none
My Laptop will not sleep with I close the Lid

Question

•  

I am wondering if anyone can help me.  I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows Ultimate fresh onto my Dell XPS1710.  Since having done so my laptop no longer will sleep when I close the lid.  All it does is lock the computer and require that I enter my password to get back to the desktop.  However the computer remains on the whole time and does not go into a power-saving mode.  I usually reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows about every 6 months to fully clean up all the added junk that has accumulated on the drive and have never before experienced this problem.  From the forums and ideas I have come up with I have tried the following things.  Reflashing the BIOS & Chipset.  Running diagnostic start-up disabling all except windows components.  None of these have solved the problem.  This is very frustrating as I use the sleep feature quite frequently whenever I am not at my laptop and hibernate which still does work takes to long to reload when I come back to my laptop.
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 2:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Same problem here, just with premium and dell e1505. The only why my computer will now enter sleep mode, is if I unplug it then press the power button, no matter how I set the "power and sleep button lid settings". It really bugs me because it used to freacking work fine. Grrr

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:13 AM
  •  

well now I feel stupid, but here this worked for me, maybe its the same stupid thing for you. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/re-enable-sleep-mode-in-windows-vista/
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:18 AM
  • Yea that is sort of what I ended up doing to fix the problem.  Only I went about through going into Windows Mediap Player and turning off network sharing of files.  As I noticed in the system configuration that that was listed and thenin the task manager that it was running.  After turning it of I have been able to enter into sleep mode.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:22 PM
  • Thank you ari21 for sharing the website. The article/ instructions helped me a lot!! Thanks again
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 7:32 PM