none
peer to peer versus client server

Question

•  

hey guys i have an assignment to do about the advantages/disadvantages of peer to peer networks and client server networks and which one is better, but im struggling a bit. could any of you guys give me some info please

thanks

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 12:44 PM

All replies

• There could be lots of info, and one of them could be http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc297274.aspx. Please see the "What Is Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Computing" section on the link.

Friday, December 12, 2008 12:20 AM
  • hi i just wanted post you this information to help you with the networks. client to client is better network :-)

Types of Networks

Peer to Peer Network

Client Server Network

Advantages

Advantages

Allows two or PCs to pool their resources together.

Centralized - Resources and data security are controlled through the server.

Can be built with both 10BaseT cabling and a hub or with a thin coax backbone.

Network access speeds are usually faster than those found on peer-to-peer networks.

Drives can be easily shared between peer-to-peer PCs.

Interoperability - All components (client/network/server) work together.

Applications only need to be installed on one computer.

Flexibility - New technology can be easily integrated into system.

Reduced cost (the costs involved in such a network are hardware, cabling and maintenance.

It’s more secure because if a client wants to communicate with another client he/she has to message to he/she and then it will first sent to the file server, where it is then routed to its destination.

Well tested simplicity.

Scalability - Any or all elements can be replaced individually as needs increase.

Setup - An operating system (such as Windows XP) already in place may only need to be reconfigured for peer-to-peer operations.

Accessibility - Server can be accessed remotely and across multiple platforms.

Less initial expense - No need for a dedicated server.

Peer-to-peer is, by far the easiest type of network to build for either home or office use.

Each computer can make backup copies of its data to other computers for security.

Network is fast and inexpensive to setup and maintain.

Disadvantages

Disadvantages

Lack of security - They are less secure than client-server networks, especially so because the files have to shared and no password is required.

Can cause network congestion by adding more users

No computer in the network is reliable

Higher than anticipated costs

This system is not centralized, making administration difficult.

Maintenance - Large networks will require a staff to ensure efficient operation

It is more time consuming to maintain the software on individual computers

Dependence - When server goes down, operations will cease across the network

Peer-to-peer networks are designed for a small number of users. Network speed and performance starts to deteriorate usually after more than 10 computers are on the network. This makes it difficult to grow the network when the need to add more computers on the network becomes unavoidable.

Lack of scalability - network operating systems (e.g... Novell Netware, Windows NT Server) are not very scalable.

Possibility of not discovering all peers

Friday, January 30, 2009 3:27 PM
  • What is the reference for this information?? I am doing a paper and I used this same information and need to find the reference for it. . .

Trish Long

tltrishlong@gmail.com

Saturday, February 05, 2011 3:40 AM
  • Original book is here http://www.scribd.com/doc/42289482/What-is-a-Network-Operating-System
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 10:38 PM