none
Search doesn't work.

Question

• When I search for a file or folder, it will search for all of 2 seconds then say that there are no results. I even tryed searching for My Documents and nothing came up. What should I do?
    Friday, May 19, 2006 5:22 PM

Answers

• Hello Andriy,

I believe the problem you are experiencing is with Windows Search Companion - not Windows Desktop Search (WDS).  Search Companion is a standard feature of windows, while Desktop Search is an add-in feature that works quite differently.

This forum is intended specifically for WDS questions, but I'll try to lend a little advice.  I'm not an expert in Search Companion, but I will say that you may want to make sure that the folder or drive that is selected in the "Look in" section of Search Companion contains the files you are looking for.  You might have the best luck if you select the local hard drive that the bulk of your files are on (Local Hard Drive (C:) for most people). 

If you need more assitance you might look in this location:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/find_overview.mspx?mfr=true

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hi GiantSonic,

Here are some things that may help:

1.      Did you recently install Desktop Search?  If so, WDS may not have finished building the search index yet (this can take a few hours).  This is especially true if you’ve been using your computer quite a bit since you installed the product.  You can check on the status of your index by right clicking on the WDS icon (magnifying glass) in the system tray and selecting “Indexing Status.”  This will bring up a window that will display the total number of items indexed, the items left to scan, and tell you whether indexing is running.  If you see the message “Indexing is paused while you use your computer” you can press the “Index Now” button or simply leave your computer alone for a while to let the indexing process start.  Once you see the status message “Indexing complete” you should be able to search for files and folders on your PC.

2.      If indexing has completed, make sure there is a positive number in the “Items indexed so far” section.  If no items have been indexed let me know and we can proceed down that path.  If items have been indexed try searching with some generic terms like your first name or even words like “from” or “where.”  If you’re not getting results let me know.  If you are getting results it could be that you need to adjust your indexing options.

Let me know what you find out and I’ll see what I can do to get you up and running.

Paul Nystrom - MSFT

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:25 PM
  • I have the same issue. Seems to me this problem has started after I uninstall Google Search. The strange part is that the only option, which doesn't work, is the "All files and folders". Whatever I search for, the result will include files from the current folder, nothing else. However, search for "Pictures, music, or video", as well as search for "Documents", works just fine. Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Andriy.
    Monday, May 22, 2006 10:31 PM
  • Hello Andriy,

I believe the problem you are experiencing is with Windows Search Companion - not Windows Desktop Search (WDS).  Search Companion is a standard feature of windows, while Desktop Search is an add-in feature that works quite differently.

This forum is intended specifically for WDS questions, but I'll try to lend a little advice.  I'm not an expert in Search Companion, but I will say that you may want to make sure that the folder or drive that is selected in the "Look in" section of Search Companion contains the files you are looking for.  You might have the best luck if you select the local hard drive that the bulk of your files are on (Local Hard Drive (C:) for most people). 

If you need more assitance you might look in this location:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/find_overview.mspx?mfr=true

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:48 PM
  • No, I haven't installed WDS but no matter what I search for, whether its files or folders or music, it never turns up any results. I looked at the link and couldn't find anything about it.
    Saturday, May 27, 2006 3:44 AM
  • I am having the same issue with Desktop Search 3.0. The index building is complete and it cannot find things, particularly in my email. I have rebuilt the index from scratch several times. I have indicated to index the content as well. I can look at an email in Outlook with eBay in the subject, but when I search on eBay in the desktop searcher it finds nothing.

I have identical results on two machines. On one I am running XP Pro SP2 with Office 2003. On the other I am on XP Home, running Office 2007.

I am attempting to upgrade from Lookout. Any suggestions.

Saturday, November 04, 2006 5:56 PM