none
msvcp71.dll missing

Question

• Hi,

My product expects msvcp71.dll to be present on the target windows machine, but unfortunately my customers didn't find this dll on the Vista machine due to which they cannot use my product. Customers can download this dll from net where it is is freely available, but I was looking for if it is possible to ship this dll along with my product. Can anyone point to the Legal agreement/ aspects of redistributing this dll with my product ?

Thanks,

Nitin

Thursday, January 25, 2007 12:26 PM

All replies

•  Nitin Sharma22 wrote:

Hi,

My product expects msvcp71.dll to be present on the target windows machine, but unfortunately my customers didn't find this dll on the Vista machine due to which they cannot use my product. Customers can download this dll from net where it is is freely available, but I was looking for if it is possible to ship this dll along with my product. Can anyone point to the Legal agreement/ aspects of redistributing this dll with my product ?

Thanks,

Nitin

Sunday, April 01, 2007 11:55 PM
  • I read that some of you say the dll file can be downloaded free, well tell me where and how. thanks Bruce
    Sunday, June 03, 2007 8:47 PM
  •  

Hi,

My  product also expects msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll to be present on tatrget machine , but on vista machine they are not being loaded. these dlls are present witin system32 folder on vista machine.We can use dlls from internet or Xp machine .But apart from this do i have any other solution or why my code is not able to pick  up the allready present dlls .

Thanks

Somil

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 1:03 PM
  • im in the same situation, i cant get msvcp71.dll

please help me , if i find it in the mean time i will respond

thank you ,    geosgonemad

Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:58 PM
  • http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcp71

Try this site, unzip and voila! :->

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 3:19 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion... but can Microsoft not offer a better solution?  Who the heck is dll-files.com, and why should I trust the binary files that they provide? 
    Tuesday, January 08, 2008 7:34 PM
  • This is kind of retarded actually. The thing is, msvcp71.dll is not a part of any framework, but rather it's supposed to be built and shipped along with the application that is designed to rely on this external .dll instead of having its code incorporated into it internally). But it's so common that many products are shipped without it, often because developers aren't even aware that they're supposed to ship it - they have it on their system and never get any problem. Furthermore, you need to know how to build it (or rather, know where to look to know how to build it - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k9a8ehy3(VS.71).aspx)

So technically it's the fault of the people who fail to ship the .dll their application relies on, and Microsoft is not obliged to provide it. But I agree they could still provide a generic version for download anyways, so that the users who happen to not have this file could still get it without resorting to suspicious third-parties. And the fact that this issue is so obscure to both developers and users is a ramification of a design decision made on Microsoft side.

Also, if you put this .dll into your system32 folder and it still doesn't see it, you might instead need to put it into the same folder as the .exe of the application that needs it (or modify the appropriate environment variable)

Friday, June 27, 2008 10:20 PM
  • I downloaded the file from that dll site, and it worked, however putting it in my sys32 folder didnt help I had to put it in the root directory with executable for the game itself.  Civ 4 on vista ult, was the culprit.  Good luck.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 1:04 AM
  • If you would put the file where it belongs in the System32 directory and the register the DLL - you would not have a problem:

START > RUN > (TYPE the Following)

regsvr32 "c:\windows\System32\msvcp71.dll"

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 6:10 AM
  • And what is the Licensing  On this Microsoft product ? Is it freely distributable, is it Open Source, or is it as according to some Microsoft licensing not allowed in an open source project whereby you are not selling the software but providing it with out charge. ??

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 6:15 AM
  • The Solution I went with:

Went to dll-files.com and downloaded msvcp71 and msvcr71. Unziped and placed in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder.

Use this if you are having problems on 64 bit vista
    Usually associated w/ realplayer 11 (the new one)
    Monday, July 13, 2009 9:58 PM
  • I believe that msvcr71.dll is not considered a system file anymore and should be installed in the same folder as the application that requires it. It should not be installed in the system32 folder. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326922

"For a list of files that are redistributable in Visual C++ .NET, see Redist.txt in the Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET directory on the second Visual Studio .NET product CD, or on the DVD. The redistributable files are located in the Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules directory." Taken from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa984372.aspx

"Visual Studio .NET provides its redistributable files in the form of merge modules. These merge modules encapsulate the redistributable DLLs and can be used by setup projects or other redistribution tools. Using the merge modules ensures that the correct files are redistributed with an application. However, if your installer does not support distributing merge modules, you can redistribute the DLLs embedded in the merge modules. You need to either extract the DLLs from the merge modules or get them from the product CD or DVD. Do not copy files from your hard disk." Taken from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa984684.aspx

Regards

Darren

Monday, May 24, 2010 11:51 AM
  • Hello Darren I think its suppose to be located under that folder the reason being when you are installing an application which needs it its going to look for that file from c:\windows\System32\ if it fails to locate it it is going to pop up an error. This is the way I have done it, I am running windows Vista, I took that file from another machine and simply pasted it in that folder then try to install my application, it worked.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 1:30 PM
  • I installed Visual Studio 2003 .NET and that resolved the issue for me. Microsoft should have a Visual Studio 200 redistributable package that can be installed.
    R.D. Holland
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Downloaded from where?  I want to tell users where they can download files if they get the error, and now can't find a place to send them for the DLLs...
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:20 PM
  • Hello Darren I think its suppose to be located under that folder the reason being when you are installing an application which needs it its going to look for that file from c:\windows\System32\ if it fails to locate it it is going to pop up an error. This is the way I have done it, I am running windows Vista, I took that file from another machine and simply pasted it in that folder then try to install my application, it worked.

The application should look in it's own folder first. Getting this file from system32 should be a last resort and placing it there could cause dll conflicts.
    Regards Darren Woodford
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:28 PM
  • Downloaded from where?  I want to tell users where they can download files if they get the error, and now can't find a place to send them for the DLLs...

Microsoft no longer provide this file for download. You should get it from the app developer. If you are the app developer you should provide it from your merge modules as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326922. Downloading this file from anywhere else is a potential security risk.
    Regards Darren Woodford
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:31 PM