none
Cannot delete file "eula.rtf"

Question

• Running Windows XP SP3. Done my normal Windows Update and after reboot checking the C: I notice there is a new folder called:

34844505fa[ETC]

Not sure when this folder was created, but I think it was after this last update. When I look inside this folder I see dozens of folders with names like 1025, 1028, 1033, and so on. Inside these folders are generally two files:

eula.rtf
    HotFixInstallerUI.dll

I've tried deleting these and I keep getting "access denied". I then tried rebooting in Safe Mode and still get the same. Its the same for all of these files.

Why can't I delete these files?

Thanks,
    Alain

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:11 PM

All replies

• After a bit more digging, I find tat the Windows Update process has created these folders (and files) on the HDD. The HDD is a NTFS volume and the security has been set so that no user, including the Adminstrators group, has any access to the files and folders. After modifying the security so that the Adminstrators (and SYSTEM user for good measure) have "Full Access", I find I can now delete the files and folder.

Hopefully that will be useful to someone.

Regards,
    Alain

<Alain Dekker>; <2> wrote in message news:761704c0-dfc5-48c0-ae4e-3202371e4295@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Running Windows XP SP3. Done my normal Windows Update and after reboot checking the C: I notice there is a new folder called:

34844505fa[ETC]

Not sure when this folder was created, but I think it was after this last update. When I look inside this folder I see dozens of folders with names like 1025, 1028, 1033, and so on. Inside these folders are generally two files:

eula.rtf
    HotFixInstallerUI.dll

I've tried deleting these and I keep getting "access denied". I then tried rebooting in Safe Mode and still get the same. Its the same for all of these files.

Why can't I delete these files?

Thanks,
    Alain

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:10 PM
  • I have the same problem too. I have dozens of operating system locked   folders with long alphanumeric names. I have tried everything possible to delete these folders but cant delete them. I suspect that they are being created by my Visual Studios 2010.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 3:40 PM
  • hey friends, I was trying since last few days & trying to downloading different removal tools but I didn't success. There are too many eula.rtf files and different folders that having long name. Whenever I open my C:\\9efhdsfhsdfasdf3838n ..... I really fed up. When I was trying to delete them, it shows me "Access denied ". After that I tried by myself and I got solution. It is so simple just change the permission rights on particular folder, after that you will be able to delete folder. Its so easy :)

Step 1: Right click on "folder" - click on "properties" - click on "security" Tab - click on "Advance" - click on "Owner" - click on "Edit" - Select "current user or admin" - click on "Replace owner or subcontainers and objects" - select "Apply" - Select "OK" + "Ok" + "Ok" ... close all widnow of properties.

Now try to delete that folder or file. Congrats :) you have deleted file , finally :)))

cheers !

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Thank you for the security hint.

It helped a lot.

With best regards,

bostjanc

Thursday, December 27, 2012 10:15 AM
  • can anyone say WHY it happens after updating XP?
    Friday, January 18, 2013 10:32 AM