none
Failed to play test tone

Question

• When ever I try to play any sound, nothing happens.  When I go into the control panel and double click on the “sound” icon, it shows my speakers.  And when click on my sound device or speakers, and hit test, the message I get it "failed to play test tone".

Now for some background. 
    1. I had a different soundcard that was doing the same thing, but I thought maybe it just "went bad", so I bought a new one.  I’ve installed it with no problem.
    2. Yes, all the drivers are up to date.  I've run Windows update numerous times and I've double checked the driver version against the one on the manufactures website - they are the same.  Everything is up to date.
    3. The device manager can see my speakers/sound card and it says its working.
    4. I started out on another forum "Media foundation development - Re:Vista/No Sound/Failed to play test tone" and read the whole thread, did everything it told me to, and I even e-mail Microsoft to get a hotfix.  I installed the hotfix, to no avail.  Nothing has changed, my sound still does not work.
    5. The posters/answers at the above thread said they weren't really audio experts and were directing everyone to this thread.
    <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]-->

Please help.

Chris

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:07 AM

All replies

• I have had the exact same experience up to and including the purchase of a new sound card and absolutely no sound whatsoever.  This is a huge problem for me as my PC does some sound editing as well as provide access to classes on that net that require sound.  I'm completely frustrated.  I have done the same things Chris did above except go for the hotfix from Microsoft but I have scoured the net for sites liket his with any clue.  Sounds like a lot of us are having this problem. 

Truth is, my sound was working just fine for months... not a glitch, none of the lag that so many other users seem to be getting.  It worked just great.  Now, nothing....

I'm using an onboard ENVY 24 Family Audio with March 2007 drivers which I am told is the latest.....

Thanks!

Scott

Friday, September 21, 2007 6:21 PM
  • Hi there

Your not alone with this  ... I have the same problem with Vista Ultimate and Motherboard P4M890T-M.

I've searched many hours for a solotion but there seemes not to be one right now ?... I've reinstalled Vista two times already but the sound disapperas when receiving a Microsoft update called CAPICOM ?. I don't now if there is a hardware problem with this motherboard & Vista because others have no problem after the updates .

The only way to get the sound back is to load a restore point before the uppdate ?!??!

Please help if you have any clue 

Thanks

Dan

Friday, September 21, 2007 6:41 PM
  • The solution that worked for me without a restore, I didn't have any, or re-installing Vista is to restart the service called "Windows Audio". Just go to start>all programs>administrative tools>services and navigate to "windows audio. Then right click that and click restart. This is only temporary though.

Thursday, November 08, 2007 12:32 AM
  • i did the exact same thing, bought a brand new sound card for no reason.

found this solution in another forum, thanks garyd11:

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?postid=2848806&isthread=false&siteid=1&authhash=5b1783550cd1185d1983817bcf5c156c4a9e900b&ticks=633386174254718305&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=2

I had the exact same problem and here is the fix.  You're not going to believe it!

1 Go to control panel

2. Double-Click on the Sound Icon

3. Single-click the Speakers to highlight them

4. Click on Properties (bottom right corner)

5. Go to the Enhancements Tab and Click on it

6. Now click "Disable All Sound Effects"

7. Click OK and you should be good to go!

Good luck!

• Proposed as answer by Zach Knight Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:43 PM
    Friday, February 15, 2008 4:09 AM
  • Thank you so much, this has been driving me up the wall. good luck to those who didn't have luck with this solution.
    Monday, April 14, 2008 7:19 AM
  • This solution did not work for me. I have noticed that my sound works at the Log in screen. It is when I sign in that somehow my sound is stopped and won't come back on. Same for all log ons... Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 3:20 PM
  • Thanks for posting this solution...it helped me too!

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 7:04 PM
  • I want to let everyone know that I found my problem. I had Vipre Beta 7 installed. This antivirus program blocked the sound. The developers are working on the solution. If the program is shut down (or uninstalled), the sound returns.
    Wednesday, July 02, 2008 5:12 PM
  •  

I was watching videos on youtube, and as I went to play another video, the sound just stopped working. I tried to play a test sound, and the error message "Failed to play test tone" popped up. I've tried everything! I have an hp tx1000z laptop with Realtek audio manager.
    Thursday, July 03, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Thank you SO much! I did this and now have sound again. I can't believe it was such an easy fix !

thecraigmcrae wrote:
    i did the exact same thing, bought a brand new sound card for no reason.

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?postid=2848806&isthread=false&siteid=1&authhash=5b1783550cd1185d1983817bcf5c156c4a9e900b&ticks=633386174254718305&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=2

I had the exact same problem and here is the fix.  You're not going to believe it!

1 Go to control panel

Good luck!

Saturday, July 05, 2008 5:51 PM
  • Aargh, this cannot be! I was so hopeful after I read this and you know what, I don't see the speakers!!! I only have an icon for the soundcard itself, but it does not have the Enhancement Tab. Shouldn't everyone have the speakers??

Sunday, July 20, 2008 10:24 AM
  • I have a HP a1410n desktop, just upgraded to Windows 7.  Fought the Realtek drivers (uninstalled, reinstalled, etc.)  Finally clicked enhancement tabs on both Speakers and Realtek Digital Output, set digital output as default (what I use), and Disabled All Sound Effects.  It worked and I was able to play test tones and Sample Rates.  My audio codec is ALC 883.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 2:47 PM
  • The property key Deepak mentions is PKEY_Endpoint_Disable_SysFx.  This registry key is controlled by a checkbox in the Sound control panel:

Control Panel | Hardware and Sound | Sound | Speakers (or whatever the playback device's name is) | Enhancements | Disable all enhancements (check the box)

Audio drivers can provide their own UI for the Enhancements tab, but there is a logo requirement that there be a checkbox on the UI that disables all the enhancements.
    Matthew van Eerde
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:26 PM
  • Thanks sooo much thecraigmcrae.
    Thanks I just installed a software for school that included learn by ipod.
    Quicktime was installed and only the software would play sound.
    I uninstalled the software and quicktime no success.
    I uninstalled and updated windows media sound no success.
    I cried put some tears on it, no success then I came here.
    Found this 
    Go to control panel

Succes, I hope this works for others.
    What I don't understand is why I couldn't play with the configure tab.
    As Lawrence Welch would say..Thank you..Thank you...Thank you... 

Saturday, November 14, 2009 11:34 PM
  • I have tried all of these solutions but nothing has worked.

My initial problem was when I purchased a usb headset. I plugged it in to use it but the sound keep coming through my computer speakers. I when to the sound properties and disabled the speakers and the sound came through my headset. But then there was a big red x on my computer speakers. I enabled the speakers but now i have no sound. I have tried everything and nothing is working. Everything appears to be working fine but when I test the speakers i get the failed to play test tone message.

i've tried restarting the Windows audio
    I've tried the registry trick
    I've tried the disable all sound effects trick.

I still have no sound. What else can i do. I am very close to throwing this computer out the window, lol
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 1:51 PM

• Goto the following key in registry.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
      à SOFTWARE  à  Microsoft  à  Windows  à  
                                        CurrentVersion  à MMDevices  à Audio  à Render  à   
                                        {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx} à FxProperties

In the right hand side of the registry window change the value of {1da5d803-d492-4edd-8c23-e0c0ffee7f0e},5  
    (value type is REG_DWORD)
    to 1 (one) instead of 0 (zero).

INCASE YOU DON'T FIND THE ABOVE MENTIONED KEY UNDER fxproperties, PLEASE CREATE IT BY YOURSELF. (COPY & PASTE

{1da5d803-d492-4edd-8c23-e0c0ffee7f0e},5

TYPE IS REG_DWORD AND PUT VALUE 1

The audio start working at the moment you change the above value !!! (even before closing the registry editor).

Thanks & regards

Deepak & Kabeer.
    Doha-Qatar.
    Mob : +974-5838614 & +974-5492246

• Proposed as answer by Otouto Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:06 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2010 4:54 AM
  • Kami?  Did you fix your issue?  I think we are having close to the same problems?

My problems all hit me on sunday too :(
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:20 PM
  • No tony unfortunately not. I'm trying to get a job online which I need the speakers for. It's very frustrating. I'm not sure what to do. I hope we can find some solutions and fast!!!

Friday, January 22, 2010 9:10 AM
  • No tony unfortunately not. I'm trying to get a job online which I need the speakers for. It's very frustrating. I'm not sure what to do. I hope we can find some solutions and fast!!!

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7music/thread/f972665e-1569-419a-814e-331eb60364e3

No one has any idea?  Please, does begging help?  I have had a similar problem since 1/17/2010.  The above is my link.  "Failed to play test tone"

When I do a system restore to 1/10/2010 my computer initially works 100% fine.  However, windows request I reboot the computer to finish the restore/config/install.  As long as I postpone that reboot it works!  But, once I reboot nothing works.  If you need additional information please ask.  This might help multiple people,  I have a lot of info in my thread here.  This thread received 16,000 views.

(Kami or whoever else is having this issue).  This thread received 16,000 + hits so far.  Feel free to write me t_schwartz317@sbcglobal.net

Our issues seem similar while I know this possibly means nothing us somehow working together might get our windows working again.
    Thank you very much

• Edited by Tony Schwartz Monday, January 25, 2010 5:26 PM I forgot to thank everyone
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Ok, hello everyone who seems to having sound issues for the HP model a1410n. Lets go over a few basic issue troublesome tips for you on this model. First is BIOS> make sure in BIOS when your booting up that settings for BIOS is set on audio is not auto or disable> but enabled. Also when upgrading from the XP Media Center OS to > Vista (any) or Windows 7 (any) there a few BIOS flash updates you must run. I suggest backing up all your file before running a BIOS flash. Check the http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=1841799&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us
    select your OS type on current running. Find the latest driver for the realtek audio. Download to desktop or documents however you wish to do so.
    Before running this driver update completely uninstall any audio drivers of the system. Check to also make sure you don't have any other type pf audio drivers installed from like the example Nvidia GT Galaxy 220 has a build HDMI HD audio. Just uninstall the Realtek driver. Before rebooting> run your current windows updates to see if maybe a recent patch is provided for such issues. Then if not or so reboot. After rebooting and checking to make sure your BIOS settings for audio is set for Enabled. Login to windows and install the driver. If the driver came into a winzip file> go to> start>computer> : right click my computer: > go to properties> device manager> find the [!] device for audio and open properties of that device. Then run update this device from winzip location or check for updated installed driver. I have a HP a1410n > using windows 7 64 bit. No issues for the audio. I did have to install a driver from windows 7 and HP to use it for the audio on mine is a Nvidia HD enchanced audio. Also for those who are running a 64 bit using any version of Vista and windows 7> the away mode has not been patched fixed yet. BIOS power settings should be SQL4 so when in stand by doesn't cause full system black shutdown.

Yours truely,
    1 Net DAWG 
    TheDAWG
    Friday, January 29, 2010 11:48 PM
  • Hey tony  don't know if you tried re-installing your windows but I just did that yesterday and I have sound. Isn't that crazy how long has it been with no real answers. If you haven't already try that and see if it works. I hope you have or will find success. Thanks!!!
    Monday, February 01, 2010 10:16 AM
  • I had this same issue today, and found the most bizarre fix

however I will quickly go over the problem:

Vista, with latest updates and driver for everything, no audio at all, getting failed to play test tone in sound devices, windows media player brings up an error when playing any file.

Tried:

I've tried
    *  rebooting
    *  uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the sound card
    *  "disable all enhancements" in the sound control panel
    *  Registry fix: (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole\DefaultAccessPermission)
    *  Followed this: (http://www.consumingexperience.com/2009/04/failed-to-play-test-tone-no-sound-on.html)
    * KBKB930883 and some other KB cant remember the number
    My fix:

I decided that I was going to format and start again, so i went to my network and sharing center but found an error "network and sharing center server execution failed"

i figured this might have something to do with my problem so after i quick google i followed these steps

>>Right click "Computer"
    >>Click "Manage"
    >>Under the "System Tools" section, Double click "Local Users and Groups"
    >>Click "Groups"
    >>Right click "Administrators"
    >>Click "Add to group..."
    >>Click "Add"
    >>Click "Advanced"
    >>Click "Find Now"
    >>Double click "Local Service"
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>"NT Authority\Local Service" should show up in the list now
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>Close Computer Management and reboot.

After my reboot my audio works again as well at my network and sharing center.

Hope thing brings joy to someone else :)

Regards
    Robin Fleming
    • Proposed as answer by ketrout Wednesday, May 26, 2010 7:10 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 1:57 PM
  • There wasn't a "Local Users and Groups" under the "System Tools" section. So I wasn't able to proceed with your solution. But in my case the issue got resolved after disabling USER ACCOUNT CONTROL. What a very unusual case.

http://xps-resource.blogspot.com

Saturday, April 03, 2010 4:41 PM
  • Robin,

I want to say Thanks in a VERY BIG WAY! I found myself without sound after installing August 2009 updates. I have tried more ways that I want to count and until your solution gave me my sound back.

You truly have giving me joy, along with sound.

Again, my thanks to you and your great solution.

Below is the solution that worked for me, which came from Robin above.

i figured this might have something to do with my problem so after i quick Google i followed these steps

>>Right click "Computer"
    >>Click "Manage"
    >>Click "Groups"
    >>Click "Add"
    >>Click "Advanced"
    >>Click "Find Now"
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>Click "Ok"

Regards
    Robin Fleming

• Proposed as answer by ketrout Wednesday, May 26, 2010 7:13 PM
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 1:47 AM
  • this would have been great if only 7 home premium trusted me enough to make those changes. argh!
    • Proposed as answer by koralage Monday, August 01, 2011 1:17 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by koralage Monday, August 01, 2011 1:17 AM
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 3:45 AM
  • The above fix worked for me, too! If you are suffering the same audio problem, save yourselves hours of time and money on new cards, and just disable all the sound effects!

Thanks so much for the tips!

Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:01 PM
  • Glad to have helped even one or two people, this problem drove me mental for ages

Regards

Robin

Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:29 PM
  • hey, mine does the same-failed to play test tone-its really bugging me, i cant listen to music, cant go on utube, itunes, do a video call on msn with friends :( i need help i have a dell studio 1737 laptop running Windows Vista OS X-basically vista so HELPPPPPPP
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 5:13 PM
  • thank u very much...it's working..

:-)

Friday, June 18, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Which solution worked for you to solve the audio problem ?
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:55 AM
  • Deepak et al. - I'm a very technical guy and been struggling with this for three days now.   I knew it had to be permissions....the resolution that worked for me was adding the Local Service account to the Administrators group and then restarting the computer.   Nothing as sweet as hearing the start-up chime after making this change.   Thanks!

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Had to reply just to say thanks. This had bugged me ever since I installed Windows 7 and thanks to you it's finally fixed. ^_^
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:29 PM
  • hi you have the same computer i have i was wonder if you managed to get a BIOS update for your computer for windows vista 32 bit operating system oe Windows 7 home premium 32 bit operating system my BIOS Is version 3.11 if you did can you tell me how to get the update and where to download it from send email with that information to love1crier@yahoo.com thanks.
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 8:28 PM
  • OMG Thank YOU Robin. I had just spent the last 3 hours trying to work out why I had no sound. I'd tried everything, so glad I finally found your solution. Thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by quixotic1982 Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:17 AM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:17 AM

Vista, with latest updates and driver for everything, no audio at all, getting failed to play test tone in sound devices, windows media player brings up an error when playing any file.

Tried:

I've tried
    *  rebooting
    *  Registry fix: (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole\DefaultAccessPermission)
    *  Followed this: (http://www.consumingexperience.com/2009/04/failed-to-play-test-tone-no-sound-on.html)
    My fix:

I decided that I was going to format and start again, so i went to my network and sharing center but found an error "network and sharing center server execution failed"

i figured this might have something to do with my problem so after i quick google i followed these steps

>>Right click "Computer"
    >>Click "Manage"
    >>Click "Groups"
    >>Click "Add"
    >>Click "Advanced"
    >>Click "Find Now"
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>Click "Ok"

Regards
    Robin Fleming

You're a star Robin.. :D This worked for me on Win7 Ultimate 64 bit.. Thank you..
    • Proposed as answer by mfaizans Thursday, December 30, 2010 12:18 PM
    Saturday, December 25, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Hi Guys for me this solution worked it might work for others as well.

I went into Sounds in Control Panel and went to the Playback tab right click on Speakers and Disabled it and then Enabled it again and was working fine sounds were coming okay.

I know its not a permenant fix but avoids one tto reboot all the time and saves time to.

Hope it helps others as well.

Windows 7 Professional.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 12:17 PM
  • HI Thanks for the solution. It worked for me also. Went to speaker properties. Clicked the "Enhancements" tab and Checked the "Disable all enhancements" box.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 11:48 PM
  • After 2 days working to find solutions for this issue, finally found this forum & Robin's solution. It  worked!

Thanks Robin.

Alvin 

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:48 PM
  • i did this bt nothing happens plz help i hv d same problem (failed to play test tone files)..help

Friday, May 20, 2011 11:50 AM
  • i did this robin bt i hv still this problem ,,plz tell what to do now????plz help me....

Friday, May 20, 2011 11:52 AM
  • Robin,

Thanks a lot for your solution. I ran into this the other day after I messed around in the registry (Another long story :(). Tried everything else and finally found your solution. It worked on a Lenovo T410 Win7 x64. Thanks again. Saved me a system restore :)

• Proposed as answer by koralage Monday, August 01, 2011 1:22 AM
    Monday, August 01, 2011 1:21 AM
  • I have windows vista home. How do I add local service to administrator group.
    Monday, September 12, 2011 11:44 AM
  • you legend.

Worked  a charm.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Sad to say .... 4 years later the problem is still happenning.

I've tried the solutions above - and Robin's makes sense, but I can't figure out how to do it in Windows 7.

Microsoft doesn't allow us access to the basic stuff anymore.

Can someone who had success in Windows 7 post the sequence please?

Thanks

JB

Friday, February 17, 2012 6:01 PM
  • J_Bubba, can you give some detail on the problem you're experiencing?

Matthew van Eerde

Friday, February 17, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Hello Matthew -

my problem is pretty much exactly the same as those listed above...

I'm on W7, with a Soundblaster X-Fi card, and up until 2/15 everything was fine.  Then there was a windows update overnight, and when I logged in on the 16th, there was no audio on the computer.  All audio players returned error messages - even test tones wouldn't work. 

The soundcard was still fine in device manager - no conflicts - but the system would play no audio (and videos had a tremendous lag). 

I tried disabling/enabling, updating drivers etc etc...   I restored to the oldest point, which was 2/9, but the problem persists.  I backed out all the recent updates - but still no audio.

I would like to try Robin's solution above - but the network sharing and users/groups isn't accessible in W7.  (Boy do I miss windows 2k pro)

I was hoping that one of the users above who had success on Windows 7 would post the sequence.

Thanks,

JB

Friday, February 17, 2012 8:05 PM
  • Thanks for the detail.

What appears in the Sound control panel?

Matthew van Eerde

Friday, February 17, 2012 8:10 PM
  • Hello Matthew -

my problem is pretty much exactly the same as those listed above...

I'm on W7, with a Soundblaster X-Fi card, and up until 2/15 everything was fine.  Then there was a windows update overnight, and when I logged in on the 16th, there was no audio on the computer.  All audio players returned error messages - even test tones wouldn't work. 

The soundcard was still fine in device manager - no conflicts - but the system would play no audio (and videos had a tremendous lag). 

I tried disabling/enabling, updating drivers etc etc...   I restored to the oldest point, which was 2/9, but the problem persists.  I backed out all the recent updates - but still no audio.

I would like to try Robin's solution above - but the network sharing and users/groups isn't accessible in W7.  (Boy do I miss windows 2k pro)

I was hoping that one of the users above who had success on Windows 7 would post the sequence.

Thanks,

JB

THE SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME! 
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:40 PM
  • Issue with new HP 8560p. Without updates and programs sound worked correctly.

Suddenly after a few days only sound with headphone. No sound via Speaker. Maybe after updates from Windows or installation of software.

Solution was for me:

Control Panel, Sound, right mousebutton on 'Speakers/HP'
     Properties, tab Effects
     Enable: Disable System Effects

Directly after this i have sound without rebooting the laptop.

• Edited by danty222 Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:23 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:23 PM
  • thank u Robin!  u rock! have been trying for days to get sound...woohoo nothing like sound upon startup! :-)
    Sunday, April 01, 2012 12:49 PM
  • Robin,

I want to say Thanks in a VERY BIG WAY! I found myself without sound after installing August 2009 updates. I have tried more ways that I want to count and until your solution gave me my sound back.

You truly have giving me joy, along with sound.

Again, my thanks to you and your great solution.

Below is the solution that worked for me, which came from Robin above.

i figured this might have something to do with my problem so after i quick Google i followed these steps

>>Right click "Computer"
    >>Click "Manage"
    >>Click "Groups"
    >>Click "Add"
    >>Click "Advanced"
    >>Click "Find Now"
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>Click "Ok"

Regards
    Robin Fleming

THANKS A LOT ROBIN!!!!!

I was spending my last 3 days to solve "failed to play sound" issue. On my desktop volume icons were active but i couldnt get any system sounds. After this workaround i was able to get all sounds from my OS. Thanks a lot guys but does anyone have an idea about why adding local service to computer administrators was able to solve the problem??

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:42 PM
  • i did the exact same thing, bought a brand new sound card for no reason.

1 Go to control panel

Good luck!

i looked every were they had me going in services thanx so much i can believe it was that simple

Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:49 AM
  • Robin,

I tried this fix along with the same troubleshooting as you and it worked! Thank you!

Do you have any idea why your fix worked?

My techs are reporting that the sound works before said machine is put on the domain, once added, the sound doesn't work. This issue isn't on every image we are running, but a specific Vista 32-bit SP2 image. The network is closed so updates are locally administered. Once the local group policy is re-applied, Local Service is then removed from the Administrators group, but the audio still works.

Normally I would just tell my people not to worry about how I fixed it because it now works, but this is a secure network, so I have to give them something.

Any further input you could offer is greatly appreciated.

V/r,

Luke

Friday, July 13, 2012 12:38 PM
  • this would have been great if only 7 home premium trusted me enough to make those changes. argh!

Neither thecraigmcrae's nor Robin's suggestions worked for me, but I thought I'd post instructions on how to add a user to the Administrators group for anyone with a Home version of Windows (as Local Users and Groups is not available).

Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories and right click Command Prompt.  Select "Run as administrator".  The command prompt will open.

Type in net localgroup administrators and hit Enter.  This will show you the users in the Administrators group.

Type in net localgroup administrators localservice /add and hit Enter.  This will add the NT Authority\Local Service user to the Administrators group.  To check, type in net localgroup administrators again.

• Proposed as answer by DonGateley Monday, March 04, 2013 6:06 AM
    Wednesday, August 08, 2012 3:43 PM
  • After 2 days of suffering no sound, I found your fix.

Thanks a million.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:54 PM
  • thankyou so much, this is the only thing that has worked for me and i have spents hours and hours and hours to fix the problem. thankyou
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:50 AM
  • First i disabled the speakers.

Then I clicked on the sound icon on the taskbar to start the sound diagonostic.

However I got the "Failed to play test tone" message again.

Then in the advanced tab of the speaker headphon properties dialog box I selected a different default format to test.

And then the problem was solved.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 4:42 AM
  • Thanks, this works for me... and was pretty easy without making the tedious restore hehe, Thanks again!

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:54 PM
  • Before I could see an "Enhancements" tab in the speakers' properties, I had to roll back the driver (it had a 7/2012 date) which I did by selecting "Properties" from the "General" tab on the speakers' properties - "Controller Information" "Properties" - then selecting the "Driver" tab and choosing "Roll Back Driver". It required a re-boot. Then I could find the "Enhancements" tab mentioned.
    Monday, November 19, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Would all the people thanking someone for a solution please either quote the solution or state who it is they are thanking.  Otherwise the gratitude has absolutely no informational value to anyone.  I suppose after people hit reply to offer someone thanks they don't come back to see that it goes to the bottom with no clue as to whose solution it is.  This damn forum should be fixed so that doesn't happen (sub-threads aren't new or challenging technology) because it is a ubiquitous problem in virtually every thread.  But this is MS, after all.  Heavy sigh.

Among those that did receive actual attribution the most popular solution seems to be Robin's.  Anybody know how to effect that solution if you have Home Premium which has no "Local Users and Groups"?

>>Right click "Computer"
    >>Click "Manage"

Dead end.

Monday, March 04, 2013 5:41 AM

Neither thecraigmcrae's nor Robin's suggestions worked for me, but I thought I'd post instructions on how to add a user to the Administrators group for anyone with a Home version of Windows (as Local Users and Groups is not available).

Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories and right click Command Prompt.  Select "Run as administrator".  The command prompt will open.

Type in net localgroup administrators and hit Enter.  This will show you the users in the Administrators group.

Type in net localgroup administrators localservice /add and hit Enter.  This will add the NT Authority\Local Service user to the Administrators group.  To check, type in net localgroup administrators again.

Thanks, asterismW.  This fixed it for me on Windows 7 Home Premium.  I sure wish I knew what suddenly made this necessasary.  Had me in a bit of a panic since this system is an audio workstation with gobs of unusual devices and software on board. 

FWIW, just prior I had installed Splashtop Streamer and accessed the system from my iPod Touch.  Uninstalling it didn't fix the problem and I can't blame Splashtop with certainty, but...

• Proposed as answer by Ferris Adhi Monday, March 11, 2013 7:22 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ferris Adhi Monday, March 11, 2013 7:22 PM
    Monday, March 04, 2013 6:16 AM

Tried:

I've tried
    *  rebooting
    My fix:

>>Right click "Computer"
    >>Click "Manage"
    >>Click "Groups"
    >>Click "Add"
    >>Click "Advanced"
    >>Click "Find Now"
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>Click "Ok"

Regards
    Robin Fleming

Hi there, I have a problem with my sound system. I use a TOSHIBA Laptop. Do not know exactly what type it is but it has Windows 7.

My main problem is that I cannot play any sound (Failed to play test tone). I've tried almost everything that's written here. But no luck.
    I've tried Robin's, but I had a problem in it. I couldn't find "Local Users and Groups" titled under the System Tools. I have tried the adding a local service which was mentioned before by asterismW, by adding a local service manually -->

"Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories and right click Command Prompt.  Select "Run as administrator".  The command prompt will open.

Type in net localgroup administrators localservice /add and hit Enter.  This will add the NT Authority\Local Service user to the Administrators group.  To check, type in net localgroup administrators again."

When I did that, the command prompt said it was successful, and I checked with typing "net localgroup administrators" and it does show another administrator called local service. But, when I tried Robin's, there were still no "Local Users and Groups" titled under the System Tools.

The cause of my laptop sound failing to work was because I was listening to music, specifically on Youtube, and I wanted a better sound so I clicked the sound icon on the bottom right corner, and clicked Mixer, then the speaker icon right above the title Speaker, and at the Enhancements I checked Bass Boost, Virtual Sound, and Loudness Equalization. I wasn't aware of what they would do if I checked them so I just decided to try and I clicked Apply. Then the real problem started. It was loading, and I waited, then I noticed it's taking pretty long, it said "(Not Responding)", then I waited for about a half an hour, took a look at it and it was still loading.  At that time, I had to go because I was in my office and I had to go home. So I decided to shut it down because I had to put it in the laptop case, and when all the programs are closing, the system showed me that there was one application waiting to be closed before it can shut down, it was the "Turning Off Sound.exe". I couldn't quite recall what it exactly said but I was sure the last program that needed to be closed was the turning off sound, and it had .exe on it. Then I waited for about 15 minutes and it hadn't shut off. I was impatient, so I held the power button to turn it off (Hard/Forced Shut Down) so I can put it in the case, and figured I'll deal with it at home. Then when I got home, turned it on and I knew windows would tell me whether to Start Windows Normally, or Start with Safe Mode. I chose Start Windows Normally. Then, I noticed something odd, when I entered my user account (there's only mine and a Guest), it didn't make a sound like it would usually do. Then I started to check the volume, wasn't muted, tried to maximize the volume, didn't make any sound. Then I tried testing it with the speaker properties, and it said Failed To Play Test Tone.

Now I don't know what to do, I don't wanna try restoring my laptop yet, maybe there are some of you who can help me with this problem. If there are details about this problem that you might want to know, please ask and I'll help you as I can.

Thank you.
    Sincerely,
    Ferris.

Monday, March 11, 2013 7:22 PM
  • Thanks man! I was about to go to the IT help center. Saved me a lot of trouble
    Friday, June 21, 2013 8:24 PM

Tried:

I've tried
    *  rebooting
    My fix:

>>Right click "Computer"
    >>Click "Manage"
    >>Click "Groups"
    >>Click "Add"
    >>Click "Advanced"
    >>Click "Find Now"
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>Click "Ok"

Regards
    Robin Fleming

Hi there, I have a problem with my sound system. I use a TOSHIBA Laptop. Do not know exactly what type it is but it has Windows 7.

My main problem is that I cannot play any sound (Failed to play test tone). I've tried almost everything that's written here. But no luck.
    I've tried Robin's, but I had a problem in it. I couldn't find "Local Users and Groups" titled under the System Tools. I have tried the adding a local service which was mentioned before by asterismW, by adding a local service manually -->

"Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories and right click Command Prompt.  Select "Run as administrator".  The command prompt will open.

Type in net localgroup administrators localservice /add and hit Enter.  This will add the NT Authority\Local Service user to the Administrators group.  To check, type in net localgroup administrators again."

When I did that, the command prompt said it was successful, and I checked with typing "net localgroup administrators" and it does show another administrator called local service. But, when I tried Robin's, there were still no "Local Users and Groups" titled under the System Tools.

The cause of my laptop sound failing to work was because I was listening to music, specifically on Youtube, and I wanted a better sound so I clicked the sound icon on the bottom right corner, and clicked Mixer, then the speaker icon right above the title Speaker, and at the Enhancements I checked Bass Boost, Virtual Sound, and Loudness Equalization. I wasn't aware of what they would do if I checked them so I just decided to try and I clicked Apply. Then the real problem started. It was loading, and I waited, then I noticed it's taking pretty long, it said "(Not Responding)", then I waited for about a half an hour, took a look at it and it was still loading.  At that time, I had to go because I was in my office and I had to go home. So I decided to shut it down because I had to put it in the laptop case, and when all the programs are closing, the system showed me that there was one application waiting to be closed before it can shut down, it was the "Turning Off Sound.exe". I couldn't quite recall what it exactly said but I was sure the last program that needed to be closed was the turning off sound, and it had .exe on it. Then I waited for about 15 minutes and it hadn't shut off. I was impatient, so I held the power button to turn it off (Hard/Forced Shut Down) so I can put it in the case, and figured I'll deal with it at home. Then when I got home, turned it on and I knew windows would tell me whether to Start Windows Normally, or Start with Safe Mode. I chose Start Windows Normally. Then, I noticed something odd, when I entered my user account (there's only mine and a Guest), it didn't make a sound like it would usually do. Then I started to check the volume, wasn't muted, tried to maximize the volume, didn't make any sound. Then I tried testing it with the speaker properties, and it said Failed To Play Test Tone.

Now I don't know what to do, I don't wanna try restoring my laptop yet, maybe there are some of you who can help me with this problem. If there are details about this problem that you might want to know, please ask and I'll help you as I can.

Thank you.
    Sincerely,
    Ferris.

Ferris, I hope you managed to figure this issue out already, but if not, and for those who have tried some of the above steps with no success, I will let you know what I did to fix the problem (I am running Windows 7 Ultimate):

For background, I had (within the last few days) been using my HDTV as my main display via HDMI out from my laptop. I remember changing a few settings, but nothing major. When I unplugged the HDMI and returned to just wanting to use my laptop speakers, they actually were working for a little while, but then as I was changing them back to default playback, the audio program froze and upon reboot, no sound or response of any kind from my laptop speakers although they seemingly should have been working.

I finally opened Control Panel, chose Hardware and Sound, and then clicked on Device Manager. I scrolled down to Sound, Video and Game Controllers, and chose to completely uninstall the audio driver that was supposedly "working properly". I was a bit afraid of it being gone forever, but do not fear as I did! Windows automatically re-discovered my audio as a new hardware device, installed it for me, and BAM! Problem solved!

I hope this helps!

• Proposed as answer by kmcmillan89 Monday, July 01, 2013 3:52 AM
    • Edited by kmcmillan89 Monday, July 01, 2013 3:54 AM Added Windows OS
    Monday, July 01, 2013 3:51 AM
  • Thanks so much for the net localgroup solution; fixed my problem with a brand new ExtremeMac usb soundbar.  Plugged it into Win7, worked automatically.  Win8, the issue everyone is running into here.  The solution here fixed it.

No wonder OS revenue is down 85% since Win8 came out....

Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:06 AM
  • It is now 2013 and this is still happening, after trying everything listed here I looked at what updates and programmes had been installed between having and not having sound and the the only one was Microsoft Silverlight. I un-installed it and bingo I have sound!!!

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:24 PM
  • Thanks!! This helped me to play my audio again. Its fine for now not sure if it wil get disabled again. Need to check for permanent fix.

Mano

Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:28 PM
  • You saved I've been trying to make it work for sooo long

Thank you sooo much!!

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:06 AM
  • Disabling Anti Virus AVG Security helped... !
    Sunday, January 19, 2014 2:34 PM
  • I have had this same issue years after this original post - 2014.. I tried restarting the windows audio and windows audio endpoint as suggested, I tried going to computer management however there was no option for local user and groups (windows 7). I tried going into command prompt to do it that way; which worked in getting NTAuthority in but again, it did not bring my sound back. I tried disabling enhancements in both windows audio and the actual audio program installed on this laptop. All to no avail. I did not delete current drivers. I did not roll back. I rebooted my system numerous times only. Oh, and I followed someones suggestion to delete Microsoft Silverlight - which again, did not work. Finally I went to the realtek website and downloaded the audio drivers direct from there over the top of current profiles. It was this that resolved the issue for me. 

--- enhancement disabling did not work

--- computer management NT authority did not work

---- removing programs using sound did not work

--- rebooting system did not work

--- installing audio drivers direct from the site over the top of current installations worked. 

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 3:28 AM
  • I created an account for this just to say THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! I'VE TRIED EVERY SINGLE THING THAT IS POSSIBLE AND NOTHING WORKED EXCEPT FOR THIS ONE. 

THANK YOU SOO SOO MUCH. 

I  just hope that it won't disturb anything else :|

Friday, February 14, 2014 6:56 AM
  • it did not work

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 12:58 PM
  • iv got the same problem , i got no sound

i need some help

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 1:17 PM
  • this one worked for me!  except mine read "disable system effects" versus "disable all sound effects"...  i had tried just about everything else.

thanks!

o'g

Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:50 PM
  • Not sure if this is resolved or not but I thought I would post what I did to resolve this issue on my computer. I tried everything suggested in comments that were posted before this post. Following is what worked for me:

On Windows 7 system

1- Determine date when computer first exhibited the symptoms.

2- Open the application wizard from control panel (add/remove programs)

3- In application wizard, click on view installed updates on the upper left.

4- Scroll down to the "Microsoft Windows" category.

5- Find all updates installed on the date you first experienced the symptoms and uninstall them.

-NOTE: If not many updates, I would uninstall one by one, reboot after each uninstalled update and test to find the faulty update.

6- Reboot your system.

I hope this helps anyone.

Cheers,

Precifijo

• Edited by Precifijo Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:03 PM
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:00 PM

Tried:

I've tried
    *  rebooting
    My fix:

>>Right click "Computer"
    >>Click "Manage"
    >>Click "Groups"
    >>Click "Add"
    >>Click "Advanced"
    >>Click "Find Now"
    >>Click "Ok"
    >>Click "Ok"

Regards
    Robin Fleming

Thank you.
    Sincerely,
    Ferris.

Ferris, I hope you managed to figure this issue out already, but if not, and for those who have tried some of the above steps with no success, I will let you know what I did to fix the problem (I am running Windows 7 Ultimate):

For background, I had (within the last few days) been using my HDTV as my main display via HDMI out from my laptop. I remember changing a few settings, but nothing major. When I unplugged the HDMI and returned to just wanting to use my laptop speakers, they actually were working for a little while, but then as I was changing them back to default playback, the audio program froze and upon reboot, no sound or response of any kind from my laptop speakers although they seemingly should have been working.

I finally opened Control Panel, chose Hardware and Sound, and then clicked on Device Manager. I scrolled down to Sound, Video and Game Controllers, and chose to completely uninstall the audio driver that was supposedly "working properly". I was a bit afraid of it being gone forever, but do not fear as I did! Windows automatically re-discovered my audio as a new hardware device, installed it for me, and BAM! Problem solved!

I hope this helps!

After multiple days of searching, this solution worked.  In retrospect, and obvious answer, but I must say, I certainly didn't think of it! Thanks kmcmillan89.
    • Edited by dmast Saturday, March 29, 2014 5:54 PM
    Saturday, March 29, 2014 5:53 PM
  • So I have virtually tried EVERY SINGLE THING on this thread yet I have no sound.. I have an Alienware M17xR2 which I purchased in 2009. 

I've tried
    *  rebooting
    *  uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the sound card
    *  "disable all enhancements" in the sound control panel
    *  Registry fix: (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole\DefaultAccessPermission)
    *  Followed this: (http://www.consumingexperience.com/2009/04/failed-to-play-test-tone-no-sound-on.html)

and 

"I finally opened Control Panel, chose Hardware and Sound, and then clicked on Device Manager. I scrolled down to Sound, Video and Game Controllers, and chose to completely uninstall the audio driver that was supposedly "working properly". I was a bit afraid of it being gone forever, but do not fear as I did! Windows automatically re-discovered my audio as a new hardware device, installed it for me, and BAM! Problem solved!"

Also I went ahead and bought an external USB sound card. Still Windows 7 Ultimate says that "Failed to play test tone".
    It says that the drivers seem to be working properly but obviously I'm getting no sound here.
    also my wifi bars do not appear any more. it is replaced by an Ethernet icon ( http://i.imgur.com/IwwgSHs.jpg )with a red cross over it.. but I am connected to the internet.
    when I double click on the mentioned icon, it takes forever to take me to this screen: http://i.imgur.com/cX66iUy.jpg 
    troubleshooting did not uncover anything
    here is my computer specs: http://i.imgur.com/Iql1Xd1.jpg
    also my CD-ROM does not work so I cannot re-install windows
    I have tried restoring windows to a previous point but the restore points are corrupted 
    I am running an up-to date version on Kaspersky 2013 Internet security
    I have also tried uninstalling Microsoft Silverlight
    I have tried disabling sound enhancements
    so is there any hope left? 
    • Edited by mallard513 Thursday, April 03, 2014 11:05 PM
    Thursday, April 03, 2014 11:04 PM
  • Thanks for the solution.....It worked for me....Can you help to know why this problem occurred....I had updated my window 7 last night and after that the audio stopped working....I did the system restore but it didn't worked also so I started to uninstall the updates but when applied ur solution it work....
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 6:24 PM
  • The one solution that worked for me is this

Solution:
    Start > Run > Type "cmd" Enter> Type "sfc/scannow" Enter

Friday, June 06, 2014 8:22 PM
  • THANKS SO MUCH! this has been driving me super crazy for the longest.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 11:14 AM
  • I tried all of the above. Nothing worked. Once I ran the scan my sound returned. Thank you very much!
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:42 PM