none
Bug In DirectX GetDisplayModeList function

Question

• I'm not sure if this is the right forum.  I looked at several and this seemed the best fit.  Currently I think I may have found a bug in DirectX 11.

When calling GetDisplayModeList, just like the example at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb174549%28v=vs.85%29.aspx, I get a crash.  This does not normally happen except in a specific circumstance.

-    Windows 7
    -    Visual Studio 2012
    -    Using remote log in to run code.
    -    Linking with Windows SDK (not DirectX SDK)
    -    The machine has no monitor
    -    Win32 or Win64

GetDisplayModeList seems to not crash when connecting a monitor to the machine and manually running the code from it (no remote log in).  It feels like there is logic in the function that expects a monitor to be attached which is not my case.

If anybody knows a better place to ask about bugs I am all ears.

Friday, January 18, 2013 12:43 AM

All replies

• Have you been able to repro this on multiple machines and/or with multiple video vendor drivers?

Are you using dxgi.h or dxgi1_2.h?

Do you have DirectX 11.1 installed? (via the IE10 preview)

Monday, January 21, 2013 10:40 PM
  • It's one machine with a 9800 GT.  Also, we're using #include <DXGI.h>.  When one of our engineers gets back tomorrow I'll try out a different computer and the IE10 preview.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:56 PM
  • If you can put together a small standalone repro program, that would be great.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:04 PM
  • We reproduced the crash on an AMD 4800 and after installing the IE10 preview.  Also, there is a correction.  The Nvidia machine used a 9800 GTX+.

We'll try putting together a standalone program for you.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:41 PM
  • I now have a repro program.  How should I deliver it to you?
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:19 AM