none
Utility to provide automatic ad-hoc wireless network connections in Windows Vista Business

Question

•  

Hi Guys I know this is a development forum but I am hoping someone will be able to help me.

What I Want:

Utility to provide automatic ad-hoc wireless network connections in Windows Vista Business.

Reason:

Every time I start Vista, I have to manually connect to the ad-hoc wireless connection for my printer.

Background:

I have a HP Pavilion DV8310TX notebook computer and HP OfficeJet 7410 all-in-one printer.

My notebook came loaded with Windows XP Pro SP2 and my printer came with its own drivers.

Under Windows XP, I was able to setup an ad-hoc wireless network which connected automatically.

After upgrading to Windows Vista Business I found it does not allow automatic ad-hoc connections.

Now every time I start my computer I have to manually start the ad-hoc wireless network connection.

Can someone please find me a solution because Microsoft is unwilling to change Windows Vista?

Saturday, May 26, 2007 3:00 AM

Answers

• This is the Peer-to-Peer Networking forum so I am not an expert on wireless networking.  There was a lot of press characterizing automatic connections to ad hoc wireless networks as a security hole prior to Vista so I am not surprised that you can no longer create automatic connections to ad hoc wireless networks.  I can understand that this is probably very annoying to the large number of users who did not regard automatic ad hoc wireless connections as a security hole.

Using a wireless router as a wireless access point is one option.  You can connect both your notebook and your printer to the same wireless network and then add the printer as a network printer.  If you do not like that option you could use the Vista task scheduler to automate connecting to the ad hoc wireless network but it would be more secure to use a wireless access point and WPA 2 to protect your wireless network.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 12:27 AM

All replies

• This is the Peer-to-Peer Networking forum so I am not an expert on wireless networking.  There was a lot of press characterizing automatic connections to ad hoc wireless networks as a security hole prior to Vista so I am not surprised that you can no longer create automatic connections to ad hoc wireless networks.  I can understand that this is probably very annoying to the large number of users who did not regard automatic ad hoc wireless connections as a security hole.

Using a wireless router as a wireless access point is one option.  You can connect both your notebook and your printer to the same wireless network and then add the printer as a network printer.  If you do not like that option you could use the Vista task scheduler to automate connecting to the ad hoc wireless network but it would be more secure to use a wireless access point and WPA 2 to protect your wireless network.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 12:27 AM
  • Thanks for a great suggestion regarding using task scheduler to automate the connection process. The only problem I have now is knowing how to setup the task scheduler to run the wireless connection when I logon. Can you tell me if there are any websites which can guide me through this setup process?

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 7:11 AM
  • Look up using netsh to connect to wireless networks.  You will need to save a wireless network profile (an xml file containing the network configuration) for the ad hoc wirelss network.  Then you need to create a task in the task scheduler to run netsh.exe with the command line "wlan connect name=profilename" whenever you login.  Creating a wireless network profile and connecting to a network using a specified profile has decent help in netsh.  The task scheduler UI is a common wizard type setup but if you need help you can just do a web search.

Make sure to use WPA2 as otherwise you will be sharing you printer with anyone within range of you wireless network as well as opening up your computer to possible attack.

Monday, June 11, 2007 7:43 PM
  •  Eliot Flannery - MSFT wrote:

Look up using netsh to connect to wireless networks.  You will need to save a wireless network profile (an xml file containing the network configuration) for the ad hoc wirelss network.  Then you need to create a task in the task scheduler to run netsh.exe with the command line "wlan connect name=profilename" whenever you login.  Creating a wireless network profile and connecting to a network using a specified profile has decent help in netsh.  The task scheduler UI is a common wizard type setup but if you need help you can just do a web search.

Make sure to use WPA2 as otherwise you will be sharing you printer with anyone within range of you wireless network as well as opening up your computer to possible attack.

This is a long bump. For that, I apologize. (I found the thread via google)

I need the ad hoc network to be created before I log in (at system startup) and this did not work when I tried it by setting the run time to "at system startup" in the task scheduler. It works if I assign the task as a login task, but that defeats the purpose for why I need my machine:

I need this ability in order to be able to use my server box (Server 2008) as a headless video rendering workstation while I'm at MIX. As such, I hate to be stubborn about this but I'd appreciate only a solution to this problem. This was a usage scenario I encountered frequently in Windows Server 2003 (with no issues, might I add) but has driven me up a wall here with 2008.

An answer ASAP (preferably before the end of the day Monday) is requested. Thanks in advance.
    Sunday, March 02, 2008 3:11 AM
  • I have a very similar issue with running Vista on a mobile embedded system that needs to connect via Ad Hoc WiFi to another embedded device. I think the problem can be solved by writing a Windows Service that runs netsh and the WLAN profile before login happens. I'm not sure how Windows Vista security priveledges handle running netsh from the LocalService acount, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Because of this AdHoc issue and a few other Vista security issues, we decided to remain with XP for the time being on our current platform, so its not a time critical issue for us.

There may already be a service out there that does exactly the same thing.

If I went ahead and spent the ten or so hours programming this, would anyone else with the problem be willing to help me justify the cost to my boss by releasing the service as "Donationware"?

- Curtis 

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:47 PM
  • Below should help:-

1.  Create a manual profile with same ssid as to which adhoc network you want to connect. Ensure to untick connect automatically.

2.  Start cmd.exe as adminisatrator and type netsh. Press Enter. Type wlan. Press Enter.
      Type export profile folder="C:\Profiles" in cmd.
     Your exported profile will be saved in "C:\Windows\System32" by default if folder not specified.

3.  Copy the exported profile file on your desktop and open in Notepad.
     Replace ESS by IBSS.
     Ensure that the next line contains "Manual". If it contains "Automatic" then,
     recreate the profile in step 1 wth "start this connection automatically" ticked off.
     Save and close the file.
     Ensure that you are not connected to any network before proceeding to next step.

4. Back in cmd type
     add profile filename="C:\Users\$X$\Desktop\$$Filename$$.xml" interface="interface type of connection"
     Check by connecting to the desired network. It should not ask for any password prompt.

5. Schedule the task in scheduler.
     program: netsh.exe
     arguments: wlan connect name="proflename"

• Proposed as answer by _bKG_ Sunday, January 08, 2012 3:00 AM
    Sunday, January 08, 2012 3:00 AM