none
Incorrect side-by-side configuration message - trying to run Autocad 2013 after upgrade to Windows 8.1

Question

• Hello everyone

I have just updated to Windows 8.1 (32 bit) and when I try running Auticad 2013 I get this message: 

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013\acad.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

I dont really know what to do, what the "application event log" is or the "command-line sxstrace.exe". 

I will be very grateful for any help on this problem!

• Edited by Nora_ings Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:41 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:03 PM

Answers

• What you see is a setup program failed to ship files that Microsoft does not provide in Windows. This is not Microsoft's problem - it is a bug in the setup program. You need to ask the author of the program to test on and release a compatibility patch for Windows 8,1. Windows 8.1 Preview was released to prevent this exact problem - program fails after launch date due to no action from the author. 

A setup program doesn't really replace Microsoft's system files as those are under system file production, it prepares a machine by installing files that are not present on a Windows machine. The program's author decide what files to require (and what the required files may require etc) and whether to add a file to its setup program. It is the job of those setup programs to prepare a Windows 8.1 machine to a working state for their programs, not Microsoft.  

Again, this web site is for help in writing code. If your question's solution requires someone else (yes that includes Microsoft) to do some change on their software, you are on the wrong forum. Your best bet is to contact the author of the misbehaving program to troubleshoot the issue. Off-topic posts like this are usually quickly buried as nobody here (yes that includes Microsoft employees, you may see one here once every couple of months as this forum isn't really for Microsoft products) can actually act on the problem.  We don't have the source code (trade secret) of ACAD or Solidworks to see what file may be required by the program to work on the issue. 

Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:07 PM

All replies

• This web site is for help in writing software. I suggest you to contact Autodesk customer support as only Autodesk can fix this and release a patch.

The error message is for Autodesk support to troubleshoot the issue. If Autodesk needs programming help in releasing a version of ACAD that supports Windows 8.1 they can ask here.

Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:50 AM
  • It is does not seem to be a problem with AutoDesk as I am having exactly the same issue with Solidworkds.  Hence the problem being with the Microsoft update. 

Plus this problem has been experianced in Windows 7, with various different programs.
    • Edited by WoBon Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:04 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:04 PM
  • What you see is a setup program failed to ship files that Microsoft does not provide in Windows. This is not Microsoft's problem - it is a bug in the setup program. You need to ask the author of the program to test on and release a compatibility patch for Windows 8,1. Windows 8.1 Preview was released to prevent this exact problem - program fails after launch date due to no action from the author. 

A setup program doesn't really replace Microsoft's system files as those are under system file production, it prepares a machine by installing files that are not present on a Windows machine. The program's author decide what files to require (and what the required files may require etc) and whether to add a file to its setup program. It is the job of those setup programs to prepare a Windows 8.1 machine to a working state for their programs, not Microsoft.  

Again, this web site is for help in writing code. If your question's solution requires someone else (yes that includes Microsoft) to do some change on their software, you are on the wrong forum. Your best bet is to contact the author of the misbehaving program to troubleshoot the issue. Off-topic posts like this are usually quickly buried as nobody here (yes that includes Microsoft employees, you may see one here once every couple of months as this forum isn't really for Microsoft products) can actually act on the problem.  We don't have the source code (trade secret) of ACAD or Solidworks to see what file may be required by the program to work on the issue. 

Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:07 PM
  • This is definitely an issue on Autodesk's side either with their application manifests or with their setup generally.

That said, you can use the techniques in this blog article to pin-point the issue which may get more traction from Autodesk's support.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/junfeng/archive/2006/04/14/576314.aspx

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:58 PM
  • Apparently, there are issues with the distributable c plus plus libraries corrupting. I sustained the same error in applications by two different vendors, The side by side configuration errors seem to occur when launching 64 bit programs, but the corrupted library occurs in the 32 bit libraries, fortunately, the Ms control panel with give you the option to repair your libraries, which in fact return the libraries to their original state. Therefore, just repairing your c pluplus libraries in control panel is a user friendly solution, This is definitely not a problem originating with any vendor who happen to rely on the availability of Microsoft libraries in their development process. The response from Mr Jiang while helpful is a bit misleading.
    Saturday, November 23, 2013 11:40 AM