none
Event log error 7042 - The Windows Search Service is being stopped because there is a problem with the indexer: The catalog is corrupt.

Question

• Hi there.

Over the last two days, when I turn my laptop on, something was freezing the system before it fully loaded Windows. In Event Viewer, there are multiple errors in source: search:

7010 - The index cannot be initialized.  Details:  The content index catalog is corrupt. (HRESULT : 0xc0041801) (0xc0041801)

7040 - The search service has detected corrupted data files in the index {id=4400}. The service will attempt to automatically correct this problem by rebuilding the index.

Details: The content index catalog is corrupt. (HRESULT : 0xc0041801) (0xc0041801)

Details: The content index catalog is corrupt. (HRESULT : 0xc0041801) (0xc0041801)

7031 - The Windows Search service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 30000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

My laptop has done this twice in two days. I have recently installed ParetoLogic PC Health Advisor and cleaned my registry etc.

After completing a search on the Internet, I found a response to this error with a solution.

I ran cmd, with sfc /scannow, which advised no errors were detected.  I opened regedit and confirned DWORD is set to 1 on the setupcompleted line which I didn't need to change.

Can you please advise what this error means, what it will do to my system if not fixed, and PLEASE advise how I can fix it....

Many thanks in advance.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:56 AM

All replies

• October 01, 2011: Experiencing the exact same symptoms on a brand new Toshiba notebook after a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium.

Been trying to solve this very same problem for three days to no avail. Done all the Google searches and finally arrived at this thread.

Anyone?

Saturday, October 01, 2011 10:17 PM