none
Desktop Search - Errors

Question

•  

I recently installed Windows Desktop Search 4.0, for Windows XP.  (WindowsSearch-KB940157-XP-x86-enu.exe)

I get the following error, just as the installation completes, and every time I boot.

WindowsSearch.exe - Ordinal Not Found : The ordinal 49 could not be located in the dynamic link library MAPI32.dll.

I also can not remove the program as the Windows Search update does not show up in add/remove programs.

Any suggestions?

If it's useful, here are some related error messages from the applog.  I tried the various links for help, but, they all go nowhere.  I'm not sure why it can't access the documents, the path it lists is correct.

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 26
    Date:  6/17/2008
    Time:  8:05:42 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: CIGAR-KING
    Description:
    Application popup: WindowsSearch.exe - Ordinal Not Found : The ordinal 49 could not be located in the dynamic link library MAPI32.dll.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Windows Search Service
    Event Category: Gatherer
    Event ID: 3083
    Date:  6/17/2008
    Time:  10:01:20 AM
    Description:
    The protocol handler Search.Mapi2Handler.1 cannot be loaded. Error description: .

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Warning
    Event ID: 3036
    Date:  6/16/2008
    Time:  4:34:39 PM
    Description:
    The content source <c:\documents and settings\> cannot be accessed.

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
     The protocol handler cannot be found. Check that the handler has been installed.   (0x80040d1a)

Event Type: Error
    Event ID: 3024
    Date:  6/16/2008
    Time:  4:34:23 PM
    Description:
    The update cannot be started because the content sources cannot be accessed. Fix the errors and try the update again.

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:15 PM

All replies

• One more thing...I have run fixmapi, and it does not seem to make any difference.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:17 PM
  • Strange. Which version of Outlook do you have installed? Perhaps you could try running Repair on your Office installation from Add / Remove Programs ...?

Dave Wood

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:59 PM
  • I have Outlook 2003 (part of Office 2003) installed, but I don't use it.  (although I use Office (Word, Excel, etc) everyday)

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:14 PM
  • I am experiancing the same error imediatley after Microsoft Search is installed and during each boot. If I uninstall search the problem with the messqge goes away. However, if I leave it installed no indexing takes place.  I have tried Desktop Search 3.1 and Seach 4.0 with same behavior on both versions.  I am running Office 2007.  Outlook 2007 requires this functionality to perform its search.  Does anyone have any ideas? 
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:39 PM
  • Same problem here.  The popup about missing ordinal 49 of mapi32.dll appears during each boot.  In the application log, just a few seconds after Windows Search Service starts, are these errors from Windows Search Service, category "Gatherer" (2-3 of each):

The protocol handler Search.Mapi2Handler.1 cannot be loaded.

The protocol handler Search.FileHandler.1 cannot be loaded.

Indexing is not occurring.  Under Indexing Options, it shows Documents and Settings and Outlook Express as the locations indexed, but it says at the top "0 items indexed.  Indexing complete."

I have the same configuration as Cigar King:  Office 2003 installed, but I don't use Outlook.  (My normal email is Thunderbird.)  I tried running Repair on Office, but that had no effect.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 6:49 AM
  • I have the same problem here.  I have Office 2000 installed and no Outlook (I use Eudora).  Is Outlook necessary for WindowsSearch to work and does it need be Outlook from Office 2003 ? 

Friday, August 01, 2008 9:24 AM
  • I believe the following describes the root of the problem and will fix the problem, and I think what I say below is accurate, from wrestling with similar problems and experiencing the same problem you are now. I am not a computer whiz, so pardon the lack of mysterious jargon and undetailed and therefore useless "help", but I suppose that also means it would be helpful if someone else confirms what I say below.

Ordinals in mapi32 are instructions for the computer.

Microsoft created this mess by updating mapi32.dll in early Windows updates, inactivating the programs of other software manufacturers that use mapi32.dll, causing them to include in their software versions of mapi32.dll that overwrite pre-existing versions of mapi32.dll, causing a never-ending cycle of software overwriting and inactivating other software. Microsoft then walked away from the problem they created by not including mapi32.dll updates or fixes in their recent Windows updates. This is the basic problem you are dealing with.

Eudora  v7, for example, overwrites the XP mapi32 with a version only half-sized, therefore missing half the instructions of the XP mapi32. The Eudora version of mapi 32 allowed Outlook Express to continue to function, but when this was replaced by Windows Live Mail recently, the missing instructions resulting in "missing ordinals" error messages. Ditto for the new Desktop Search.

You can fix the problem two ways:

1) Go to"'REMOVE PROGRAMS", at the top, check the box "show updates", and choose "Sort by Date Last Used", and you will find the offending "Desktop Search" update in the "Windows XP Software Update" category as "Hotfix for XP BB91500", with the date given matching the date you installed the update. Remove the update. If problems persist after reboot, run a RESTORE to a date before the update was installed.

2) Get a MAPI32.dll that supports all your software. If you can. You won't know if you succeeded until you try all the software that uses mapi32.dll, and you will be quessing as to what that software is. You can find replacement "dll" files for free on the internet using search engines. The one I got for the problem affecting Windows Live Mail, caused by installation of Eudora, allows both of those programs to work but does not allow Desktop Search to work. A full-functioned mapi32.dll should be about 145 kb or larger. The mapi32.dll file involved in these problems is found in the /Windows/System 32 folder. Alternatively, you can take advantage of the fact that many programs save (renamed) the old version of mapi32.dll when they overwrite it with their own version. My computer has overwritten and saved mapi32.dll at least twice, and the old versions are renamed mapi32.000 and mapi32.001. You can use one of these old versions to "probably" recover the original XP mapi32.dll or another previous mapi32.dll version that will work with all programs. By all means, save copies of all mapi32.dll versions before you mess with them, so you can undo mistakes!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Sunday, August 03, 2008 3:58 PM
  • It appears that Eudora was the culprit, in that it did replace my version of MAPI with a newer version.  I solved the problem by copying a version of mapi32 from the i386 directory.  After I did this, and rebooted, both Eudora and Windows Desktop Search worked fine.  I did modify the following lines in my Eudora config file as well.

MAPIUseNever=1
    MAPIUseAlways=0

Monday, August 11, 2008 6:35 PM
  • Thank you for your suggestion.  Where did you find this mapi32.ddl file ?  I see no i386 directory on my computer.  I looked at the WinXP instalation disk where there is a i386 folder.  However, I did not find a mapi32.ddl file ... I made a full search).

Regards,

Paul

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:03 AM
  • It is mapi32.dll, not mapi32.ddl

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:50 PM
  • Yep that's what was causing my problem after trying to use The Bat! as my default emailer.

Many thanks for the help.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 10:56 PM