none
"Pin to Taskbar" verb missing from context menu of shortcuts created by MSI

Question

• This problem is happening to all MSIs that I create.  However, for the sake of simplicity let's discuss only a single app/MSI.

Once installed I can right-click on the .exe file and use "Pin to Taskbar".  I can manually create a shortcut to the .exe file and use "Pin to Taskbar".  But all shortcuts created by my MSI file are missing the "Pin to Taskbar" verb.

• The .exe file is named "Tele.exe".  The shortcuts are named "AHA TELE.lnk".  AFAIK these names shouldn't be on the Windows 7 taskbar blacklist.
    • I have manually added an MsiShortcutProperty table to the MSI file with Orca and created values to install "System.AppUserModel.ID" for each shortcut.  This enables the "Pin to Start Menu" verb, but NOT the "Pin to Taskbar" verb.
    • I have manually injected my .exe file into the Orca.Msi in place of Orca.exe.  The "Pin to Taskbar" verb is created for all shortcuts EXCEPT if the ProductCode value is changed in the Property table.  If the ProductCode value is changed in any way the packages works normally, but the "Pin to Taskbar" verb is not exposed.
    Anybody have an idea what I am doing wrong or omitting?

Friday, July 23, 2010 10:02 PM

All replies

• Has the same issue and no solution yet.
    SDE, Lime Systems
    Friday, September 10, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Set the DISABLEADVTSHORTCUTS property to 1 in the property table of your MSI file using whatever method your setup tool provides. The issue is probably just that MSI-generated shortcuts are different, and setting that property will make them like others.

Phil Wilson
    Monday, September 13, 2010 10:17 PM
  • But this is not a solution. I want advertised shortcut with this menu item such as Arobat Reader shortcut context menu items.
    SDE, Lime Systems
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:13 AM
  • An advertised shortcut is one created by Windows Installer. You cannot pin these to the taskbar. To fix that, do as I suggested. Why do you want an advertised shortcut? What feature of advertised shortcuts are you looking for? You can't have it both ways. Create non-MSI shortcuts and allow them to be pinned, or create MSI shortcuts and don't allow them to be pinned.

Phil Wilson
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:45 PM
  • How about Acrobat Reader 9.3.4 shortcut as a sample? http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/972/arash.jpg
    SDE, Lime Systems
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:08 PM
  • Check your registry for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\[exe name] . Remove that key and you should have the pinning options again (without logging out or restarting too!)

In my scenario, my installer file (created by InstallAware) has the same name as the program launcher exe. I am guessing that when I run the installer, the installer exe name gets added to that registry location so you can't use the pinning options. I changed my installer file output name with InstallAware and that solved the issue. It was not enough to do a simple rename of my installer exe.

Monday, April 04, 2011 10:15 PM