none
Teredo Tunneling Adapter won't start

Question

• I have a new windows7 64 bit machine with the following message regarding the Teredo Tunneling Adapter: This device will not start (code 10).

The driver tests out as being okay.

I don't even know what the purpose of this device is.  That said, I disabled it while I search for answers.

I am using ZoneAlarm  for my fire wall.  Seems I saw a conversation about a possible conflict with this fire wall and a fix! Can't find it now.

Love to know (a) What the function of this device is and, (b) if it is needed (which I assume it is, or why the hay bales would it be installed on our machines?) how to go about turning it back on!

This concludes my first post here on Microsoft- I look forward to quick, intelligent, and informed replies!

Saturday, February 13, 2010 11:43 PM

Answers

• What you have is a problem in your registry with the ipv6 protocol.  It's answered here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/e24b20ba-b1f1-48f0-880b-2288cdd837de

I will post it here in case there is a problem with the link.  Once I followed the instructions the taredo tunneling with its warning triangle disappeared from my device manager completely, and I was again able to set up my home network.  I uninstalled Zone Alarm.

1. Temporarily disable Firewall and third party antivirus program on the computer for a test.

2. Verify relevant services

=========================

a. Click "Start", type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in Search Bar and press Enter.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

b. Right click the "Peer Networking Grouping " service and choose Properties.

c. Please check if the service is started; if not, please click the Start button and see if it works.

d. You may also choose Automatic next to Startup type.

e. Click OK.

f. Please repeat the above steps with another service: PNRP Machine Name Publication Service .

3. Modify IPv6 registry key to enable IPV6

==========================

a. Click Start, type regedit in Search Bar, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue. 

b. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters

c. Check whether the "DisabledComponents" registry key exists. If so, let's move on the next steps.

d. Double click the "DisabledComponents" registry key and modify the value to 0 .

(If the key doesn't exist, please create the key above and assign the value 0 )

e. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

For more information, we can refer to the link below:

How to disable certain Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) components in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008

Thanks,

Novak

• Edited by centsless Friday, February 26, 2010 2:12 AM misspelling
    • Marked as answer by 12thHouseFull Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:20 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 2:11 AM
  • The Teredo Adapter does disappear from the device manager which means everything is good. If you are using the advanced Zone Alarm, which you pay for, follow the forum instructions from their site to activate IPv6. If you are using the free version, forget it and get Comodo instead.
    • Marked as answer by 12thHouseFull Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:17 PM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 2:03 AM

All replies

• What you have is a problem in your registry with the ipv6 protocol.  It's answered here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/e24b20ba-b1f1-48f0-880b-2288cdd837de

I will post it here in case there is a problem with the link.  Once I followed the instructions the taredo tunneling with its warning triangle disappeared from my device manager completely, and I was again able to set up my home network.  I uninstalled Zone Alarm.

1. Temporarily disable Firewall and third party antivirus program on the computer for a test.

2. Verify relevant services

=========================

a. Click "Start", type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in Search Bar and press Enter.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

b. Right click the "Peer Networking Grouping " service and choose Properties.

c. Please check if the service is started; if not, please click the Start button and see if it works.

d. You may also choose Automatic next to Startup type.

e. Click OK.

f. Please repeat the above steps with another service: PNRP Machine Name Publication Service .

3. Modify IPv6 registry key to enable IPV6

==========================

a. Click Start, type regedit in Search Bar, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue. 

b. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters

c. Check whether the "DisabledComponents" registry key exists. If so, let's move on the next steps.

d. Double click the "DisabledComponents" registry key and modify the value to 0 .

(If the key doesn't exist, please create the key above and assign the value 0 )

e. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

For more information, we can refer to the link below:

How to disable certain Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) components in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008

Thanks,

Novak

• Edited by centsless Friday, February 26, 2010 2:12 AM misspelling
    • Marked as answer by 12thHouseFull Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:20 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 2:11 AM
  • Greetings,

It’s been a while, but I am back on my new Windows 7 machine and trying out the above solutions.

Having never ventured into any of the areas that this “fix” was sending me (not a tech/geek), I must admit to a bit of trepidation. That said, the instructions were excellent and easy to follow.

After restarting my machine, I checked my Device Manager and the error message is gone along with the Teredo Tunneling Adapter. Does this mean the problem is corrected?

Should I enable my Zone Alarm firewall again? I originally installed it after research seemed to point to it being a better choice than the Windows firewall.

Finally, what is (or was) the purpose of the Teredo Tunneling Adapter and why did I have to remove it rather than simply disabling it? Or, did I do something wrong - meaning, should it still be listed in the Device Manager?

Thank you for your patience with this technical novice. Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

~g~
    • Edited by 12thHouseFull Friday, March 12, 2010 1:47 AM format correction
    Friday, March 12, 2010 1:34 AM
  • The Teredo Adapter does disappear from the device manager which means everything is good. If you are using the advanced Zone Alarm, which you pay for, follow the forum instructions from their site to activate IPv6. If you are using the free version, forget it and get Comodo instead.
    • Marked as answer by 12thHouseFull Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:17 PM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 2:03 AM
  • I was using the free version of Zone Alarm but took your advice, got rid of it and installed Comodo as my firewall.  The Comodo firewall is much more interactive.  Great advice - Thank you!
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:15 PM
  • Is this related to the 6to4 adapter in Vista? I ask because the driver seems to be called tunnel.sys or something like that.

Anyway, it has a yellow warning triangle against it in hardware manager.

My laptop died completely a week ago (the pc repair guy told me it was the onboard NVidia GPU and it was irreparable - he's probably right ) and then it miraculously started working again! Obviously, I've been careful not to leave it running for long periods since, and I've backed up all my data against the day it dies permanently. But then I noticed this warning. It was probably there all along, but I wasn't looking for it before.

• Proposed as answer by centsless Friday, April 23, 2010 8:05 PM
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 9:56 AM
  • Steve Thomas, I can refer you to:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistahardware/thread/4af4def6-b7ee-4e27-ad74-620bc73135b6

Your problem does not seem to be the toredo, shall we call it a syndrome, but does seem to be IPv4/6 related.

From the above forum link, I would first try submitted by "bad mouth:"

To solve this problem with 6To4 adapter device with code 31, make sure you do the following:

1). Make sure you have all the updates installed for vista, such as, Important and Recommend updates.

2). [Right Click] my computer icon, and select (properties).

3). Select (Device Manager).

4). [Right Click] on the 6To4 icon, and select (Update Driver Software).

5). Click [Browse my computer for software drivers].

6). Click [Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer].

You should see the Microsoft 6To4 adapter listed?

If not you must uncheck the [] box show compatible hardware.

7). Then scroll down the list of Manufacture until you find (Microsoft), NOT Microsoft Corporation!

8). Click on (Microsoft) as the Manufacture and scroll down about two clicks, you should see 6To4 adapter.

9). [Left Click] on Microsoft 6To4 adapter and (Click Next), it should load the drivers as normally.

• Edited by centsless Friday, April 23, 2010 8:17 PM forgot to address the targeted questioner
    Friday, April 23, 2010 8:13 PM
  • Thanks for the fix, Centsless!

I followed your instructions and don't have the error message anymore.  I am still using my paid version of ZoneAlarm Extreme Security.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 1:04 PM
  • GREAT HELP thnx alot!!! easy steps and quick fix!The Teredo Adapter does disappears after the fix because it is a hidden device,it only shows with a yellow flag because there is a problem. once your done the fix and want to see it.....

1 go to device manager

2 then view and click show hidden devices

3 then network adapters and it will be there

Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:44 AM
  • Thanks for your help, centsless. I have Windows 7, 64bit OS installed and also had the same problem with "Teredo Tunneling Adapter". I followed your instructions and, sure enough, it fixed the problem. Thanks.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Hi Novak,

You're a flipping genius. I was going crazy trying to get ipv6 working on my Windows 7 64 bit system. And after noticing that the teredo adapter failed to start, I found your answer via Google. Did what you said and now just passed the ipv6 online test, just in time for world ipv6 day.

Thank you for posting this!

Jerry

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 8:44 PM
  • what if I'm using Norton 360?  I want to follow the directions but I'm currently using Norton 360
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:12 AM
  • OK, computer dummy here. I fight with this damned machine every day and I've been trying to get this teredo business straightened out for forever. I followed all the instructions including creating a new key, but I don't know how to enter a value of "0." Right-clicking the key shows several value options, (I assumed it was a binary value), nothing happens. but nothing happens when I click one.  
    Monday, May 14, 2012 5:39 PM