none
Can't connect SmartTee to Video Renderer

Question

• I have a graph:

1. Async File Reader
    2. Demux
    3. Decoder
    4. VMR-9

which works just fine.  I want to add a Smart Tee between the Decoder and the Video Renderer in order to be able to preview the video with a Video Renderer and continue processing the video with the capture pin.

However, when I insert the Smart Tee in Graph Edit I am not able to render either of the Capture or Preview pins on the Smart Tee.

My steps are:

1. Insert Smart Tee filter
    2. Connect output from decoder to input of smart tee
    3. Right click on either (capture or preview) output pins of the smart tee and select Render (using GraphEditPlus)

I get an error message: 0x80004002: No such interface supported

If I try to connect the Smart Tee output pin directly to a VMR input, I get the following error: 0x80040217: No combination of intermediate filters could be found to make the connection.

I receive the same errors if I use the Infinite Tee filter.

I read the forum posts that suggest to use a Color Converter, so I tried inserting one between the Decoder and the Smart Tee and I get the 0x80040217 error when connecting the output pin from the Decoder to the Input pin of the color converter.  I also receive the same error if I try to place the Color Converter downstream from the Smart Tee.

This led me to investigate the Decoder.  I made the assumption that since I'm able to connect the Decoder to VMR9, that everything is ok.  However, GrapheditPlus has a feature to show the compatible filters with a pin.  The filters compatible with the output pin of the decoder are:

• WMVideo8 Encoder DMO
    • WMVideo9 Encoder DMO
    • Microsoft MPEG-2 Encoder
    • Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Encoder
    • Color Converter

I find interesting that:

1. VMR-9 is not listed, even thought it connects and plays
    2. I'm not able to connect the Color Converter

The video decoder that I am using is: Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder (msmpeg2vdec.dll, on Windows 7)

I'm going to try replacing the decoder with a different decoder to see if it makes any difference, but does anybody here have any idea what is going on?

Thank you,

Hector

Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:10 PM

Answers

• I managed to connect a video renderer to the Preview pin of the Smart Tee by inserting a "ffdshow raw video filter" in between.

Is there a replacement Smart Tee filter that provides its own allocator?

Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:46 PM
  • Pink Bunny Slippers wrote:
    >
    >I managed to connect a video renderer to the Preview pin of the Smart Tee by inserting a "ffdshow raw video filter" in between.
    >
    >Is there a replacement Smart Tee filter that provides its own allocator?

The Smart Tee filter is only useful with a live video capture device with
    hardware. If you have an async file source, then you should forget about
    the smart tee.
    --
    Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tim Roberts, DDK MVP
    Friday, January 21, 2011 8:11 AM

All replies

• I managed to connect a video renderer to the Preview pin of the Smart Tee by inserting a "ffdshow raw video filter" in between.

Is there a replacement Smart Tee filter that provides its own allocator?

Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:46 PM
  • Pink Bunny Slippers wrote:
    >
    >I managed to connect a video renderer to the Preview pin of the Smart Tee by inserting a "ffdshow raw video filter" in between.
    >
    >Is there a replacement Smart Tee filter that provides its own allocator?

The Smart Tee filter is only useful with a live video capture device with
    hardware. If you have an async file source, then you should forget about
    the smart tee.
    --
    Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tim Roberts, DDK MVP
    Friday, January 21, 2011 8:11 AM