none
Folder selection bug

Question

• Hi,

I have my second hard drive mounted to "c:\documents and settings\myusername". It does not have a drive letter.

It appears in explorer, and in every other folder selection dialogue box I've ever seen. However for some reason it does not appear in the "folders to index" selection box.

A fix/workaround would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
    Saturday, February 03, 2007 3:38 PM

Answers

• Monitoring the USN change journal is new to WS 3.0. The benefit is that we can use the journal change log to determine file changes without rescanning the files on the drive, even if the search service is not running.

You might try the following "Windows Desktop Search: Add-in". It's really meant to index remote network locations, but if you give it the path to your reparse point, it should index the file under that location because it does not use the USN change journal, but will scan the directory on start up like WDS 2.x.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=F7E981D9-5A3B-4872-A07E-220761E27283&displaylang=en

Saturday, February 10, 2007 12:57 AM

All replies

• /me bumps

Sorry for bumping, but it would be nice to have this issue acknowledged, and (hopefully) fixed.

Thanks,

Tom
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 5:13 PM
  • We currently only index drives that are assigned drive letters. You can work around this by assigning a drive letter to this drive. You can keep your mountpoint but you need to have a letter assigned.
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 8:18 PM
  • Yeah I figured as much. I would rather not do that though as then my automated backup service will backup my mounted drive twice. (And it would mess up my existing drive letters, and its rather ugly, and it will confuse things like recent document lists etc. etc.)

I would imagine the fix would be pretty simple though, just swapping one system call for another...

Or is there some intrinsic reason why mounted drives have to be treated differently?

Thanks,

Tom
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 8:34 PM
  • We currently do not support NTFS Reparse Points in WDS. The technical reason behind this, is that we use the USN change journal to track file system changes, and in this case the file system changes are actually on another volume then the root of the drive "C:" drive. We have talked about this support internally and maybe something we add to the product in a future version.
    Friday, February 09, 2007 7:42 AM
  • Aha, that's more informative. I did some experiments with usn locally and indeed if I do:

fsutil usn readdata "a file on my mounted drive"

It returns a "usn" val of 0, whereas doing the same with files not on my mounted drive gives non-zero "usn" vals.

If I try to "queryjournal" the mounted drive I get "Access is denied", which I also get if I try to "createjournal" on it.

Best of luck with this, it looks like it's a USN bug rather than your one.

(Although that said, I'm pretty sure it used to work in the days when WDS was "lookout search"... I guess lookout must have used a different mechanism.)

Tom
    Friday, February 09, 2007 12:20 PM
  • Monitoring the USN change journal is new to WS 3.0. The benefit is that we can use the journal change log to determine file changes without rescanning the files on the drive, even if the search service is not running.

You might try the following "Windows Desktop Search: Add-in". It's really meant to index remote network locations, but if you give it the path to your reparse point, it should index the file under that location because it does not use the USN change journal, but will scan the directory on start up like WDS 2.x.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=F7E981D9-5A3B-4872-A07E-220761E27283&displaylang=en

Saturday, February 10, 2007 12:57 AM
  • Great thanks I'll give that a go.

Tom
    Saturday, February 10, 2007 1:31 AM