none
USB to Serial/COM Port cable usage in Windows 8

Question

• I have an application built using C# that receives input from an external device. I use a Serial-to-USB cable to connect the device to my PC.

When my application starts up, it gets all the serial port names using System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.GetPortNames(). Under Windows 7, this function works just fine and my application communicates with the external device.

But when running on Windows 8, the external device is not coming up in the list of ports using .GetPortNames() so obviously, my application cannot communication to the device.

I've made sure that I have the latest device drivers installed for the cable, but still no luck.

Any suggestions for me to investigate and resolve this issue? 

• Edited by Kevin Goyena Saturday, November 17, 2012 8:15 PM
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 8:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• contact the company that provides the driver. can you open the serial port in hyperterm?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, November 17, 2012 10:46 PM
    Owner
  • The driver is from Prolific and their website indicates that they support Windows 8.

What is hyperterm?

Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:56 PM
  • I found and downloaded Hyperterm and after plugging in my device, when I try to create a new connection in hyperterm, the device com port is not listed.
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 8:59 PM
  • contact prolific

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, November 19, 2012 1:31 AM
    Owner
  • I've ordered a new cable and driver that is advertised to fully support Windows 8.  We'll see how it goes.
    Monday, November 19, 2012 1:35 AM