none
Help me get gadgets back!

Question

• Okay this may sound like a really dumb question, but I just started using Vista over the weekend, and think I turned Gadgets off without wanting to.  How do I turn it back on?  I can't find it in the start menu's program listing!
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:01 AM

Answers

• Dear Kitters,

Go to your Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization section > Windows Sidebar properties. You will see a checkbox "Start Sidebar when Windows starts". Click on it > Apply.

HTH,

Suprotim Agarwal

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:10 AM

All replies

• Dear Kitters,

Go to your Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization section > Windows Sidebar properties. You will see a checkbox "Start Sidebar when Windows starts". Click on it > Apply.

HTH,

Suprotim Agarwal

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:10 AM
  • If you mean you exited Windows Sidebar, you can restart it by finding "Windows Sidebar" in the Start menu (searching for "side" in the Start menu search bar should find it quickly).

You may not have actually exited Sidebar, though.  If you right-clicked on the Sidebar and chose "Close Sidebar", that minimizes Sidebar to the system tray.  Look for an icon that looks like a little PC with yellow, green, and red boxes on the right-hand side (you may have to expand the tray area if that icon is hidden).  If it's there, Sidebar is still running but hidden.  You can bring it back up from that icon.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:11 AM
  •  

Actually not a dumb question at all... previous answers were perfect.

Microsoft needs to work on this and make the management of the gadget bar alot more intuitive. Wasted 15 minutes searching myself Wink

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:33 AM
  • I think the 'help and support' in vista does answer all these questions. Just need to know where to look Smile

HTH,
    Suprotim Agarwal

-----
    http://www.dotnetcurry.com
    -----

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:59 AM
  • I was unaware Vista has such a sidebar and was running into compatability problems when I installed my Google desktop sidebar w/ widgets.  My graphics card was literally shutting itself down due to the conflict.  When I did find out about the Window Sidebar, I found I liked that one better than the Google sidebar slightly.  It's cleaner looking and I have zero problems with it now that I have uninstalled Google desktop from my system.

Two thumbs up on the Windows Sidebar, I just wish there were more default gadgets to use directly from MS.  Maybe it's just the version I have that it's so limited, either way I love it!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 3:55 PM
  • Hi Xfaqtor.

There are lots of gadgets available on Windows Live Gallery:

http://gallery.live.com/default.aspx?pl=1

Have you had a chance to look through those?

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:11 PM
  • Chris,

I haven't looked through them yet but thank you for pointing me in their direction.  I try not to overload on all the wonderful gadgets but I will definately take a look to see what I could use and be helpful.  Again, I feel MSFT did a great job on the design of the sidebar and keeping it clean looking and very user friendly.

Thank again,

Xfaqtor

Thursday, September 20, 2007 5:24 PM