none
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Question

• I'm writing an app that uses IMAPIv2 - that board has been very helpful.  I'm hitting a problem now that seems more general in nature:

The app iterates through burning discs. The lower level burning code runs fine hooked up to a commandline test app - no obvious differences can be seen now that it is being called from an mfc front end.  Running from the debugger it does fine. Outside of the debugger (but the same binaries) - the following message box comes up after the first disc is successfully burned and then the app terminates.

"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Attaching to a debugger at that point does not reveal much.

Questions:

1. What does this message mean?  That the OS detected a hung app and is killing it?  A win32 exception was thrown? (no data shown) 

2. Why does it only appear outside of a (remote) debugger?  I experimented running the app as Administrator and in XP compatibility mode with no success.

I even ran a utility to view the debug messages while running outside the debugger, but I got no hints there.

Any ideas appreciated!

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 11:33 PM

All replies

• I also encountered same problem. In our application we are using IMAPI for burning cd.It is working fine on other systems well but on macbook pro, after cd is burnt  error  message box  comes  up  saying
    "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"
    This works fine with the debug build.
    Iam not able to find out the cause.

Is there any specific reason for this failure?
    Monday, September 10, 2007 6:28 AM
  • I am also facing this very problem BIG TIME.. please in case of having any idea please contact me ..

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 8:40 AM
  • Anyone know how to diagnose this problem? I can't find it in the error logs, I can't produce any error output through stderr

my.exe 2> error.log

I try a try/catch in my Form_Load, but it doesn't seem to ever get there. Is there any other way to figure out what's happening?

Monday, November 10, 2008 1:31 PM
  • This is a generic error message that you see when programs crash.  I'd suggest first taking a look in the event viewer to see if the crash record has any interesting data.  Failing that, I'd suggest using a debugger.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:56 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with a few of my programs.
    Health check, user guide...and then there's one that says ESAdvRemIntegrator
    Can anyone help me out!
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:52 PM
  •  

I have the same problem too.I tried following thinkgs but without success : 

Started the program under Windows 7 with Compatibility for Windows XP, but error message appears again.

Made "Turn off Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program" - Enable - but error message appears again.

Disabled Windows Error Reporting system - error message appears again.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:04 AM
  • I don't know if this applies but, I think I had a similar problem, where every time I opened various programs an error message came up from windows, 'a problem caused the program to stop working correctly, windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available' and the program would shut down. After a few days of pulling my hair out I remembered this had started after I had downloaded a hardware driver for my graphics tablet, I went into my control panel and deleted the driver, immediately after I deleted it the error messages stopped and the programs are opening and running fine now. It could be something simple like that, think about the last thing you did before the problem occurred?!

Hope this helps. 

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:46 AM
  • This solution of uninstalling graphic card drivers helped me and solved my problem
    Tuesday, February 07, 2012 9:20 AM