none
Setupapi.lib is missing for ARM

Question

• Hello All,

I have written a small application to open a handle to a device.

To get the device path from driver interface GUID I have used SeupdiXXXX APIs. My application is building fine for x86 and x64 but for ARM it gives following error

"LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'setupapi.lib'"

When I have searched WDK 8.0, I found Setupapi.dll is there for x64 and x86 at their respective location

"\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Lib\win8\um\x64"

but this file is not there for ARM.

My question is

1. whether SetupDiXXXX APIs are not supported for ARM?

2. Am I missing something and need to install some patch or software for the support of ARM?

3. An issue from Microsoft side?

Thanks,

Haider.

Friday, January 20, 2012 5:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• the ability to compile and link native arm applications is currently limited to the arm hw partners, so what you are seeing is intentional.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 6:21 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Doron.

Could you please point me some link through which I can get this information, that you have said. Basically I need to communicate these things to management so a link will be better and save a lot of writing.

Moreover I am also not aware of this terminology "arm hardware partners" like who they are, how one can become a partner and so on. Your help in this regard will be very much helpful for me.

in answer to similar question http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wdk/thread/9c5b1aee-aa6b-4131-97df-cc7afa67d2d6 that I have asked in other thread, you have said

compile native applications (whichs also applies to DLLs like a UMDF driver) is limited to the current set of ARM hardware partners.

does it mean that hardware vendor's who are not ARM partner can not provide support for their device for ARM platform??

Friday, January 20, 2012 6:41 AM
  • Any one please??
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:27 AM
  • > does it mean that hardware vendor's who are not ARM partner can not provide support for their device for ARM platform??

correct.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:40 AM
  • Thanks, Doron and sorry to bother you again, but could you please point me some white paper/release note or anything that has mentioned this "only ARM HW partner can compile and link". I dont want to validate your reply the only reason to need these things to convey my point to management.

Your help in this regard is highly appriciated.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:43 AM
  • look through the //build/ conference materials, it is in it somewhere.....
    • Marked as answer by Haider Minto Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:29 AM
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 6:15 AM
  • Hallo Doron,

this is not really helpfull for IHV vendors that have support for new hardware independend from underlaying platform (like Intel/Arm). I'am in next time in Taiwan and must support X86/X64 systems and ARM. Normally I need only recompile and all is fine. But I cannot, maybe I can write my own MSBuild support,  but it seems than some important files are missing. I'm member in normal EEAP but I cannot support all platforms with my driver.

regards

mathias

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:24 AM
  • the ability to target for ARM is limited to the hardware partners creating the hardware itself

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:58 PM
  • Hi Doron,

We are a IHV to provide USB Flash Memory Card Reader to Toshiba. Toshiba request us to provide a driver to support selective suspend on their tablet based on ARM. We already have this driver on x86 and x64 but we need to rebuild our driver for ARM.

How can we become the ARM HW partner?

Jimmy

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:08 AM
  • talk to toshiba, they can manage the relationship

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:23 AM
  • Doron,

Thanks for your reply.

Jimmy

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:47 AM
  • I am trying to build my code in Visual studio 2012 for ARM platform. My code need to make setupAPI calls. I also could not find Setupapi.lib and version.lib in "Windows Kits\8.0\Lib\win8\um\arm path"

How could i build my code so that i can debug issues for Win RT?

Friday, November 09, 2012 11:24 AM
  • you cannot build and run a desktop application for windows RT. what application are you trying to port?

Friday, November 09, 2012 6:06 PM
  • The issue is opened by MSFT that our Scanner Inbox driver is not working in WinRT . Same is working in  Win 8 OS.When i tried to build my code to debug the issue , I found setupapi.lib is missing for ARM platform.While delivering the inbox code , it was built in MSFT's build environment.

We enumerate all the USB connected scanner using SetupApi API hence we need setupAPI.lib. We also need other libs(version.lib etc) which are not available with the VS 2012. We have a WinRT prototype device but how could i debug unless i build the code.

Asfaque Alam

Lexmark International

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:20 AM