SSID, it possibly is intruder. Configure your own APs using tools provided by the vendor (SNMP or whatever).

-- pa

Sunday, April 07, 2013 11:21 AM
  • thanks for your suggestion.

sorry my type error ,the correct is  "rogue" wireless access point detection

your solution is a a good solution ,but it need to compare BSSID,

so I would like to find rogue wireless if it is not encprtion.

I would like to  filter non encryption APs,I think get correct APs encrption type is needed.

I surf internet about one month.I didn't find the source code how to distinguish two different encryption type and have the same SSID.

Monday, April 08, 2013 6:58 AM
  • so I would like to find rogue wireless if it is not encprtion.

Then you need to inform intruders that they must not set a password on their APs, or they won't be catched :)

-- pa

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:16 PM