none
Problems with Windows SDK

Question

• Subject: Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5

I attempted to install the Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5

on my PC at home which is running Windows XP Professional SP2.   The .NET Framework

3.5 SP1 was already installed on my PC.

The install went pretty well except for the fact that I at first chose not to install the C++ compiler

since I knew I would only be using the C# compiler.   That turned out to be a mistake because

I then got an error message telling me that no x86 compilers had been installed.   So I went

back and did the install again this time including the C++ compiler.   That solved that

problem and even though I wasn’t thrilled about that glitch, it was no big deal.   

Then, I brought up the command shell that was installed by the SDK and when it came up I

decided to customize the background color and apply the update to the link that starts up

the cmd shell.   Bad decision.   After that I could no longer bring up the command shell

without it behaving weird.   Something was definitely wrong.

So then I decided to repair my SDK installation (perhaps this was overkill, but I didn’t know

how else to fix the problem.   Most unfortunate decision.   The repair

was not even half way through after 3 hours elapsed.   Good grief!!    So I had to cancel

out of that.

Oh, and I noticed that the installation script for the SDK leaves a bunch of files in my

root folder, i.e. in C:\

I’m talking about 9 files named eula.1028.txt (different numbers for different files) and

about 9 files named install.res.1028.dll (different numbers for different files).   Why are

all these files being dumped in my root folder … can’t they be placed in some folder

specific to the SDK  instead of cluttering up my root folder?

I ended up uninstalling the SDK and am not sure it’s worth the hassle to try installing it

again.   Needless to say, this whole experience was a major disappointment.

Mike

Sunday, July 12, 2009 1:04 AM

All replies

• Mkedwards, the issue with the 9 files being installed to C:\ is known, and will be fixed in the next SDK release.

Monday, July 20, 2009 5:09 PM