none
No sound on my Toshiba Satellite , I've tried many drivers

Question

• Hello guys,

I own a Toshiba Satellite L100-121 notebook and I have recently upgraded to Microsoft Windows Vista. My notebook has an onboard sound card (realtek ac97 I believe) and I have downloaded so far almost 12 versions of sound drivers designed to work on Vista without success. I went to realtek's website, none of their drivers seem to work. I went on Toshiba's website, same issues.

I need your help. It is terrible without any sound.

Regards

Thursday, March 08, 2007 2:53 AM

Answers

• Hi:

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble getting sound to work on your Toshiba notebook. Unfortunately, I can't help much. You really need to get the drivers from the hardware manufacturers. I'm having similar problems with some of my hardware. We just need to keep asking the hardware manufacturers to provide proper support for Windows Vista.

Regards,
     - Mark Hopkins (MSFT)

Friday, March 09, 2007 10:36 PM
  • The following is a temporary solution that I was able to find online that worked for me.

"This is responding to an old post, but this is for others who encountered the

same problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite XP A75 notebook that had the exact same symptoms. The volume control was greyed out, but the OS thought the audio device was working properly. This happened after I did a virus scan and cleaned up some malware.  It seems that the RealTek driver installer program alcupd.exe was

infected and refused to work correctly or be overwritten by reinstalling

the device drivers. The installer would always crash 80% thru.

My solution was to remove file alcupd.exe (or rename it) then reinstall the drivers.

My sound works fine now. Hope this saves someone grief. Good luck."

Sunday, April 22, 2007 4:30 AM

All replies

• Hi:

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble getting sound to work on your Toshiba notebook. Unfortunately, I can't help much. You really need to get the drivers from the hardware manufacturers. I'm having similar problems with some of my hardware. We just need to keep asking the hardware manufacturers to provide proper support for Windows Vista.

Regards,
     - Mark Hopkins (MSFT)

Friday, March 09, 2007 10:36 PM
  • HI

Sorry to tell you but im having the same problem, however im running windows xp media. Windows did an automatic update and i have no sound on video only. It does'nt matter what programm i use (divx, wmp, ect.) it just does'nt work.

Regards

Jeff  

Sunday, April 08, 2007 3:36 PM
  • Jeff I'm having the exact same problem with Windows xp, I updated something and now in my sound and audio devices it tells me  "no audio device ". However if I go to RelTek HD sound effect manager. I can do a 3D audion demo and it produces sound on my speakers. But no other sound will work. It's driving me crazy! Plz help! Thank you very much!
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 11:54 PM
  • Hi all,

Just had this issue and spent a lot of wasted time on it.  Here's my story if it helps.

It started with an automatic update that generated a system error see KB 935448.  Applied fix ok but 2 days later sound died.

Updated sound card with latest realtek drivers, no effect.  Noticed a WMM driver under sounds in device manager, flagged as error, and removed it.  Now all is ok.

Hope this helps.

Don

Friday, April 13, 2007 11:22 PM
  • Hi,

I have exactly the same circumstances, including the 2 days before failure!. However, I'm on XP and can see all the WMM files (but none show any problem) and when going through device manager as described, it I can't find any reference to these files and Device Manager tells me Realtek is working ok.

Anyone have any ideas please?

Terry
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 5:05 PM
  • so far anyone found any answer yet?

anyone here got any clue why isnt it working?

me also puzzled...

i installed vista and now i lost my sound...

Saturday, April 21, 2007 6:24 PM
  • The following is a temporary solution that I was able to find online that worked for me.

"This is responding to an old post, but this is for others who encountered the

same problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite XP A75 notebook that had the exact same symptoms. The volume control was greyed out, but the OS thought the audio device was working properly. This happened after I did a virus scan and cleaned up some malware.  It seems that the RealTek driver installer program alcupd.exe was

infected and refused to work correctly or be overwritten by reinstalling

the device drivers. The installer would always crash 80% thru.

My solution was to remove file alcupd.exe (or rename it) then reinstall the drivers.

My sound works fine now. Hope this saves someone grief. Good luck."

Sunday, April 22, 2007 4:30 AM
  • thank you very much..

after going through some toshiba forum threads i manage to find this.

i will be trying out the newly sound driver for vista hope it works...

http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/vista_drivers.jsp?macId=&mode=allMachines&userOS=&action=search&selCategory=2&selFamily=2&selSeries=178&selProduct=647&selOS=26&selType=42&country=all&language=13&search=

Sunday, April 22, 2007 7:09 AM
  • Hello

I have almost the same problem on my HP Paivillion laptop (dv2065ea).

I hear sounds but the problem is that its almost 40% of the sound volume I could hear when I had XP. All the drivers ar for Vista computers so it should work apparently it doesn't!

Anyone can tell me what the problem is?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 12:51 PM
  • I have a toshiba notebook a80 and i am also facing the same problem with my audio realtek a97sound. why dont the mircosoft or realtek people do something about it.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 4:52 AM
  • I have an ACER with XP, ALCUPD is not only the driver, but also a threat.

look this

http://spywarefiles.prevx.com/RRFGHF15869/ALCUPD.EXE.html

regards
    Friday, August 24, 2007 12:32 AM
  • Hi, guys.

Million thanks for your post. it was very helpful. I've been searching for this driver for a long time. I upgraded my toshib satellite to windows vista. I manage to get VGA work but not sound. Now I've got the sound driver. I'll come back to tell you guy again if the sound works.

Once again. Thanks.

Friday, December 07, 2007 1:31 AM
  • my laptop computer is toshiba a10-so177 and there is no sound, can guys help<me??

Monday, March 24, 2008 3:11 AM
  • Hello All

I have Toshiba Satellite P100 with Vista - sound (Conexant driver) worked perfectly until Windows automatic upgrade in May.  After many weeks with no sound or help I eventualy restored the sound (which now has to be done everytime the laptop is booted up) by opening control panel, device manager,  right click on any device and run scan for hardware changes.

Any help appreciated

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:01 PM
  • my solution for you would be consider restoring old settings because the way it sounds to me alot of window vista computers are having problems with there sound and it seems to be with an automatic update that vista doesn't comply with

Friday, July 25, 2008 2:41 PM
  • I have had this problem time and again. Just got directions from Toshiba

Go on line type in to search bar (without www)

tinyurl.com/63mewt   (enter)

then hit'

DOWNLOAD

When finished (follow any prompts such as spy wear ok to continue)

Then RESTART computer should be ok......

Good Luck

Sunday, July 27, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Thank you thank you!  I have sound again!
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:09 AM
  • i had the same prob with my toshiba satellite l100 but fixed it by doing this :

1st i downloaded the driver from this link:
    http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/inn....jsp?service=UK

2nd installed the setup.exe

3rd opend device manager sound video and gamer controls
    (windows sign & pause/break then hardware tab)

4th updated the conexant ac-link audio driver
    (right click conexant ac-link audio and update driver)

5th clicked no not this time

6th clicked install from a list or specified location

7th ticked dont search i will choose the driver to install

8th clicked have disk

9th selected file named tosEW6a.inf then ok then next

10th rebooted and my sound now works.

good luck

luke.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:15 AM
  • I had the same problem with you but I have found Driver Updater Pro. It automaticly scans your PC drivers and updates them with a click

Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:35 PM
  • t hanks brother i have solved my problem according to ur suggestion

Regards

waseem

Saturday, April 17, 2010 8:27 PM
  • hello, toshiba a10 series software download sites

Saturday, May 01, 2010 7:36 AM
  • I had the same problem with my Toshiba Qosmio....after trying everything possible like you did I found a post about Dell's hot keys....toshiba is Fn +Esc.....hit that and it showed mute....hit again and I now have sound back. Hope this works for you too!
    Friday, September 17, 2010 3:26 AM
  • I had the same problem with my Toshiba Qosmio....after trying everything possible like you did I found a post about Dell's hot keys....toshiba is Fn +Esc.....hit that and it showed mute....hit again and I now have sound back. Hope this works for you too!

OMG - AFter trying 5 differnt drivers on my Toshiba u205-s5034, bios updates, and countless troubleshooting suggestions and web searches.  THIS WAS IT!  Thank you so much.  I haven't had any sound for 3 weeks after I reinstalled XP.    The very first driver was probably correct, the !@#$%^&* thing was just muted.   Unbelievable!  This is the first notebook I've ever had that didn't automatically unmute when you raised the volume. 

Thanks again

Chris

Monday, August 29, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Download Toshiba Satellite L100 Sound driver.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 11:57 AM
  • soundmax driver

Saturday, June 30, 2012 4:06 PM
  • Your problem is that you upgraded to Windows Vista in the first place.
    Saturday, August 04, 2012 12:46 AM
  • This was amazing. I figured the sound card was shot. I have an old Toshiba Satellite P100 running XP. Hit the Fn and Esc at the same time, and bingo, the sound was there. THEN I noticed that the Esc key has little mute/non-mute logos on it!
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:31 AM