none
back 2 speakers in 5.1 surround sound not working

Question

• I just installed Vista and my back 2 speakers stopped working. I have an Asus P4S533-MX motherboard, and AD1980 SoundMax audio driver. No idea what's going on....please help.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 6:28 AM

All replies

• Have you configured the audio engine to use 5.1 surround mode?  Start the sound control panel (right click on volume in the tray, select "Playback"), then select your speakers.

In the bottom left, there's a button marked "configure", select that, it should give you the option of enabling multichannel sound (assuming that your driver supports it).

• Proposed as answer by Migo7 Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:25 PM
    Monday, February 26, 2007 4:14 PM
  • I tried that already. For some reason when it tests noise in the back 2 speakers, the noise comes from the front 2.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 5:12 PM
  • I also noticed that my sound quality is considerably worse.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 6:04 PM
  • You need to get the soundmax drivers that go with your motherboard - soundmax makes different driver packages for different motherboards, it appears that you're using a driver package that isn't the correct package for your machine.

I would check your motherboard manufacturers web site to see if they have a newer driver.

Monday, February 26, 2007 6:21 PM
  • But the sound was perfect before I installed Vista. I only upgraded Vista, so all of my drivers are as they were before I upgraded. And there were no new sound drivers on the site.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 6:37 PM
  • You know what? Now that I think about it, I installed Vista a few days ago, YET I noticed the bad quality of the sound and the disabled speakers yesterday. I think it may be something recent that screwed them up. I was planning to use system restore but there is no previous saved restore point...just my luck...
    Monday, February 26, 2007 9:50 PM
  • HELP i've got the some problem i'm using a Sound Blaster Xterme Fidelity Sound Card on Microsoft Vista

I have configred the Sound in Windows Control Panel and Media Center ALL to 5.1 Surround Sound and the speakers work, well testing them they ALL work (2 front, 2 back, center and sub)

now when it comes it Game playing or Music player etc the 2 fronts work fine BUT the Rear 2 speakers, Center and Sub are all dead as Dodo's.

Now the software on CD that come with the Card works on XP but not Vista, well the driver is the only thing that works on Vista, the Mixer Program that comes on the CD and the program to Control it which would be on the Control Panel does'nt work either,

Can Someone point me the the right direction

Thursday, March 15, 2007 12:16 PM
  • i'm as lost as you are. i just purchased a x-fi xtreme audio and have the same problem. maybe you forgot to enable the CMSS-3D.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 6:12 PM
  • (windows vista surround sound issue)Anyone who has onboard Nvidia sound, can use the realtek ac97 audio codec. I had the same problem with my audio drivers (not getting surround to work) and decided to give the realtek driver a shot. Worked like a charm. hope this helps you all out.
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 7:44 AM
  • Hi,

Same problem here, waiting for compatible drivers...

Regards
    Friday, April 13, 2007 4:39 PM
  • I have the same problem and I think it is due to the fact that I have no Creative software installed as I had on Windows XP. I used the software to turn the CMSS on, which does the upmixing. I am sure you will hear 5.1 sound when you play a DVD movie as I did. But when playing a stereo sound, such as MP3, only the left and right speakers are playing.

Does anybody know how to enable upmix in Vista? Is there any software from Creative for Vista that would enable upmixing?

Monday, April 23, 2007 3:55 PM
  • Email respone from Creative support:

I understand you are experiencing a problem where when you do a speaker
    test in our software you do not hear sounds from the rear speakers
    however the speakers do work when doing the speaker test in Control
    Panel, and also they do not work in games?

Currently this is a known issue with the current Vista Drivers.  In the
    Details section of the driver download under known issues it is stated
    that the software from the installation CD will not function properly
    with the Driver.  Creative is aware of this issue however it will likely
    be some time before fully functioning software and Drivers can be
    produced for Windows Vista.  This is largely do to the fact that Windows
    Vista is not entirely complete yet, a number of key Audio components in
    the Vista architecture were not completed prior to Vista's release on
    the grounds they would of delayed the release date.  The Audio
    Components in question will likely be introduced into Vista in the first
    Service Pack.  For more information about your Creative Products and
    Windows Vista you may find the following resources insightful.

Microsoft strikes again..... sigh........

Friday, April 27, 2007 8:44 PM
  • Hello my friends! I have asus p4c800 deluxe motherboard with soundmax 1980 integrated.
    For long i tried to get  5.1 sound out, but only 2 front speakers were working..
    But then I Downloaded program called:  SRS AUDIO SANDBOX
    and get the 5.1 is working!

Hope this helps.. =)  

ps. still waiting for good Vista soundmax drivers..........

Sunday, April 29, 2007 10:26 AM
  • Hi All

I have had the same problem when running Vista, but I went into control panal > Sound and clicked configure button. I then setup my speakers fo 5.1 which they all tested fine. I then went to control panel > sound and clicked the properties button and the enancements tab and selected speaker fill. This then sends stereo sound to front and rear speakers if the output is only stereo

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Migo7 Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:25 PM
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 10:58 AM
  • Hi everyone, actually i'm having the same problem with VISTA and my Creative 24-bit external Sound Card.

If I try to install the bundled software that came in the box i can turn cmss on but it doesnt works properly. It makes bad sound mixing and the front speakers play rear sounds, the front right plays sounds that were sent for any speaker, and other issues so... I tried the ones from the Creative Page (the "Web page upgrade software" or smthing like that, last creative usb device drivers) and i tried both xp and vista drivers, none of theme fully worked.

If I install xp drivers i notice that i can turn cmss on, besides the upmixing fails and i get wrong sounds from the speakers (i.e.when playing a THX dvd i get bad results when playing the thx optimizer sound tests--> speakers gone mad) Also i can't select 5.1 speakers at win audio control panel, just stereo sound.

If I install vista drivers, i get cmss turned off and i cant get it on again, the option button dissapeared. But, in return i can select 5.1 speakers at win audio control panel, and the audio demo worked fine for all speakers, and the thx audio test also worked good, so did the dvd film. Still can't play mp3, or gaming audio through the 5 speakers, just 2.1 ;(

The last option was to uninstall all creative drivers and let vista use its Usb audio device drivers, that allowed me to select 5.1/4.1/stereo speakers and in the enancements tab there was an option "speaker fill", turned it on, and now i have some "hybrid" 5.1 sound. My dvd film plays good 5.1 sound, but the music, divx or games just plays (2 x)stereo sound through every pair of speakers, i noticed that when playing mp3 or divx, it tries to send the voice only through the center speaker ( that was little weird, because you could still hear the voice coming from any speaker but very low and a little electric, so weird)

Sorry for my english, and hope it helped.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 11:15 AM
  • i have had this same speaker problem with vista 64 bit on my asus motherboard p5n32-e sli looks like the sound problem i have had is a media player problem any other player i use sound comes from all   this is taking me back in time when xp first came out
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 10:41 PM
  • Same problem here and it is driving me mad. I have Vista Premium on a new Dell Inspiron 6400 with a Creative 24-bit Soundblaster external card hooked up to my Creative Inspire P580 5.1 speakers. When I do the creative or vista control panel sound test all the speakers work fine. If I load up Half Life 2, again, all the speakers work fine.

However, If I try to play my MP3's either through iTunes or Windows Media player the rear speakers are silent and the rest sound a little odd (dunno if that is because they are set to 5.1 but only playing stereo?)

I am waiting for new Creative soundcard drivers for Vista or a SP for Vista. Just wondering if anyone has found a workaround for this problem? Or is anyone from MS/Creative reading this and know the cause?

What have other peoples experiences been with this combo?

Thanks

Jimbob

Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:35 PM
  •  studly_steve007 wrote:

Hi All

I have had the same problem when running Vista, but I went into control panal > Sound and clicked configure button. I then setup my speakers fo 5.1 which they all tested fine. I then went to control panel > sound and clicked the properties button and the enancements tab and selected speaker fill. This then sends stereo sound to front and rear speakers if the output is only stereo

Hope this helps.

This has definately helped getting sound out of my rear speakers. Thanks for the tip. Only now I have another small problem. Those rear speakers only produce a very small amount of sound. about 10% the amount of the front speakers. Does vista include an option to adjust the sound levels per speaker and if so where can I find that particular option?
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 1:01 PM
  •  studly_steve007 wrote:

Hi All

Hope this helps.

Cheers! Got the same problem here, solved by applying your solution... I was kind of desperate here...! Thank you very much!

Saturday, June 16, 2007 10:00 AM
  • I have the same motherboard, asus P4s533-mx and I have the same problems with soundmax. Have U resolved the problem with the soundcard?
    If yes, can U tell me how-to-do?
    Regards
    Tuesday, July 03, 2007 2:01 PM
  • Yep, same thing. Ive tried for ages to GET the rear two working, and now they do but they are skipping and hardly working at all. But still, a great advancement i guess. And i know ive found somewhere how to change certain levels of speakers, but im guessing thats not our problem because the back two are skippy and scratchy. If ya get me.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:51 PM
  • Hi all...... I obviously have the same problem so I just use my LTB 5.1 Surround headphones.....  They work great!  Its not a solution but its a cheap solution until there is a fix.. Not to mention that the sound will blow your mind away!
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:19 PM
  • I checked "speaker fill" and now get sound out of back 2 speakers. (Have an Soundmax High Def Audio onboard ADI1988) BUT the sound is minimal, scratchy, primarily plays the music and very little voice. Is this a VISTA issue or an issue with people's sound cards? I've used every operating system. I don't recall ever having these issues with XP. Any updates anyone? Thanks.
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 10:02 PM
  • yep headphones sound like the only option for us all atm if we want 5.1 surround music and windows sounds. and you make a pretty convincing point anyway lol

have a read of this if anybody here hasnt yet too....finally things are explained..

http://www.openal.org/openal_vista.html

Sunday, July 22, 2007 10:24 PM
  • guys all you need to do is get quick time player and there is others out there my sound is full in any other player except media player so till there is a fix get the other players   i dont know about head phones sounds like a sales pitch
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 11:51 PM
  • Lol.... its not a sales pitch Im just offering my temp fix for the problem....  I told the model of the head phones because that is the model that I have and use...  Im sure there are other ones out there that work just as great but these, from all the reviews I read, are the cheapest with the best sound that dont require a video card....
    Monday, July 23, 2007 12:33 AM
  • understood joeyboby but we dont get suround sound speekers to wear head phones but i know what your saying we want the software fixed its all about muilti media and full function
    Monday, July 23, 2007 5:01 PM
  • 2nd response - just called company who buillt my PC. He stated (if I can translate this properly) that mp3's and other music files are recorded from a 2-channel source & this is how they are going to be played back. I jumped in & replied that my old PC w/XP & a creative sound card played the music equally (and very nicely) out of all 4 (Klipsch) speakers. His response; those (xp) drivers could replecate surround better. We came back around (I think) to what everyone is saying here - the compatibility of current sound cards w/Vista and how the drivers are written (HAL issue) produces the results (or lack of) that we are getting now. He told me when I get home to pop in a DVD and I should get sound out of all speakers. Meanwhile, I still think any and all sound should be able to come out of however many speakers one has w/o waiting for SP1 & other companies to hire engineers to figure Microsoft out and write better drivers. ALL of this s/h already been addressed when Vista was released. (my grumble) Does Apple have these kind of issues?
    Monday, July 23, 2007 7:19 PM
  •  JoJo83 wrote:

Hello my friends! I have asus p4c800 deluxe motherboard with soundmax 1980 integrated.
    For long i tried to get  5.1 sound out, but only 2 front speakers were working..

Hope this helps.. =)  

Thank you very much sir ! I have a SoundMax card and now the 5.1 sound is working perfectly !

Monday, July 30, 2007 2:06 PM
  •  JoJo83 wrote:

Hello my friends! I have asus p4c800 deluxe motherboard with soundmax 1980 integrated.

Hope this helps.. =)  

Thank you very much sir! This worked perfectly on my SoundMax card !

Monday, July 30, 2007 2:10 PM
  • same sound problem, no 5.1 with windows media player ... it's like we're going back in time .... can understand if microsoft didn't get a fix out the door right away but it's been 7 months since vista shipped and I can't believe they haven't found a workaround 

maybe they're saving the fix for the next version of windows so they can charge us to get our 5.1 back!

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 11:16 PM
  • the SRS Audio Soundmax does work..SORTOF..theres still the same weak output from the back speakers, but music overall sounds better and the back speakers, with some tweaking, can be sounding pretty good. We really shouldnt have to go through all this though, pretty stupid. And if your not hearing anything yet, make sure speaker fill is checked in your sound properties.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 7:06 AM
  • Hey guys. I came across this thread while looking for a cure to same old problem only mine goes back years!

My solution.
    I have two wires that plug into back of the Sub for the volume control dial, I simply unplugged one of them, problem solved.

Hope it helps.

Sunday, September 02, 2007 11:59 PM
  • I had the same problem in Vista and it took me awhile to analyze how am I going to solve it. I give up and check the internet for solutions for his Vista and 5.1 surround sound issue until I run into your message solutions. I did try your solutions and it works perfect..

My OS is  Vista 32 BIT and Realtek HD Audio

Thanks a Lot

Saturday, September 08, 2007 6:18 PM
  • im using vista 32bit on my dell xps m1210, i have logitech x-530 5.1 speakers, i have everything set up on a kensington 5.1 docking station, however i am not getting sound from my rear speakers. When i configure them the sound check works for the rear speakers, but whenever i play music or a movie i get nothing. When configuring in control panel for the sound, my docking station does not have an options tab to click on enhancements so i cant click on "speaker  fill" cuz it doesnt exist for this component..can anyone help?

Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:50 AM
  •  syborg1896 wrote:

HELP i've got the some problem i'm using a Sound Blaster Xterme Fidelity Sound Card on Microsoft Vista

I have configred the Sound in Windows Control Panel and Media Center ALL to 5.1 Surround Sound and the speakers work, well testing them they ALL work (2 front, 2 back, center and sub)

now when it comes it Game playing or Music player etc the 2 fronts work fine BUT the Rear 2 speakers, Center and Sub are all dead as Dodo's.

Now the software on CD that come with the Card works on XP but not Vista, well the driver is the only thing that works on Vista, the Mixer Program that comes on the CD and the program to Control it which would be on the Control Panel does'nt work either,

Can Someone point me the the right direction

I have exactly the same problem, but i'm using Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit on Microsoft XP Professional SP2...
    anyone have a solution?
    Tuesday, October 09, 2007 5:04 PM
  • Hi I hope this helps someone else out as I struggled with this for ages...

I am using a Media Centre that has the SoundMax AD1988 chipset in it and I eventually found these beta drivers on the Asus website, they weren't even under my motherboards drivers...

I am sure they won't work for everyone but hopefully help people out with the same integrated audio:

You can get them here they are the Beta drivers at the top.

Note if you are going to Use them for Media Centre don't enable Sonic Focus it caused all my MP3s to start getting a c00d11b1 error...

Cheers
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 1:21 AM
  •  

I am having a different problem, but this was the best site I came upon. I have 7.1 integrated audio that came in my dell xps 400. I have logitech z-5450 speakers for my surround sound speakers. I receive sound from all my speakers and my subwoofer, but its not surround sound. It is replicated stereo sound and weak, even during DVDs. I went to control panel ->sound->configure, and clicked on 5.1, but when doing the test, no sound came out of my center, sub and rear speakers. Im pretty sure this is why no surround sound, but does anyone know how to fix this? Any help is appreciated. Thank You.
    Friday, October 26, 2007 6:18 PM
  •  

I've lost surround sound in XP SP2. I can't find an XP forum to report it in though.

I can change my speaker setup to 5.1 surround sound speakers, but that's forgotten next time I start up.

I can't configure speakers in Creative Volume Control any more. The speaker / headphone selection is blank.

I have an audigy 2 soundcard connected via a digital din cable to a creative inspire 5.1 external decoder.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Friday, November 02, 2007 3:56 AM
  • Yeah I fixed my problem from the control volume dial to. Turns out when Matrix is turned on it elimates surround sound.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 4:22 AM
  • I also had this Vista surround sound problem but I managed to fix it Smile

This is how I fixed this problem!

Start -> Kontrollpanel -> Realtek HD soundconfiguration -> Standardformat (It's a flik existing in the window that comes up) 

Then I could either push "Cd-format" or "DVD-format" or select my audio output from a list above them.

I figured out that any audio output with 24 Bits didn't give any surround sound so you'll have to choose an output with 16 Bits for it to work properly.

I choose: "16 Bits, 1920000 Hz (Studioquality)"

It works perfecly now Smile

Hope this helps!

Friday, March 14, 2008 6:56 PM
  • I have same problem. Had my surround sound 5.1 working fine. Was using headphones for awhile and didn't notice when my drivers got over written.Now i only have a two speaker configeration in the sound setup screen and my expensive sound system is useless.

Monday, June 23, 2008 8:58 PM
  •  

Thanks, Larry Osterman.  I've been fighting this in VistaUlt for over a year and you got me straight by checking:

<rt click tray vol icon>Playback Devices/SpeakersHP/Properties/Dolby/Dolby ProLogic II.  Why doesn't it default to this!

On similar topic, others may want to know that Intel Audio Studio is not stable with Vista and the Intel DG965OT motherboard.  Use the IDT driver and their "IDT Audio Control Panel", AUD_allOS_5790.3x_5713.7v_PV_IDTGUI.exe.

Friday, July 04, 2008 8:13 PM
  • It doesn't default to this because we have no way of knowing if an AV receiver supports Dolby (or any other format).  That requires information that simply isn't available over the S/PDIF link.

Saturday, July 05, 2008 12:17 AM
  • Great response from creative however there is one flaw. The vista sp-1 update is from what I found out is not complete either. The update is not a click and install like others. You have to go into your system files and disable everything, which I did. After about 12 combinations I found one that works. Finally, I thought I was done, wrong. The update was not compatible and the rundll32 stopped working. Micrsoft told me I had to un-install everything on my pc that didn't come with it and maybe the update would install correctly. What a solution, I think they do stupid pills in mass quantities.

Microsoft had no fixes, and their tech support is a joke, they blew me off and didn't have a clue about the probem, or have a fix. Even though many are having the same problems with the sp-1 update. Sadly, I never got to see if sp-1 fixed my sound problems and I finally had to un-install it because vista and sp-1 are ***.

Why, don't all the vista users with problems world wide, get together, and file a class action suit or something against microsoft. We could team up with all the audio/sound companies and sue and force microsoft into not releasing any more windows versions etc until they are completed first. Nothing like taking no pride in your work and knowinly putting out garbage. Why can't companies who corner a market be held to a higher standard?

Saturday, July 05, 2008 2:14 AM
  •  Jimbob666 wrote:

Same problem here and it is driving me mad. I have Vista Premium on a new Dell Inspiron 6400 with a Creative 24-bit Soundblaster external card hooked up to my Creative Inspire P580 5.1 speakers. When I do the creative or vista control panel sound test all the speakers work fine. If I load up Half Life 2, again, all the speakers work fine.

However, If I try to play my MP3's either through iTunes or Windows Media player the rear speakers are silent and the rest sound a little odd (dunno if that is because they are set to 5.1 but only playing stereo?)

I am waiting for new Creative soundcard drivers for Vista or a SP for Vista. Just wondering if anyone has found a workaround for this problem? Or is anyone from MS/Creative reading this and know the cause?

What have other peoples experiences been with this combo?

Thanks

Jimbob

Well, I have finally fixed this. A complete laptop reinstallation with Vista Premium, an install of the latest drivers from Creative (USB_VTDRV_LB_1_01_0002.exe) and configured the speakers in the sound applet for 5.1 sorted it.

However, I have another problem. There is this intermittent 'clicking' throughout mp3 playback. Intermittently I get a 'click-click-click-click' sound over the top of the song. Off to troubleshoot that one..

P.S I used the CD rather than Dell's factory image restore program. I wanted to start with a completely clean slate.
    Saturday, July 05, 2008 10:36 AM
  • Thanks Eleot!
    It really does work.

I knew my 5.1 could work but overtime I must've changed the settings.
    The weird thing is that turning off matrix activates the surround test.
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:20 PM
  • I've tried several soundmax drivers for my asus mobo and could not get a soundmax utility. Also even though windows will play test sounds through all the speakers(5.1) I could not get any sound from any but the front left and right speakers when i tried to play any media (mp3.avi. ect).
    I was getting very frustrated. Finally I found this site http://www.msfn.org/board/SoundMAX-Audio-Driver-v510016110-v5-t109404.html. Download the Beta drivers and install. after restart configure the soundmax utility first (5.1 or what ever you have). Then configure the windows playback devices to suit your system. Worked like a charm for me!!
    Man this was a show stopper for server 2008 workstation in my opinion. Ive got to have my tunes!!!
    good luck.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:26 PM
  • Ok this seems to work for me on my Logitech G15 Speakers. Before this my old speakers I would have to take off the rear speaker jack off my sound card to hear sound from all 5 of my speakers.

The only thing with turning off the Matrix option I found in this is that I cant get them to work for Windows Media Player, iTunes, and other assorted media players.

Though for testing on the control panel all 6 speakers work. The rear and center speaker are a lot lower in volume than the front right and left. They do work for testing but not for any applications.

So I guess this is a 1/2 fix/solution.

Note:

I just did a little more tampering and noticed althought when you shut off the Matrix the speaker test all functions. But while you are playing music and turn on Matrix to either Gaming or Music you can utilize the 2 front and 2 rear speakers. The center one still does not work.

Please let me know if anyone finds out a way to work the rest of the speakers.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:11 PM
  • hey! what's da problem i have with my spakers i don't hear any sound from them i can't listen to the music tell me what to do...please thank u!!!

Friday, September 05, 2008 4:30 AM
  • What if I have disabled those speakers ( disable pc speakers disable speakers ) and this icon isn't there anymore, is deleted ????
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:24 PM
  • What if I have disabled those speakers ( disable pc speakers disable speakers ) and this icon isn't there anymore, is deleted ????

You can go to this website for the next http://www.234o.com
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 7:05 AM
  • Have you configured the audio engine to use 5.1 surround mode?  Start the sound control panel (right click on volume in the tray, select "Playback"), then select your speakers.

In the bottom left, there's a button marked "configure", select that, it should give you the option of enabling multichannel sound (assuming that your driver supports it).

You can go to this website for the next http://www.234o.com
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 7:06 AM
  • You can go to this website for the next http://www.234o.com
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 7:07 AM
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 7:07 AM
  • Hmmm I have the same problem with my old SB live 5.1 card in W7 pro (using XP drivers) on my old 32-bit PC. It plays surround sound great for DVDs, but only plays stereo for mp3s. But the same 5.1 speakers work perfectly (for all sound sources) on my new 64-bit PC using it's on-board sound codec. So I suspect that it's probably that the Creative drivers and Vista/W7 OSs don't work together well (or as well as they should do).

Allan

Big Al
    Monday, August 08, 2011 4:17 PM
  • BTW. Can I replace the small satelite speakers on my 5.1 speaker system with the physically larger speakers from my hi-fi (which have a higher wattage handling capacity) and generally sound better?
    Or is there something special about 5.1 satellite speakers?
    It would mean cutting the plugs of the satellite speakers and putting them on the hi-fi speakers. Actually, two of the [four] 'hi fi' speakers are actually high-power handling PA/disco speakers. The other two are normal hi-fi speakers. I am hoping that I can replace the four satellite speakers with my hi-fi speakers in conjunction with the powered sub-woofer of the 5.1 system.

Allan

Big Al
    Monday, August 08, 2011 4:19 PM