none
Windows Search: "The system cannot find the path specified"

Question

• Hello all,

I have un-installed, and re-installed the Windows Desktop Search about 5 times, lots of re-boots, and such. But I STILL can't figure out why it will NEVER work on my system. I've tied the older version, the new version, I have COMPLETELY intalled every patch and windows update. But, no luck. The Windows Search service keeps giving me the error:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could not start the Windows Search service on Local Computer.

Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've search around everywhere. I've found every different version of 'cannot find the path specified' errors all over the internet and MSDN, but none have been for the Windows Search system.

Is there SOME way to possibly fix this? Or somewhere I can even look to see where all the paths might be setup? I am frustrated and out of options!

Thank you,

Derek Colanduno

Friday, August 17, 2007 5:08 PM

All replies

• I am also having this problem HELP!!

I removed the drive where windows vista had the indexing folder now i can't start the service also i can't change the path for the indexing folder.

Saturday, October 06, 2007 4:36 PM
  • Derek - please confirm OS and SP for this installation..

Monday, October 08, 2007 7:05 AM
  • MadMaXx - in what order did you attempt to move the index folder path versus the removal of the drive? With Vista, the 3.0 search service was inherent in the RTM version - meaning you can simply use asystem restore point to get back to your original installation including the default path for the indexing folder.

Monday, October 08, 2007 7:08 AM
  •  

Heey I didn't think anyone would read the post =p

This was a couple of months ago but if my memory serves me right I first installed Vista. After the Vista installation I changed the indexing folder to T:\Windows\

Everything was working fine and I decided to install Windows XP. When choosing what drive to put XP on I i deleted the partition T:\ and installed XP on it. The original order placement of that partition was D: so when XP was finished and booted it had been installed on drive D: and Vista was on C:\ . I had big problems with the multiboot but that part is probably for some other forum.

When all was set I booted to Vista and forgot about the changes made. After a couple of weeks when I was about to change my indexing options I noticed it was OFF. Everything was greyed out. When attempting to start the service manually I got a message with something like Path Not Found. That's when I realized what I have done and sudden pain hit my chest. It was not possible to change another drive letter back to T:\ because the folders had been removed by the XP installation.

I never use restore because I often install and uninstall drivers and software. I'm a little afraid of the consequences.

I'm using Windows Vista x64 edition and I managed to finally fix it myself.

I created a T:\ drive and created the folders Vista search uses.

Search\Data\Config, Applications, Temp

In one of these folders C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_windowssearchengine

I managed to locate the three important files to put in the Config folder

gathrprm.txt

msscolmn.txt

schema.txt

I also copied some other files to the applications folder and temp folder I don't exactly remember which. When I tried to start the service I was suprised that it actually started woohooo =) !!

Vista still uses T:\Temp\Windows\Search\Data\Temp\usgthrsvc as a temp folder even tho I try to change the Indexing path. If I remove drive T:\  indexing is once again greyed out and stopped. There is no way to change the registry keys because they are locked and I as admin don't have the permission to change it....Thanks again Microsoft.....!!

Finally some order out of chaos and I'm happy with my Vista now. It's so much smoother than XP..It's just the "little things" that annoy me. But I know the will eventually be fixed.

Thanks for the reply tho /MaX

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 5:07 PM
  •  MadMaXx wrote:

gathrprm.txt

msscolmn.txt

schema.txt

I also copied some other files to the applications folder and temp folder I don't exactly remember which. When I tried to start the service I was suprised that it actually started woohooo =) !!

I am copied all files from folder, where this 3 files were - c:\Windows\winsxs\x86_windowssearchengine_ ...         for my Vista32

My problem began after trying change inexing path only!

Thanks for your post, MaX !

Monday, January 28, 2008 4:15 PM
  •  lspm wrote:
     MadMaXx wrote:

gathrprm.txt

msscolmn.txt

schema.txt

I am copied all files from folder, where this 3 files were - c:\Windows\winsxs\x86_windowssearchengine_ ...         for my Vista32

My problem began after trying change inexing path only!

Thanks for your post, MaX !

Hi guys,

I seem to have the same problem on an XP pro OS, after deleting by mistake the {...} of the windows desktop search files. I cannot re-start the desktop search although have tried to re-install it (3.01). I get the HTML initial page but it says it can't start the service. Going through RUN "services.msc" I see indeed the windows search in "stop" but trying to "start" it will get me the error messege earlier mentioned by Derek "error 3: the system cannot find the path specified". ANY ONE CAN HELP? PLEASE?

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:47 AM
  • Hi Derek, all. I am not sure if you still have the problem mentioned.

After just posting my messege here today, I have found another thread that suggested a solution for it for windows XP. It solved my problem completely. you may find it at the following url:

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?postid=2757850&isthread=false&siteid=1&authhash=18dc81c909fc37d528bd7097a2817ca72b5c3f3b&ticks=633371650177730340

Elon (NL)

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:01 AM
  • I have solved this by turning the Windows Search Feature off and then on (it would ask to reboot but ignore that). 

To access Windows Feature go to

Control Panel->Programs->Turn Windows Features On/Off.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 6:38 AM