none
Should we now replace "MS Shell Dlg" in our .rc files with "Segoe UI",

Question

• Hi,

I've got a question regarding Segoe UI. I thought this thread would help me regarding Segoe UI.

In one of the training class, we were told that apps for Vista should use "Segoe UI" as their font for dialogs. For NT/W2K, people in the past were told, not to use "MS Sans Serif" anymore but instead "MS Shell Dlg" as this maps via a registry value to the proper Shell font which can be switched for the whole shell in one fell swoop. Should we now replace "MS Shell Dlg" in our .rc files with "Segoe UI", or will "MS Shell Dlg" by default map to  "Segoe UI" on Vista or is there yet another face name that will map to "Segoe UI" when used on Vista?

Thanks in advance...

Thursday, March 09, 2006 6:50 AM

Answers

• Segoe UI has different metrics from MS Sans Serif, so MS Shell Dlg cannot map to Segoe UI on Vista. (Otherwise dialog boxes would come out corrupted.) If you want Segoe you have to ask for it.
    Wednesday, March 15, 2006 4:32 PM

All replies

• Segoe UI has different metrics from MS Sans Serif, so MS Shell Dlg cannot map to Segoe UI on Vista. (Otherwise dialog boxes would come out corrupted.) If you want Segoe you have to ask for it.
    Wednesday, March 15, 2006 4:32 PM
  • hanks for your reply. It helped.
    Thursday, March 16, 2006 6:13 AM
  • Any advice for those of us writing apps to run on both XP and Vista?

It'd be great not to see:     if OSVer >=6 then "Segoe UI" else "Tahoma"

I understand not being able to predict text layout when switching fonts, but we already deal with problems in that space for localization and High DPI.

- Paul

Sunday, July 02, 2006 10:39 PM
  • Here's an idea:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=709209&SiteID=1

the above technique applies to MFC but a similar technique can be used in pure Win32 apps (i.e. changing the DLGTEMPLATE font at run-time *before* the dialog is created).  The only caveat would be to make sure enough extra "slop" space is left in your static text to cover all fonts being used.

Saturday, September 09, 2006 12:24 AM