none
pesky DLM file

Question

• I've inadvertantly downloaded the 5536 build vista as a DLM file when i'd obviously would prefer it in .iso format. When i click on the file i get the manditory "windows cannot read this file, shall we look it up on the net instead?" and the programs it comes up with are of no use to me what so ever! is there any good program that reads this format? i've been told it's a download manager file, but how do i get that? and if it's a standard download then y doesn't windows bring it up when it consults the internet? or should i cut my losses and wait for 5600?
    Tuesday, September 05, 2006 4:53 PM

Answers

• just rename the file and remove the .dlm and it will be read as an iso file
    Saturday, September 23, 2006 6:23 AM
  • Click the details button in the download manager and check the launch when done box. Once the file finishes it should launch your burning software with the iso already loaded. If the file is already completed then re-launch the download manager and check the launch when done box and it will re-verify the file integrity and then launch the burning software.

Hope this helps!

Note: Once it has been launched by the download manager it should permanently convert the file to an ISO.

Monday, September 18, 2006 1:22 PM

All replies

• I'm also having this problem!!
    Friday, September 15, 2006 11:26 PM
  • Click the details button in the download manager and check the launch when done box. Once the file finishes it should launch your burning software with the iso already loaded. If the file is already completed then re-launch the download manager and check the launch when done box and it will re-verify the file integrity and then launch the burning software.

Hope this helps!

Monday, September 18, 2006 1:19 PM

Hope this helps!

Note: Once it has been launched by the download manager it should permanently convert the file to an ISO.

Monday, September 18, 2006 1:22 PM
  • what if i no longer can find the download manager.  I had to reboot my system and it is gone.  I can't seem to get it back, when I try a new download, it starts to download the .iso again WITHOUT the download manager.  Suggestions?
    Friday, September 22, 2006 7:21 PM
  • just rename the file and remove the .dlm and it will be read as an iso file
    Saturday, September 23, 2006 6:23 AM
  • thanks guys for the suggestions, i've since downloaded RC1 and checked the "launch when done" box, and it worked perfectly, and i would recommend burning at 1x if at all possible coz i tried 2x first and just got a corrupted disk, i just wiped and burned again (RW rules! and is worth the extra dosh).
    Saturday, September 23, 2006 3:51 PM
  • ive downloaded the file as dlm.. coz i was using a torrent client downloader.. my problem is.. i dont have a DVD writer.. is there any other way that i can install vista not using a DVD?
    Saturday, October 07, 2006 4:25 PM
  • This is an .ISO file, which is basicaly an image. It can be emulated, type DAEMON TOOLS into google and you should findwhat you're looking for

Thursday, October 26, 2006 3:24 PM
  • renaming my .dlm did not result in an image that daemon tools could handle.

checking the box did nothing either - it just keeps saying "initializing (Allocating 3.31 GB)" in the status column.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:39 PM
  • Is there a way once after the download is complete without burning the downloaded .iso file to a CD\DVD to install from it when the file is on the computer or hard dik

Varuna
    Saturday, August 09, 2008 5:59 AM
  • Just rename the file into anything like --- 11111 and then add a .exe  so it will be 11111.exe

That worked for me.
    Monday, September 08, 2008 7:52 AM
  • MAY BE DOWNLOAD WAS NOT COMPLETED OR DID NOT CONNECTED TO INTERNET.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:14 AM
  • this is what needed to do thank you very much

Sunday, July 19, 2009 3:35 PM
  • I had this same problem downloading a Microsoft file using Windows XP Professionas, service pack 3). 

I called Microsoft Tech. Support. As a Microsoft Software Partner I expected to get some quick phone help.  I talked with someone who was not technical, she listened to my problem, put me on hold several times, then told me to send them a screen shot of the procedure I used to create the file and of  the resultant file, and the error message.  She said that someone would get back to me in three to five business days.  I needed help that night, not the next week!

So, here is what I found out, the hard way -- by trying and trying until it finally worked. 

I was downloading Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 Service Pack 2 from the Microsoft Partner website.  The file was 3.1 GBytes.  I found that I had stopped the download before it was finished and the ISO file that was downloaded was: 
    SW_DVD5_NTRL_Office_PPro_2007SP2_W32_C22-Patch_X15-30133.ISE.dlm.
    The .dlm indicates that the download was not completed.

I was using the recommended Download Manager.  Problem was that there was very little feedback as to the progress of the download.  Being a large file, it took a long time to download.  The Download Manger tells you the percent completion from 0% to 100%, but when it finally hits 100%, it still sits there for a long, long time.  Then you realize that it is doing a verify, if you notice the slight change on the "status" box.  When the verify is finally completed it still sits for a long, long time.  On my third try of the download, I just let it sit until it finally said that the download was complete.  (I'd say about 90 minutes in all for the third try).  I"m using a DSL line running at about 6.5 MBits per second.  I'm surprised it took so long to download.

But when I went to open the file, (same file name as above, except for the .dlm at the end), I got a message that Windows XP didn't know which program to use to open the .ISO file.  I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked.  When I took the link to Internet for suggested programs, I found links to a bunch of commerical programs that had to be purchased.  I found a shareware one (WinImage) that looked like it would work and you can download it for a free 30 day trial before buying it. 

I downloaded WinImage and used it to extract the files from the .ISO file, creating a 3.1 GByte set of files.  There was an .idf file, thee large .exe's and a readme file.  The readme file said to execute the the first .exe and that it would automatically run the second .exe.  My problem was that I had used up 6.2 GBytes of disk space.  When I ran the executable it  ran for a long, long time, this time with no feedback.  There was a single bar that moved across the screen very slowly, with no indication of what was going on.  I expected to see some detail of which files were being updated, etc.   It updates every file in the Office Enterprise 2007 automatically (and there are a LOT of programs to update).  When the bar got to the right the program kept running for a long time and then I got a message that there was not sufficient disk space for it to complete and it exited.  I'm surprised that it didn't check my available disk space before starting the update.   It was 1:00 AM and so I went to bed.

This morning I played with the system some more.  I found that the Sonic MyDVD program would burn a DVD using the .ISO file as source.  I burned a DVD (about 45 minutes).  Just to  be safe I also burned a DVD using the files extracted from the DVD with WinImage.  Then I tried something else,  I mounted the .ISO file, using WinImage and assigned it a drive letter.  I was able to execute the .ISO program after it was mounted.  I didn't want to complete it as my disk was still full.  I'm not aware of any programs on my complete that can mount an .ISO file, so had to use the WinImage program.  It did the job.

I deleted the .ISO file and also the folder of the extracted files, freeing up 6.2 GBytes of disk space.  I ran the update from the DVD and completed the update (in about another hour).  It ran to completion, again with very little feedback while it was running.

So, the short version of the above is: 

Download the program from Microsoft being sure to wait until it has finished downloading.  You will have a .ISO file (CDROM or DVD image).
    Option (1):  Using a DVD program, such as Sonic MyDVD execute the .ISO file, which will execute the setup program
    Option (2):  Using a program such as WinImage, mount the .ISO file and execute it as if it were a disk drive.
    There is no reason to burn a DVD, unless you need to remove the .ISO file from your hard disk before you can run the setup program, or if you want to keep the update for another computer or a later reinstall.

One other concern.  After I did all of this, I can't find out how to see that each program does indeed have the Service Pack 2 installed.  On this system (Office 2007) you can't go to "help" and then the "about Word (or Excel, or?)" and see the version and service pack installed.  Anyone know where to go to get that information?  It would make me feel better to see the proof that the update actually did something!

I'd guess I spent around 15 hours all together trying to make this work.  The documentation from Microsoft was worthless.  Their customer support is even worse.  But, I learned a lot.  Hope this saves someone else a lot of time and frustration.

Thursday, August 06, 2009 11:21 PM
  • Had a similar problem, I ended up downloading 2 copies of the Server 2008 dlm but having no luck with the ISO creation when I clicked launch at the end of the download session. After much hair tearing, a colleague wandered over and ticked 'do not show hidden folders'. This then changed my hidden dlm files that were semi greyed out on the desktop into ISOs. His explanation was that the ISO had the same filename as the dlm and therefore couldnt be created in the same location which made sense to me.
    • Proposed as answer by ClaireDublin Monday, March 04, 2013 10:07 AM
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 9:59 AM
  • Conthedon is correct. It seems that simply rebooting your system however will make the DLM files go away and leave the ISOs free to show up. Another way to get access to them before rebooting is to open Windows Explorer and click on the desktop at the top of the folder tree. That was what I did. I then cut and pasted the ISO files into another folder. The DLM files were still on the desktop and could not be deleted. I rebooted and they are now gone. Hence the reason I surmise that simply rebooting would have solved the issue.
    Friday, October 02, 2009 3:55 PM
  • dlm extension show that file is used for File Transfer Manager Software. You can download and install it here: http://transfers.ds.microsoft.com/ftm/default.aspx?target=install.

After install FTM Software, run it and click option to adjust your output folder where download file store.

And then,  you can open dlm file which has downloaded before with it, click Transfer to begin download... enjoy!

Friday, October 15, 2010 2:58 PM
  • hi guys, just download magicdisk and mount the ISO - it will load as a normal DVD.

have fun!!

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 4:16 AM
  • My pesky xxx.exe.dlm file was on the desktop, and appeared to be hidden/system (Greyed out) with the security attributes being unavialable.  I ended up clicking on an open space in the desktop, and hitting F5...this refreshed the desktop, and the file was now avialable for deletion/modification as the intended file xxx.exe.
    • Proposed as answer by wgibsoniii Monday, January 09, 2012 10:29 PM
    Monday, January 09, 2012 10:28 PM
  • I just opened the .dlm file with my burner and it seemed to work
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:31 PM
  • Did This work for anyone? Sure is faster to rename than using the Download Manager!!
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 4:15 PM