none
Cant uninstall WinFX - help

Question

• I had the following installed previously on my computer:

• .NET Framework 2.0 beta 2 (50215 build)
    • Visual C# Express 2005 beta 2
    • WinFX runtime components beta 1
    • WinFX SDK beta 1
    • MSH

Now, after Nov 7, I wanted to install VC# Express 2005 (RTM), so I downloaded and ran the auto uninstall utility. It removed the following components from my system:

• .NET Framework 2.0 beta 2 (50215 build)
    • Visual C# Express 2005 beta 2

After that, I installed the following:

• .NET Framework 2.0 (RTM - 50727 build)
    • Visual C# Express 2005 (RTM)

Now, I want to remove / reinstall MSH and WinFX but the uninstaller is exiting with the message that "a more recent version of .NET framework is required to run MSH, please install .NET 2.0 beta 2 (50215) to continue."

This is very frustrating for me since I cant remove the files from my system. Moreover, i deleted the setup for .NET framework beta 2, so I cant install it again.

Please help.

Sushovan De
    [ http://geocities.com/sushovande ]

Thursday, November 10, 2005 2:13 PM

Answers

• Overall, what I can tell from the posting threads are the incompatible version of .NET Framework that is causing the problem.

To summarize:

1. WinFX SDK Beta 1 requires the Beta 2 version of .NET Framework.

2. For WinFX runtime components releases that starting in Nov. they all require the RTM version of .NET Framework that you can get from the Windows update or by installing the WinFX runtime. * The key is to ensure that you don't have a Beta 2 version of .NET Framework on your machine before you run the setup. If you do have the Beta 2 version of Framework installed, please make sure you uninstall it first.

3. Also, WinFX SDK has combined with Windows SDK since Nov. so to get the version that works with the RTM version of Framewok and the WinFX runtime Dec. release, please install the Windows SDK Dec. CTP from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2297BDC9-B5AE-4B8A-B601-EEF54A52867A&displaylang=en

Hope this helps.

Annie.

Monday, January 02, 2006 8:18 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same problem.

Help would be appreciated.
    Thursday, November 17, 2005 3:05 AM
  • I worked around the problem with MSH - by getting hold of an old .NET 2.0 beta 2 runtime file from an old CD. This is what I did:

• Installed .NET Runtime 2.0 beta 2 (while 2.0 RTM was still installed)
    • Uninstalled MSH - successfully
    • Uninstalled .NET Runtime 2.0 beta 2
    • Repaired the install of .NET 2.0 RTM from the Control Panel

This got rid of MSH.

Now suddenly - WinFX runtimes, and WinFX SDK VANISHED from my Add-Remove Programs List! And the SDK files are STILL on my system - I just cant use them anymore. I am afraid to delete them - God knows when they pop back into my programs list. This might have been a result of my previous attempts to uninstall it (which had always failed).

Microsoft, please please help us.
    Friday, November 18, 2005 3:46 PM
  • The uninstall tool utility also uninstall the WinFX runtime Beta 1 bits so that could explain why you don't see it in Add/remove programs anymore. I'm not sure what MSH is but from your description, its uninstall has dependency on .NET FX Beta 2 version thus you ran into uninstall issue with it.
    To help diagnose the problem,
    please download the www.huydao.net/setup/msiinv.zip and unzip it to get msiinv.exe. Run this tool in the command line window and send the output in the text file to me (anniew_community@hotmail.com). This output file will tell us what products still left on your machine so we know what to clean up.

Thanks,
    Annie Wang
    Devdiv Setup, Microsoft.

Saturday, November 19, 2005 2:03 AM
  • By MSH, I mean Microsoft Command Shell, codename "Monad". The installer for MSH was packaged with the WinFX SDK beta 1.

Update: What I have done after my last post...
    • Downloaded and Installed WinFX November CTP Runtime Components
    • Downloaded and Installed WinFX November CTP SDK - to the same folder as the beta 1 was previously installed - this caused all the previous files to get overwritten.
    • Tried to run XAMLPad - SUCCESSFUL !! This seems to imply that my installation of WinFX Runtime Components (at least) is successful. I have not tried compiling any programs yet, so I am not sure about the SDK (since the Visual Studio Extensions are not working for some reason).

I ran the tool you mentioned in the post, it created an 84KB file having details of ALL the programs installed... I will send them to the mail address provided..

Thank you!
    Saturday, November 19, 2005 11:36 AM
  • Looks like you are able to start using the product. This is great!
    I didn't get the output file. So, here is my email address again in case I mistyped it last time :-): anniew_community@hotmail.com. If you still want me to help debug the issue, please free to ping me.

Thanks,
    Annie Wang
    Microsoft, Developer Division Setup

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 3:12 AM
  • Don't know about WinFX, but with MSH you can get around this.

The installer uses

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products

To keep track of installed products.

Examine the subkeys until you find the one with a value ProductName = "Microsoft Command Shell"

Export it to a file if you are paranoid.
    Delete it.

The installer should now be happy to install the newer MSH for you. You might want to clean up the old folders first.

This probably isn't the cleanest way of doing it, but it worked for me, without wrecking my VS Express setups.
    Friday, December 23, 2005 2:23 PM
  • Same here:

1. dornetfx.exe failed
    2. Microsoft Update failed

UUUUGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

Sunday, January 01, 2006 9:01 AM
  • Overall, what I can tell from the posting threads are the incompatible version of .NET Framework that is causing the problem.

To summarize:

1. WinFX SDK Beta 1 requires the Beta 2 version of .NET Framework.

2. For WinFX runtime components releases that starting in Nov. they all require the RTM version of .NET Framework that you can get from the Windows update or by installing the WinFX runtime. * The key is to ensure that you don't have a Beta 2 version of .NET Framework on your machine before you run the setup. If you do have the Beta 2 version of Framework installed, please make sure you uninstall it first.

3. Also, WinFX SDK has combined with Windows SDK since Nov. so to get the version that works with the RTM version of Framewok and the WinFX runtime Dec. release, please install the Windows SDK Dec. CTP from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2297BDC9-B5AE-4B8A-B601-EEF54A52867A&displaylang=en

Hope this helps.

Annie.

Monday, January 02, 2006 8:18 PM