none
Can get IP from router, but cannot connect to Internet

Question

•  

I have installed Winows Vista Ultimate (32-bit) on an HP Pavilion a1610n with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 dual-core CPU.  2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD.

My wireless NIC is a Netgear wg311v3 PCI card, and my wireless router is a Netgear WPNT834 RangeMax 240 (802.11b/g). 

I am running DHCP and Shared WEP (128-bit) on the router.  I can connect to the router and get a dynamic IP address.  However, I cannot ping the router and I cannot ping the IP assigned to the NIC.  I can ping localhost (127.0.0.1). 

In Vista network settings, the WLAN shows up as "Unidentified Network", Access is "Local Only", and the network keeps switching to Public, even if I manually switch it to Private.

Obviously, I cannot surf the Internet since I can't even ping the NIC. 

Revision: After turning off Symantec Firewall and turning on Windows Firewall, I can ping the NIC, but still not the router.  I can ping the router from an XP PC on the WLAN and another PC (HP laptop) running Vista can connect to the Internet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

http://topsearchesnews.com

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 11:42 PM

All replies

•  

I have exactly the same problem with a brand new Vaio FE41E laptop and a BE broadband router.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:49 PM
  • So far, the only way to get around it has been to plug a wireless Ethernet bridge into the built-in wired Ethernet connection.

Apparently, the Netgear wg311v3 Vista drivers are in beta.  I also tried using a Linksys Wireless-G USB adapter, but got the same results.  The LS drivers are not supposed to be beta.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:48 PM
  • Thanks for that David.  What I can’t believe is that a problem this serious is hardly being reported at all.  Surely now-a-days a very high % of machines shipped are laptops, and the vast majority of these will want to connect to a WLAN and then get out to the internet.?  Since Vista was launched tens of thousands of laptops have been sold and tons more “upgraded” from XP.  So how did something so important get through beta testing, and why isn’t it being looked at by Microsoft urgently now?

My Dad isn’t a techy and I bought him the new VAIO with Vista so that he was future proof and (more importantly) so that it made his life as easy as possible.  Now the most basic of tasks that should happen automatically (and does in XP) doesn’t work and I will have to “teach” him how to fix his WLAN connection every time he boots up.

He has a standard laptop from a big manufacturer, standard build, standard config, standard WLAN.  I’m just gutted that this is happening.  All the doom-sayers said “wait for SP1 before buying” and I said “no it’s had years of beta with millions of users”.  Now I’m proved wrong within minutes of opening the box.

Finally …  Where do you think I should be looking in the future for an update to this ?  My WLAN card driver for the VAIO (Sony Support) or is this something we expect to be fixed by a general Windows Vista Patch.?

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 8:46 AM
  • In theory, updated drivers that are Microsoft-approved would be available via Windows Update. 

BTW, my PC is not a laptop, it's a desktop.  However, your issue is even more ridiculous than mine, as virtually all laptops are connecting via WLANs, and therefore should have been tested even more thoroughly.

What I find interesting is that MS supplies the Netgear drivers (with Vista) that Netgear says are in beta.

Thursday, March 01, 2007 3:47 PM
  • Well on a similar theme, Sony also ship the Laptop with G0 7400 and Vista.  Yet according to Nvidia's site (downloads) there are no Vista drivers for the Go Series.

I'm really really peeved off about this.  My Dad really shouldn't have to go through "fixing" his connection every time he turns his PC on.  I'll trying writing to Sony, but have a sinking feeling already.

Thursday, March 01, 2007 10:46 PM
  • I have a Vaio AR21M and I just upgrade to Vista, and I'm having the axact same problem.

I've tried one of the Windows Vista Beta versions and I found this problem, I can't understand how they didn't fix this?!?

Now I have a brand new laptop with a brand new operating system and a brand new Ethernet Cable!!! Uiiii!!

Unbelieveble...

If anyone find a solution for this please say something

Monday, March 05, 2007 5:44 PM
  • I've now had to teach my dad how to disconnent the WLAN and reconnect it virtually everytime he uses the laptop (which is usually a few times a day).

What's strangest of all is that sometimes it works; but the mojority of the time it doesn't.  There appears to be no reason behind when it decides to work.  I really hope that Sony / Microsoft fix this soon.

Also...  My Dad booted the Vaio a few days ago and got a Windows termination and memory dump.  Really didn't expect that from Vista.  Haven't seen such a crash in XP for years.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 8:57 AM
  • i had same problem i had to enable ssid broadcast on router and in wireless connection i had to remove preferred connection and let laptop find the wireless connection again and it gave me an ip
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 4:47 PM
  • i forgot to mention i removed the preferred wireless connection on my laptop and let the laptop find the connection again and then i had to re enter my wep key then i got an ip
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 5:16 PM
  • Disable your firewall. Try the ping again. Make sure the IP range is a private IP range that the Netgear issues.(192.168.) and the issued subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 If you still can't ping your own IP address then there is something wrong with the protocol stack for your NIC(not the router) Unistall the card and reinstall it-if necessary force a manual install. Make sure your ARP service is running and try the pings again. Disable IPV6 and try again if it still doesn't work. If all else fails there is the hammer!

Hope this helps.

Monday, March 19, 2007 10:27 PM
  • I had the same or similar problem.  I just upgraded to Windows Vista Business from XP Professional. I have a Linksys WMP54GS network adaptor card.  When I did an ipconfig /all there was a second default gateway showing up with 0.0.0.0.  When I looked at the ip settings more closelly under the adaptor, the settings showed 0.0.0.0 even though the ip was dynamically assigned.  So I changed it to static and back to dynamic and this seemed to  clear the bogus entry. wierd.  Sure enough, I was surfing the net almost right away after that...
    Monday, April 02, 2007 11:06 PM
  • In my case, I can use my wireless router with this (vaio) computer and winXP, but with a new computer (Fujitsu-siemens) and vista, vista will simply not accept the WEP 128 bit encription key, although it sees the network. It will connect to my home network through a lan cable, like, it seems everyone else, but even though the lan cable is connected to the router and the router is connected to the internet on all my other computers, vista refuses to see anything on the internet. -what a bag of worms. I assume that as this computer is for my grandson, that he will have to wait to buy another router and let another provider worry about the connection when he has a connection set up at his own house, but it would be nice to think that he could use it here on my connection.

Monday, May 21, 2007 12:27 PM
  •   

I'm trying to find the hardware to down load for the wireless g- wireless internet card, I have the adapter but lost the disk that goes with it is there anything online that i can download or am I screwed and have to buy a new adapter
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:18 AM
  • Mark try setting your gateway IP address in the vista machine. Make sure your subnet mask is correct. Ping the gateway address and make sure you have a response. Refresh your IP address if you're running DHCP. This lets the router know the computer is there by adding it to the NAT table if it's using NAT. Once you  can ping the IP gateway type an IP address of a common website like yahoo into your browser. If it works then try to type a URL into it to make sure name resoloution is working.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 2:23 PM
  • Almost all manufacturers have the software for their devices online. Just find their site and download it. With windows XP and beyond you don't need their software in most cases.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 2:27 PM
  • hey guys with regards to your wireless card issues for your laptops... dell has software that fixes that.. doesnt matter wat brand system your running it will fix it.. i have the intel 3450 wireless chipset on an hp dv9207us. i was running into the same problem until HP(surprisingly) referred me to Dell's wireless software. hope that helps ya... if i had the link i would post it but i lost it.
    Sunday, June 03, 2007 7:09 AM
  •  davidyoung98 wrote:

I have installed Winows Vista Ultimate (32-bit) on an HP Pavilion a1610n with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 dual-core CPU.  2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD.

My wireless NIC is a Netgear wg311v3 PCI card, and my wireless router is a Netgear WPNT834 RangeMax 240 (802.11b/g). 

I am running DHCP and Shared WEP (128-bit) on the router.  I can connect to the router and get a dynamic IP address.  However, I cannot ping the router and I cannot ping the IP assigned to the NIC.  I can ping localhost (127.0.0.1). 

In Vista network settings, the WLAN shows up as "Unidentified Network", Access is "Local Only", and the network keeps switching to Public, even if I manually switch it to Private.

Obviously, I cannot surf the Internet since I can't even ping the NIC. 

Revision: After turning off Symantec Firewall and turning on Windows Firewall, I can ping the NIC, but still not the router.  I can ping the router from an XP PC on the WLAN and another PC (HP laptop) running Vista can connect to the Internet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

http://topsearchesnews.com

[I have the same problem, well, I got a surprise present a Laptop(Acer) Vista Home basic,suddenly my internet got lost. can connet to the router ( speadstream) it says local only cannot surf
    Please help.,/quote]
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:54 AM
  • Hello,

I have had same problem vith vista home.

I connected to internet via Airlive wireless switc in repeater mode that i have bought in June 2008.

Laptop was new HP vith vista home preinstalled.

Solution:

Upgrade firmware for Airlive switch to new version that supports vista.

It was strange to me, becouse i tought that vista comunicate thru network on some standard protocols, but I tried and it helped.

Please send me mail if someone helped my solution.

email: tomislav . zagi (at) gmail . com

Now i have same problem but with LAN the switch is AirLive FSH16T+, i can't find new firmware or solution.

I fix it!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233

That's it!

• Proposed as answer by sag528 Saturday, November 26, 2011 6:51 AM
    Friday, November 28, 2008 9:13 AM
  • Well, after days of reading all the post from the "Microsoft Experts" and other online posts about the "local connection" wireless issue, I have found that Microsoft VISTA is another Microsoft nightmare….like all of us Techie’s didn’t already know this.  The issue with Vista and “Local Connection” wirelessly is or has to be one of the most embarrassments for Microsoft.  I have read so many posts by your “MCSE’s” that I’m friggin blind.  Funny thing, none of them worked.  You beat around the problem and then push it off to the router manufacture, not the fix by the way.  I am here to say that since NT I have never seen such a Cluster F$%K in my IT days.  No wonder you do not support it any longer, I wouldn’t either but being a small business man that I am, I have customers who can’t afford Windows 7.  This is how I see it…You guys release a OS that is practically based on NT on the backend and prettied up with nice GUI then when “STUFF” goes south you pull the plug on it after 2 years.  Do you realize how hard and the ramifications that you put on the small computer companies????  I don’t think you do and I don’t think you really care.  Oh…We screwed the pooch, lets pull it and not support it any longer….only a mega company as yourself could get away with this.  I used to be totally, “Anti-Microsoft” just because of your arrogance but you seemed to have calmed down but then came Vista and the embarrassment of the whole OS and you bail on the whole project, it must be nice to be able to screw the little guy, get away with it and still make billions of dollars.  If I keep going I just might get in trouble so…..

Steve A. Garrett
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:12 AM
  • Try the windows networking forum on technet. This web site is for helping people to write windows apps, not for Windows itself.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 2:23 PM