none
Unable to uninstall "Microsoft Windows for Windows 7 Common Utilities (30514)"

Question

• I'm trying to install the SDK 7.1, however my first attempt failed and now every time I start the setup I'm told I have to uninstall the common utilities first. Trouble is, there is no entry in the add/remove programs to uninstall them with.

Any help getting this removed so I can continue would be most appreciated.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:30 AM

All replies

• Check http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowssdk/thread/24ee577b-b401-4a4a-9830-3de7fe891b68

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:01 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the post linked requires use of a download file that is not available from MS any longer.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:23 PM
  • It must be a share component, not a standalone product. You can uninstall it using msiexec if you know the component id.

I suggest you to try http://forum.installsite.net to see if there are some tools to list installed MSI components.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Proposed as answer by DavS22 Sunday, August 19, 2012 6:10 PM
    Friday, March 04, 2011 6:44 AM
  • I have the same problem that required to uninstall "Microsoft Windows for Windows 7 Common Utilities (40715)" and I've resolved it.

1. Go to registry editor.

2. Search using the string in quotes above.

3. Found a key look like \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\......\InstallProperties   that contain a value DisplayName with data is the string in quotes.

in this key there's a value LocalPackage with data is the file path to the installer (look like "C:\Windows\Installer\..... .msi"

4. Go to the installer found, right-click and select Uninstall to uninstall product.

After uninstalling, I can install the SDK normally.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 5:06 AM