none
Microphone 'currently unavailable' on windows 8

Question

• I have been trying to record my external turtle beach microphone for a while. The microphone appears in my sound devices as an external microphone but has a red arrow next to it and is displayed as 'currently unavailable' and it does not record my speech and does not appear in my devices tab in dxtory. All drivers are up to date.

How can I get the microphone to allow me to record?

• Edited by yackob Saturday, May 18, 2013 2:26 PM
    Saturday, May 18, 2013 2:16 PM

All replies

• A red arrow usually means the device is disconnected. What is the physical connection between the audio device and the computer? Is it USB, or are you plugging it into a 3.5 mm analog jack on the computer?

Matthew van Eerde

Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:38 AM
  • I am using the turtle beach x11s which are an older model connected through a y splitter into my single 3.5mm jack, the more modern gaming headsets have a single cable and I spoke to the people in the store and they said a y splitter would sort my issue however it did not. My speakers work fine however my microphone doesn't work at all even if I plug it in on its own without plugging in the speakers. It runs perfectly fine in my windows xp laptop.

Sunday, May 19, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Let me make sure I understand your hardware setup.

You have a Windows PC with a single jack that can be used for those kinds of headsets that have both headphones and a microphone on them, and which have a 3.5 mm connector with three black stripes.

The headset itself has two separate 3.5 mm connectors: a green one for the headphone and a pink one for the microphone. Each of these has two black stripes (or the microphone may have only one.)

You have a Y-splitter which has a 3.5 mm connector with three black stripes on one end, which you are plugging into your Windows PC. It also has two 3.5 mm jacks, into which you have plugged your old-style headset.

Right so far?

Matthew van Eerde

Sunday, May 19, 2013 6:08 PM
  • The only thing that is incorrect there is that the y splitter has two black stripes not three could this be the issue?

Sunday, May 19, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Yup, that's the problem. If the connector Y-splitter has two black stripes, and not three, then what you have is a stereo <-> mono + mono Y-splitter. You can confirm that by plugging two ordinary headphones into the jacks of the Y-splitter, going to the Sound control panel, and playing a test tone on the Speakers output.

You will hear the rising L tone on both ears of one of the sets of headphones, and the falling R tone on both ears of the other set of headphones.

If your computer jack supports TRRS-style headsets (common in cell phones and tablets) then you need to look for a Y-splitter that has three black stripes on the connector. Of the two other ends, one will be stereo-playback, and the other will be mono-recording.

It looks like the Turtle Beach x11 has two black stripes on its microphone connector, so it's probably capable of stereo recording, but that will be folded down to mono when you plug it in to the Y-splitter.

Matthew van Eerde

Sunday, May 19, 2013 10:36 PM
  • Mathew, I have the same message with the red arrow, however my micrphone is built in my laptop and it just stopped working after I plugged external speakers. What can I do?
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:44 AM
  • You have a built-in microphone that has a red arrow? That's very strange.

Matthew van Eerde

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:46 PM