none
PDF search problem

Question

• With WDS 3.01, re-installed (removed, re-installed because it would not initiate on rebooting Windows XP SP2) I have a problem with the PDF iFilter.

On searching the desktop and if a PDF file is located, I'm asked if I want to open or save the file (rather than seeing its contents). This is the File Download dialogue in Windows XP: "Do you want to open or save this file?" 

The iFilter that I am using is the latest from Foxit Software (I had uninstalled all previous, before the re-install of WDS 3.01).

I have checked that the PDF file type is set with "Index Properties and File Contents"

Sorry this should be in the "Help" forum.

Monday, April 21, 2008 4:37 PM

Answers

• Yes, if the PDF is the first file located or if I move the cursor down to a PDF, then I got that dialogue.

It seems that the process of removing then installing Adobe Acrobat Reader fixed the problem (so, I will mark my own current post as the Answer.

All fixed now - and no ready explanation that I can discern. Can you?

Sure, I can tell Windows XP to use Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of Foxit.

I can't see any point in marking each and every PDF file as you suggest - file Attributes: Attributes>Advanced>Archive and Index Attributes>Check-For Fast Searching, allow Indexing Service to index this file.

I still see the Foxit iFilter installed on my system. I don't see the Adobe PDF iFilter v8 though. And I can't locate a download for that iFilter. I would rather Adobe's iFilter - unless someone can recommend a better one. And, where do I get it from?

This is all very disheartening. These absolutely fundamental things like iFilters and desktop search should not cause so much grief. What do you reckon?

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 6:35 AM

All replies

• Sorry this should be in the "Help" forum - but I will continue here.

Just to add that I have both the Foxit PDF Reader, and the Adobe Acrobat Reader (latest patched version 8.1.2) installed - but the Foxit thing has the PDF file association.

I think that is where the problem arises (I found a forum post that suggests it - http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3126342&SiteID=1)

I'm very unsure now of the way to fix this problem, while retaining my WDS 3.01 indexes.

Should I uninstall all the Foxit software (ie, iFilter and PDF Reader), and also Adobe Reader 8.1.2, then re-install Adobe Reader? I note that the PDF iFilter v8 is bundled with the Adobe Reader (and I assume that means that it will be automatically installed).

It's a pity if I have to throw out the Foxit stuff.

Monday, April 21, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Hi Ian,

Thank you for your inquiry.  Do you receive the prompt to open or save the file after clicking the PDF file in the search results view? Also, you may check the program that the PDF file opens with. You may view this by right clicking the PDF file>Properties>Opens with. You may also check the file Attributes: Attributes>Advanced>Archive and Index Attributes>Check-For Fast Searching, allow Indexing Service to index this file.

Also, to clarify, by seeing its contents, do you mean viewing a preview of the file (contents?)

Thank you,

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:31 PM
  • Yes, if the PDF is the first file located or if I move the cursor down to a PDF, then I got that dialogue.

It seems that the process of removing then installing Adobe Acrobat Reader fixed the problem (so, I will mark my own current post as the Answer.

All fixed now - and no ready explanation that I can discern. Can you?

Sure, I can tell Windows XP to use Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of Foxit.

I can't see any point in marking each and every PDF file as you suggest - file Attributes: Attributes>Advanced>Archive and Index Attributes>Check-For Fast Searching, allow Indexing Service to index this file.

I still see the Foxit iFilter installed on my system. I don't see the Adobe PDF iFilter v8 though. And I can't locate a download for that iFilter. I would rather Adobe's iFilter - unless someone can recommend a better one. And, where do I get it from?

This is all very disheartening. These absolutely fundamental things like iFilters and desktop search should not cause so much grief. What do you reckon?

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 6:35 AM
  • Follow-up: I installed the WS4.0 product. Seems OK, still a huge amount of disk activity, and only 40% through the reindexing process 48 hours after installing it. My indexable files total is about 850K files (was with WDS3.01), only up to 330K now.

Really, I'm not greatly impressed with WDS from 2.x through to 3.01, and 4.0 does not seem to be so great either.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 6:43 AM
  • Hi Ian,

Thank you for your feedback and for previewing WS 4.0.  Yes, Adobe Reader 8.0 currently bundles a 32-bit PDF iFilter.  Adobe Reader 8.0 and the Foxit iFilter may be used as an add in for WDS and WS 4.0. This will allow for Indexing and searching for text within PDF documents.

Adobe Reader 8.0 is also available for download here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/choose/windowsdesktopsearch.mspx

This is listed under the option: Personalize It in addition to other available Add-ins for Windows Desktop Search.

Thank you,

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:01 PM