none
Microphone issues

Question

• Hi all,

I just installed windows vista ultimate 64 bit edition, and I cannot get my microphone to work. I am using a creative headset (HS 600), and I can hear sound from the headphones and from my regular speakers, but the microphone refuses to work. I have a creative x-fi, and the latest creative drivers installed. I tried configuring the microphone from the control panel also but windows is unable to detect any sound. I have used the same settings in the creative control panel as I did in XP. The headset is attached to the ports on the soundcard itself not on the 5.25 bay expansion. The microphone worked flawlessly under XP, and I am sure the cables are plugged in correctly as I did not change any hardware.

Thanks for any help!

Warm regards

Jamovich

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:41 PM

All replies

• I'm having the exact same problem, any help on this would be great.
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 3:47 PM
  • Update: I've been checking around, turns out our soundcards (X-Fi) don't have an amp that older cards have, without an amp the signal cannot reach the circuit therefore, no sound.

Creative can't help as it's a hardware issue rather than firmware, thus requiring an (expensive) mass recall. The general consensus is that you need to buy a audio USB converter (looks like a USB drive with an audio and mic jack in the end of it) which uses the computer's power supply to boost the signal.

Can't imagine they cost too much, I'm going to get one tomorrow.

Good luck.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:03 PM
  • That USB thing didn't work. Turns out the soundcard is only compatible with monaural microphones. Look at the plug for your microphone, if it has 2 rings around the metal then it's not monaural, you need to find a microphone with a single ring around the metal or you won't be able to use it.

Most stand-alone microphones are monaural (the ones that sit on your desk) but it's best to check first.
    Wednesday, July 04, 2007 6:28 PM
  • Very interesting post!

I've been looking for a solution, for that problem for quite a while, and this is the only forum (no, not even at creatives forums) i found at least a valid explanation.

Im curious why i'm not warned with a huge red sticker "does not work with 99% of microphones on the market". I can't believe what creative is doing...

I just hope noone buys their stuff ever again and a real competition shows up someday.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 5:19 AM
  • Hi guys

I said that it worked flawlessly under windows XP x64 in the initial post. The exact same headset, plugged into the exact same port! Hs-600 is definately compatible with the x-fi! I was using it under XP for 6 months! It does not work under Vista indicating a software problem

My question is if there is a workaround at the software level for this problem?

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 5:25 AM
  • The smaller cards really don't have an amp, you must have one of the more expensive models with a panel.

And Vista drivers don't have this option included (even if you have a chip that actually supports it).

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 7:03 AM
  • I've bought a stand-alone microphone, it works fine. I'm not using the mic jack at all, the microphone works through the USB port.

USB - mic jack converters don't work as they still use the soundcard.

Best to just give in, buy a USB mic (mines a logitech) and agree to never buy Creative again. Bastards.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 5:54 AM
  • Actually you are incorrect. Windows xp x64 did not have the option to support the panel either. Yes I do have the fatal1ty which is a high end version of the x-fi. I have plugged in the headset through the connectors on the rear of the card - not the panel. This worked flawlessly under win x64. I connect my external speakers on the jacks on the panel - they work flawlessly.
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 4:22 PM
  • I have been using a Griffin imic for at least a couple of years.  It's an exterior USB Sound card that came with a lapel MIC.  I only paid about $40.00 for it.  With an adapter (2.5-3.5) you can even transcribe from a cell phone.

A month ago I got a new laptop with a built-in mic and have the same problem.  It did not hear me well enough to successfully configure it.  For whatever it's worth, after I tried it on yahoo voice it was able to hear me but wasn't very efficient. A regular noise canceling headset was not much better.

Finally I pulled out the Griffn Imic and it is excellent. Contrary to what I've heard, Microsoft's speech recognition has come a long way.  This is by far the best combination I've used.  If I'm not dictating the built-in mic has gotten a bit better.............................................. but of course now I want go wireless!

Regards,

Ne1cy

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:29 PM
  • ive got hp dv2000 ive just upgraded to vista now my built in micro phone doesnt work at all what can i do? what software can i download? any help would b great thanks
    Monday, July 23, 2007 7:52 PM
  • Right Click the tray icon
    Click Recording Devices,

You should have all your recording devices within there, Select your Mic Port
    Right click and click Default
    Double click your mic, raise the levels.

I boost mine also.

And then try your MIC
    Worked fine for me.....you might require a reboot however.
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 2:41 PM
  • My microphone used to work fine on XP, but since installing vista it has stopped working.

In the recording devices part it says either (changes between the two) 'Not plugged in' or 'currently un-available'. When i go to the speakers Tab and check the input monitor box, i can hear myself speaking through the microphone - so i am confused, it obviously works, just seems vista doesnt like me!

anyone have the same problem/ any ideas?
    Friday, August 17, 2007 8:46 PM
  • i too have the same problem.....my laptop work for first 3 months properly & now started giving me problems....its mic is not working properly...first i thought that there is some problem with my microphones so i bought new one,then also same problem occured,so i checked my microphones by connecting with other computer its working properly....
     there is some problem in vista itself,,,,what to do.. the laptop too give very troubles.it works very slow.
      can any one help me out for this

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 1:33 AM
  • Me too, I'm using a Dell XPS M1710 on the windows vista business edition and my headset microphone worked fine for the first two weeks, but all of a sudden it doesn't work at all and I havent't changed any settings. Also, i noticed that when i used to plug my mic in, a box would pop up asking me what i wanted to use the device for, and i would select line in, but now that box does not even come up. Does anyone know why this is? Also when I plug the same mic into my desktop running on XP the mic works fine...
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 6:43 AM
  • I have just recently been able to fix the problem. It seems that it is the windows sound driver update that is causing the problem, you have to restore the old one. For the guys with Dells, i think the old driver should be on a disc you got with the computer

Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:46 AM
  • I have an Everex computer and I have the disc. Do you know if this would work for this type of computer? Please assist.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:21 PM
  • ya i just found out the same thing, as soon as i clicked "roll back driver", my mic started working. What i'm wondering is why this driver update (usually updates imporve performance and fix bugs) made microphones not work.
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:56 PM
  • as far as i know it should work Ricky Stereo

Sunday, September 16, 2007 9:21 PM
  • I have a friend running Windows Vista Home and is expericing microphone issues too. The usb mic works, but only after restarting the laptop everytime after plugging it in. Windows messenger will recognize it sporatically. Same microphone, no problems in XP. Tried both the logitech and microsoft lifecam both have issues. Anyone expericencing the same problem?
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:48 PM
  • I apologize, i just realized this is the wrong forum to post that question.. found this forum through a google search. Still looking for a fix though..
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:52 PM
  • Same issue here. I have both a HP DV2000 as stated above, and I can't get the onboard mic or an external mic connected via jack to wok. My desktop has and X-Fi Xtreme card in it and I can't get the mic to work on it either. Problem is I have an online speech due tonight and no way to get sound to the PC via mic. Isn't life grand?
    Monday, October 08, 2007 3:07 AM
  • Im haveing the SAME problem I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi  Fatal1ty an my mic doesnt work Ive tried everything . Either i get no sound in test mode in ventrilo to feed back in my headphones .WTH is the problem. Is it Vista or is it Creative .Some one please help.

Monday, October 15, 2007 4:12 AM
  • hi

The problem has been solved. You need to download the latest drivers from the creative site first (only those will work), then you need to set your microphone input as the default device (go to the speaker icon that is present on the start toolbar on the far right).

That will fix the problem and it will work (almost) flawlessly.

Have fun!

Monday, October 15, 2007 7:50 AM
  • I have the same problem. I have a headset, and it works fine once software is installed on my 2000 machine, but I cannot get the mic to work with Vista. Says no recoreder is attached? Same set works fine on my other 2000 machine. I hear sound, and can hear myself, but cannot record? Is this a vista issue? The software that came with it is xear 3d. Any help?

Friday, November 02, 2007 2:17 AM
  • i am having an issue with my mic, new laptop, vista home, mic is currently univalible, i seen where someone said bout rolling back driver, i can choose everything but roll back, wat else can i do???

Sunday, November 18, 2007 11:45 PM
  • Please help me my laptop is supposed to have a built in microphone i have done all sorts of things but it has never worked! it has recording stuff on the computer but when i talk no sound ever comes out. the other laptop downstairs is older laptop yet that built in microphone works help me!!!

Monday, January 28, 2008 8:56 PM
  • I have a similar issue- have the latest Dell Lattitude XT laptop (tablet). It's supposed to have an in-built mic, but the computer can't recognize it, apparently.
    Accessories--Sound Recorder-- tells me "There is no recording device attached". Any suggestions on how I enable the mic? Have a drivers CD, but shouldn't these drivers also be available online, either at Dell or at Microsoft? Can someone please point me in the right direction?
    Thanks
    Saturday, February 02, 2008 3:58 PM
  •  

HI all Vista Haters,Smile

I have had a Toshiba Laptop for about 8 months. My Logitec mic worked fine until a few weeks ago. I thought it was the headset. I tried another desk top mic I had. It also would not work. I could hear people over skype or messenger, but they could not hear me.

I tossed both the mics and went and bought a new LOGITECH headset. It did the same thing.

When I went to all the sound systems on the control panel, I could never get it to show up as working. I called Logitec customer service and we worked for 2 hours. Nothing worked. They said it was something internal.

I then took my pc to DATA DOCTORS and they again said that it is some problem with Vista.

My mic is muted,no matter what I do. I can hear others but they cannot hear me . PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not a techy, but I am fairly computer literate for an old ladySmile

Surely Microsoft has worked on this problem. I take bridge lessons online and need to be able to speak as well as hear., Please email me if you have any answers. annahayden2@yahoo.com

Friday, March 14, 2008 5:08 AM

• Hi all,

I have windows vista (32 bit operating system) inspiron 6400.From march 2007 the microphone was working fine.
    last month suddenly it stopped working.
    I talked with dell customer support. That guy told me to restore the factory setting.(????)

I did that and checked again,it was working fine after that .

But after some updates , again it is not working at all.........................................

Suggestions please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday, March 16, 2008 9:41 PM
  •  

Im having the SAME problem...Since I installed new version of IE I cant get my microphone to work on headphones....It worked fine before I think...I even plugged in head mic to my other computer and it wouldnt work either.   I keep getting a 80004005 code.  Whatever is the reason for problem?   Do you really think it is Creative Sound Blaster because I have that program too but the other mics worked before I changed IE I think....Now I cant even test voice without getting that code error.
    Monday, March 17, 2008 10:58 PM
  • Hello i saw your information about you having issues with Logitech Mic and Windows Vista.

my mic was working fine...but now its not...it doesnt reconize any recording devices.

I know the mic is working because you can talk into it and hear yourself threw the speakers?

So what did you do?>

How do i fix this issue?

Please email me back... at sweetnsexyntennessee@yahoo.com

Thanks

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 11:40 AM
  • Hi!
    as far as I know the ISSUE is NOT a problem of your laptop but a DELL issue. I got a the new Windows 7 from Microsoft and I can hear the microphone signal from the speakers, so I recomment all of you with a DELL XPS stop hearing the ____ from DELL and just get anoher version of the OS and it will work perfectly, but of course it still does not work, then you have a problem with your PC.

After I spoke with the XPS and they said wass impossible and I prove them, they just could not hide of the shame of be liers.

Good luck,
    RS
    Monday, June 01, 2009 12:31 AM
  • Hi thanks for all your info..I got Dragon software but the headset wont record..my DELL XPS m1210 says 'volume too low', should I use a built in mic?instead..or should I get a  monaural mic, or download from a site, or run my recovery cd, or change a default, I also have an external recording device with a usb cable..help...I am lost thanks yohablo03@hotmail.com
    Monday, July 06, 2009 5:12 PM