none
Make 64-bit Vista run 32-bit software

Question

•  

64-bit versions of Windows should have a shell to run 32-bit programs withen 64-bit Windows.  You could even make a virtual file system to work withen a new file system.  Maybee even run Windows XP withen a 32-bit shell.  Just a suggestion.
    Sunday, March 09, 2008 9:27 PM

All replies

• Actually, 64-bit Windows can run 32-bit programs.  No 16-bit support on 64-bit, though.
    Monday, March 10, 2008 10:34 AM
  • Actually the site www.ntcompatible.com takes post on software compatibility and there is very poor compatibility with 64-bit Vista.  There is another site http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Software_Compatibility_List

Shows minimal support for software running in 64-bit Vista.  I think that they should implement a shell that works like the XP compatability tool that would run Windows NT, 95, 98, 2000, ME, and XP.  It should be a 32-bit emulator of sorts.  If Microsoft revolutionizes the file system of Windows there should be an emulated file system compatible with aformentioned OS's software.

Monday, March 10, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Provided the 32-bit app in question doesn't have 32-bit kernel drivers, isn't a plugin for a system process (explorer, ie, both of which are 64-bit on 64-bit Vista, so a 32-bit plugin hosted in-process isn't going to work), and isn't grovelling or writing into other processes' address spaces, doesn't have 16-bit components, and works well on 32-bit Vista, you can usually expect the app to work on 64-bit Vista.

Even this software compatability list you pointed at shows a relatively small number of apps that display problems on 64-bit Vista, but not on 32-bit Vista.

Monday, March 10, 2008 6:43 PM
  • Ok, I think I can answer my own question.  It is simple.  Make two seperate partitions to run Vista-64 and XP-32 and dual-boot. I think that would run just about everything.  The only problem is Microsoft won't make XP very much longer.  Anyway, can Windows XP Proffesional 32-bit run on a 64-bit machine?

Monday, March 10, 2008 10:07 PM
  • Yes.  The x86_64/amd64 style chips are capable of running both 32-bit and 64-bit OSes.

Monday, March 10, 2008 10:45 PM
  • Not sure why i read everywhere that 64bit hardware should run 32bit software but this is a question of software. Using only one example the one thing i really want to fix is the Palm desktop sync. Palm desktop runs no problem but I'm unable to sync using vista home premium it refuses to recognize my Centro no matter what i do. is there a 32 bit emulator i can run XP in? Also if I'm running that would it recognize anything i plug into a USB port or will that be snatched up by the OS running the emulator before it reaches it?

Saturday, August 30, 2008 12:26 PM
  • Not sure why i read everywhere that 64bit hardware should run 32bit software but this is a question of software. Using only one example the one thing i really want to fix is the Palm desktop sync. Palm desktop runs no problem but I'm unable to sync using vista home premium it refuses to recognize my Centro no matter what i do. is there a 32 bit emulator i can run XP in? Also if I'm running that would it recognize anything i plug into a USB port or will that be snatched up by the OS running the emulator before it reaches it?

You can always try running Windows XP or Vista 32 bit inside a virtual machine .. like the VMWare .. provided your machine has the resources for it.
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 6:36 PM