none
"Do Not Replace Search Companion with Windows Desktop Search" doesn't work on WDS 3.0?

All replies

• WDS 3.0 doesn't currently support group policy. The future update to it, WDS 3.01, will have Group Policy support. Until then, please use WDS 2.6.6 to run with Group Policy.

Thanks,

David Peng

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 1:29 AM
  • If I understand it correctly I need WDS 3.0 to use Outlook 2007.

Is there another option how to switch back to the old search using WDS 3.0 without group policies?

Sunday, January 14, 2007 8:58 AM
  •  
    WDS 3.01 doesn't seem to support this policy either.

How else can we use the standard windows search companion on machines with WDS 3.01 installed?

Carl.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 12:33 AM
  • You can re-enable the search companion by setting the following reg key as described below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\DS

ShowStartSearchBand -> 0 = Classic mode (aka doggy)

If you do it for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE it will be for all users (unless they set their own).  Our old index options dialog would set this (and there used to be a group policy which would set this.)

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 1:59 AM
  • Thank you very very very very very much Eric.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:42 AM
  • I just spent 45 minutes trying to get the desktopsearch adm out of the installer, since it doesn't install the group policy adm by default. And, as you posted, the option is not there to disable it. Thank you very, very much for the workaround!!!!! I can't believe that this would be disabled with the 'required' update to 3.0 for Office 2007.  Then again, maybe I can.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:23 PM
  • Thanx Eric.

It really helped me to turn off WDS.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:02 AM