none
Changing MSCONFIG settings

Question

• When I fist saw Vista I liked the interface that I saw.

I understand that something had to be done to address the security issues in XP.

But why have MS gone overboard?

I am also a Linux user and when you try to run an administrator program it asks for an administrator password.  It does not ask for a username and a password.  Linux does not have many security issues, which given that it is open source which means anyone could, I repeat could, see exactly how it works is in itself surprising.

Now to my point with MSCONFIG.

I have recently installed a program that runs in background and runs a scheduled service.

The program was installing a system tray icon which was being blocked from running.   Used MSCONFIG to remove the tray icon which in itself was not necessary as the service was running anyway.

After that when I logged on again (domain based logon) I had the warning that I had used MSCONFIG to change settings [not a problem with that].  I was allowed to change the setting back to normal startup after supplying the administrator credentials.  So that should be that.  But no....  Next time I logged on MSCONFIG was blocked and the changed settings had reverted to selctive startup.  In this setting mode the <apply> button was greyed out but that hasn't always been a problem has it.

Accepting that this behaviour might be because I am not an administrator I log on as an administrator [strange that I cannot log on as local administrator but can log on as the administrator of my domain server] and go through the resetting of MSCONFIG to run normal start up.  I log off and log back on and the settings have reverted to selective startup.  I try again with the same result.

Third time I look again at the selective startup options.  The first box is ticked.  The second box is blocked out (inherited?).  The third box - doesn't matter.  The <apply> button greyed out.  I change the second box to a tick.  The <apply> button now usable so I click it.  Screen resets to normal startup.  Log off.  Log back on - all is as it should be.

So my whinges.

As a normal user running an administrative program, supplying administrator credentials should be equivalent to logging on as administrator and running the program.

As a non admin user, if the program allows me to change the settings it should change them.  If I do not have permission to change the settings it should not prompt me for the admin password it should either not let me or tell me I don't have permission.  It should not let me change them and then do nothing about it.

As an admin user if I say change to normal startup then it should change it.  Clicking the button to say normal startup is the same as changing the selective button to allow.  As both are equivalent they should be compatible alternatives.

Come on MS.  I know you had to fix some problems to make it less easy for rogue action but when you make it almost impossible for legitimate users to change their system it is too much.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 11:05 AM